• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tandem vs tridem vs splitting super-b

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tandem vs tridem vs splitting super-b

How much will a tandem trailer haul legally?
    I'm debating between a super-b and splitting it at harvest with 2 trucks (have 2 decent tractor units, 1 heavy spec, 1 lighter) or a straight trailer.

A tridem is good for 32 tonnes? How much is a tandem legal for?

I've been selling all my grain either at the bin for feed or 3 miles to local richardsons but with a tridem or super-b I would have options. Not sure how far a haul is worth it with a tandem?

Thanks

Split super b's are not good at harvest because it is tight for a swing auger. The likelihood of running over your hopper increases with the reduced span between the landing gear and tires.

We have a couple tandem trailer a triaxle and a set of super b's. The super b's are going down the road next for a triaxle as it is the handiest seeding and harvest.

Depending on your tare you are 26 to 27mt on a tandem trailer. 3 miles to town you are better off with a cheaper tandem trailer that investing in a set of super b's. IMO. DYODD.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
      How much will a tandem trailer haul legally?
      I'm debating between a super-b and splitting it at harvest with 2 trucks (have 2 decent tractor units, 1 heavy spec, 1 lighter) or a straight trailer.

A tridem is good for 32 tonnes? How much is a tandem legal for?

I've been selling all my grain either at the bin for feed or 3 miles to local richardsons but with a tridem or super-b I would have options. Not sure how far a haul is worth it with a tandem?

Thanks
      Legal gvw:
      Tandem trailer: 39.5mT
      Tridem trailer: 46.5mT
      Sup B: 63.5mT

What are guys typically tareing with tandems? 15ish? So 24.5 net?

Father in laws tridem is fairly heavy built, and he tares 16, so 30.5mT on his tridem unit

My supers tare 18.5. Lots of guys 19-19.5, have seen legacies pulled by light spec trucks coming in under 18.

Pup on super is handy, and behaves much like a regular tandem does, you might have to slide your 5th wheel back to avoid ripping off your mud flaps though as the pin depth is shallower.

Lead is not all that great on it's own... it's impossible to get a "legal load" on it as you physically cant get the weight onto the tridem set. Puts a fair amount of stress on the frame and supports as they aren't really designed to be run on their own.

I regularly drop the lead in the yard at seeding time and use it for small amounts of seed or fert when switching crops. Pull the pup with seed and fert. Also drop the lead if its wet at harvest and just pull the pup.

Other thing to consider is it certainly helps to have full wrap fenders on your truck when pulling just the pup as they dont have fenders on the front like leads typically do.

Comment

12.5 tonne tare on our tandem.

Comment

Doepker tandem off super b with a daycab is just over 12 tare.
          Super b with steel Doepker 18.7 or so. The Wilson's are about 700kg more

I agree with treating the lead of a super b with care. They can be damaged if overloaded which is really easy to do

Comment

I am 13mt tare on my tandem trailer. Winter weights on tandem in Sask is 41.5 mt. No winter weights on tridem but you can still haul a reasonable amount during road bans. Super b's in Sask are 62.5mt with winter weights at 63.5mt.

Licensing is alot more on a the tractor pulling a super b versus a tandem or triaxle so there is that too.
            Last edited by LEP; Feb 14, 2020, 11:06.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
              I am 13mt tare on my tandem trailer. Winter weights on tandem in Sask is 41.5 mt. No winter weights on tridem but you can still haul a reasonable amount during road bans. Super b's in Sask are 62.5mt with winter weights at 63.5mt.

Licensing is alot more on a the tractor pulling a super b versus a tandem or triaxle so there is that too.
              It's amazing the differences that still exist between provinces...

I was going off Alberta numbers. Im fairly sure registration is the same for all tractor units here regardless of weight. Even if there is a difference it is minimal. 63.5 costs me ~$100 for a farm plate. It was $3600 when I was commercial.

Comment

our two freight liners , one with steel doepker tandem and sleeper, one with aluminum wilson and day cab both tare at 13,000 depending on fuel
                haul 26.5 mt primary , 28.5 winter
                was curious the other day saw a tri drive tractor with a tridem trailer , what can they haul? is a tri drive recognized ins Sask?
                tandem trailers nice and versatile around yard and narrow approaches , put trailer wheels in ditch on corners enough with them , lol, let alone a tridem

Comment

Winter weight for tandem trailer is 42t and 40t on summer primary. I have a daycab with doepker tandem high side that’s 11.8t full of fuel, but the heavier trucks are high 12’s to low 13’s.

Tough to justify the tridem unless you can load it full.

Comment

If you have a light duty day cab truck and a tandem trailer you will almost haul as much as a heavy spec truck with a mouse house pulling a tridem. But remember you don’t have 3 hoppers

Iceman

Comment

I wish I was lighter, Tare is 19,600kg in the summer with 1/2 tank fuel, and +/- 20,600kg in the winter with some snow buildup and two full sets of chains on the truck, can be way heavier though if really slushy. Wilson super B’s.
                      But I would never go away from Super B’s, they are awesome. Heavy truck though. Truck tare alone is 9,500kg.

Comment

Originally posted by megrizzly View Post
                        Winter weight for tandem trailer is 42t and 40t on summer primary. I have a daycab with doepker tandem high side that’s 11.8t full of fuel, but the heavier trucks are high 12’s to low 13’s.

Tough to justify the tridem unless you can load it full.

You can only load that if you have the wide front tires and get 6000 kg on the front axle. 11" tires will get you at 39,500 and 41,500.

Comment

I've been splitting super b's for several years and I live close to grain terminals. Its great to split at seeding and harvest and put together in the winter when hauling from the bin. I like the flexibility but like someone else said not great with a swing. A Rodono fixed that problem.

I can legally haul 43.5 MT with Super B.

Tridems Can usually Haul about 32 MT

Tandems Can Usually Haul 27-28 MT

A couple years ago we bought a Wilson Commander Trailer its a Tandem With 3 Hoppers. Same Cu Feet as a Tri, but Can only Legally Haul about 28 Tonnes very handy at seeding time though. lots of clearance and nice to have the extra separation.

Comment

Some here use cameras on the trailers to see the swing from truck.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                              It's amazing the differences that still exist between provinces...

I was going off Alberta numbers. Im fairly sure registration is the same for all tractor units here regardless of weight. Even if there is a difference it is minimal. 63.5 costs me ~$100 for a farm plate. It was $3600 when I was commercial.
                              The registrations are in my trucks, but I think the tractor that I pull the trains with is about $2200 and the one on the tandem trailer is around $1000. The trailers are a little over $100 each. Can’t switch trucks without upping the weight on the registration.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.