• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butter...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butter...

I know its not really a commodity but my wife was in Costco and butter prices were up from 3.99 to 4.99....

And locally they are 5.60....it seems that the government funded people are able to extract from my tax pocket and my wallet at the same time.....

Doubt the dairies with their worry about market access from other countries is being validated...

Why when back swan events hit ....my output value goes down while everyone else's goes up...
    Last edited by bucket; Feb 16, 2020, 09:04.

supply management = welfare

Comment

Buy it at Christmas when it's on sale for 2.99. Buy 50 lbs, throw in freezer and good for the year.

Comment

The consumers are paying for higher priced butter and also putting their tax dollars into the 4 billion payout to dairy....

Much the same as dryland farmers and taxpayers subsidizing irrigation districts 200 dollars an acre over 5 years...in saskatchewan...I was told that irrigation adds to our prosperity. ....just about threw up....

Comment

Butter is in short supply right now because milk is short in North America. The poor summer weather has meant poorer forage quality and the cows are producing a bit less this winter. US milk prices are up 20% over the last four months. Butter is made and put into storage during periods of high production (typically in the spring) and is in demand late in the year when storage is drawn down. Higher prices are just reflective of storage level draw down.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
            Butter is in short supply right now because milk is short in North America. The poor summer weather has meant poorer forage quality and the cows are producing a bit less this winter. US milk prices are up 20% over the last four months. Butter is made and put into storage during periods of high production (typically in the spring) and is in demand late in the year when storage is drawn down. Higher prices are just reflective of storage level draw down.
            but supply management...yes?

Comment

And there are dairies going broke....

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                And there are dairies going broke....
                If you pay %40.000 per cow for quota is it any wonder, Nothing to do with milking all about putting the price of quota into the price of milk. Makes those with quota very rich,considering most quota was free not that many yrs ago.

Comment

I wouldn't say that the dairies are getting any of the increase. I do alot of the grocery shopping in our house, and most everything has gone up 5-50% in the past couple weeks. Talking to a manager at a local store that sells some groceries, she said that prices were going up and/or product sizes going down on virtually everything. I think it has to do more with carbon tax and all the increases along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
                    I wouldn't say that the dairies are getting any of the increase. I do alot of the grocery shopping in our house, and most everything has gone up 5-50% in the past couple weeks. Talking to a manager at a local store that sells some groceries, she said that prices were going up and/or product sizes going down on virtually everything. I think it has to do more with carbon tax and all the increases along the way.
                    Hmmm , a lot of people on here seen this coming a long time ago .
                    Disposable income is about to be drained hard for everyone on the back of this carbon tax scheme.
                    Careful what thy wish for .....

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                      Disposable income is about to be drained hard for everyone on the back of this carbon tax scheme.
                      Yes but this message has not gotten out to the general public. That small tax being compounded at the farm, processor, multiple transports, wholesaler then retailer is going to add up huge.

On the butter thing, yes has gotten more expensive over the last number of years but part of it is due to the supply and demand factors that have changed in Dairy. The demand for cheese and butter has gone up huge the last 10yrs and outpaced the fluid milk consumption. The quota system has been changed to reflect that over time also. There are staring to be quite a few Jerseys (high milk fat) being milked again where 20yrs ago was virtually all holstein in western canada.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
                        Yes but this message has not gotten out to the general public. That small tax being compounded at the farm, processor, multiple transports, wholesaler then retailer is going to add up huge.

On the butter thing, yes has gotten more expensive over the last number of years but part of it is due to the supply and demand factors that have changed in Dairy. The demand for cheese and butter has gone up huge the last 10yrs and outpaced the fluid milk consumption. The quota system has been changed to reflect that over time also. There are staring to be quite a few Jerseys (high milk fat) being milked again where 20yrs ago was virtually all holstein in western canada.
                        Ag minsiter BoBo is going to study if carbon taxes increase grain farmers cost of production. But Supply management will be granted increased milk, egg, poultry prices in the pricing formulas as a result of the carbon tax. Cant make this stuff up.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                          Ag minsiter BoBo is going to study if carbon taxes increase grain farmers cost of production. But Supply management will be granted increased milk, egg, poultry prices in the pricing formulas as a result of the carbon tax. Cant make this stuff up.
                          Bobo has been visiting a lot of Quebecer dairy farms lately to get her marching orders. Even though she is representing Canada, Bobo always points out the dairy owners she visits are “Quebecers”.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                            Furrow you are right on with your comment.....just drive around and look at gas..... nothing under $1.00 per litre infact $1.17 plus...look at food, parts, shipping costs, power and gas.....it’s all sky rocketing on account of a phucking ideological depressive anti product dream tax brought to you by the children government and the flakes they have running it.....

Truedope, climax Barbie, the uke from Peace River that needs a new wardrobe....::they remind me of the drama group kids in high school....udder useless, clueless, damage inflicting opportunity killing dopes.

Income is being drained at a rapid pace and we are all going to be poorer at the end of the day and wonder where the hell it all went.

These chickens are going to come home, how can land continue to go up? Equipment cost soar? Inputs come down nothing? Grain go down or stay the same.....seriously we can’t keep this up. I am glad I have been paying off debt the last 5 years rather than reinvesting it into a coat squeezed industry and a government that doesn’t have a clue and is doing more damage.
                            Last edited by Crestliner; Feb 16, 2020, 21:57.

Comment

If you look at average fuel prices from 2011 -2014 you can see that prices before the carbon tax were much higher than now.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/cv.action?pid=1810000101#timeframe https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/cv.action?pid=1810000101#timeframe .

It was beginning of the end of the commodity boom that started while Harper was in office. Is Harper to blame?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.