• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nh3 to liquid

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nh3 to liquid

Would I be crazy to switch to liquid? I like that they bring nh3 out but delivery charge is getting out of hand I think.

I should have said has anyone had regrets switching to liquid from anhydrous? I hate smelling that shit all spring to

Comment

NH3 is the cheapest form of nitrogen vs liquid being most expensive.
      (I’ve never used liquid so can’t compare applying it.)
      Last edited by Oliver88; Feb 5, 2020, 07:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
        Would I be crazy to switch to liquid?
        Yes.

(you asked)

Comment

Not sure what the price difference is between Nh3 and liquid but that might be the biggest factor. Last time I checked liquid had a 20% premium over nh3, that was years ago. We’re booked in at $0.48 for a pound of N for this spring, not sure what 28-0-0 is priced at.

Comment

You almost need storage, nurse truck, and so on. 3 times the filling. Some neighbors tried it. Most went back due to inconvenience, cost, application rate needed etc.

But if you want to, no ones stopping you... not trying to be negative just because.

Comment

I wound never switch to liquid in 100 years. Way to expensive and corrosive.

Comment

The only legitimate reason I can think of is if you don't want to trust your retailer to hold prepay money for NH3. You can store 28-0-0 on farm but storing NH3 isn't really an option. In that event though I think I'd put up with the headache of applying 46-0-0 at seeding rather than pay the premium for 28-0-0.

Comment

Paid $300mt or .49/lb for 28 delivered. I have a NH3 applicator in the bush. No banders on the drill. But you need tanks and a way to deliver unless land is close. Ran 55gal through a 2.5" side band opener with 1.5" seperation and have gone as high as 75gal looking for the burn Gerry talks about, but haven't seen it here yet on canola. 10-34 is usually ridiculous price(if you can get it) so don't use any more then you have to. If it's delivery on NH3 that's pushing you this way your gonna pay more due to less dense product but you aren't waiting either if you have tanks. Some of the coops will deliver to the drill for a price if you don't want tanks. It isn't for everyone. I'll add it depends on your retailer and if they are competitive. Huge variance i find
                  Last edited by macdon02; Feb 5, 2020, 10:04.

Comment

For me.
                    I love love love liquid.
                    But....
                    I get nursed in a timely and cost effective manner. I am reasonably close to dealer.
                    It is somewhat more expensive.
                    But....
                    It is a blendable, customizable product. N & S together at the least.
                    It is safe and versatile in application. Never once a plug of any kind.
                    I get section control for peanuts.
                    Cheap parts. In three years not one minute downtime from equipment failure.
                    This plus my acres per fill by taking N & S out of air tank offset higher cost for me.
                    Again, just me. Least labor and time cost for me as well.
                    Yes, corrosive. Keep it away from moving parts if possible and paint.
                    Last edited by blackpowder; Feb 5, 2020, 11:34.

Comment

Now, if I ran the biggest Bourgault had super bs to run with cheap labor it wouldn't matter. Then I would store my own 46.
                      Last edited by blackpowder; Feb 5, 2020, 14:38.

Comment

We run our liquid all through sprayer bought mine at 47 c a pound .It is priced the same per actual pound of N as 46 0 0 the nice thing is you don't contaminate augers just pump it on and off, have stainless steel tank at home. Don.t have patience to wait for product in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
                          Would I be crazy to switch to liquid? I like that they bring nh3 out but delivery charge is getting out of hand I think.
                          You have to consider the pros and cons of each fertilizer. If you have limited help at seeding then stay with NH3 because it is delivered right to you. Liquid requires a lot more filling for the same amount of N. and also you will have to haul it yourself. If you have on time delivery issues with NH3 then maybe liquid is the way to go. Liquid is very corrosive which is a big consideration to factor in. Liquid fertilizer if not mixed good enough can cause system filters to plug.NH3 is your cheapest form of nitrogen and liquid the most expensive. I have experience with NH3, dry and liquid. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. I know NH3 is dangerous to be around but you are setup for it,I would stay with it. There would be a big cost to switch over to liquid including seeder, maybe storage tanks in yard and trucks for hauling This is only my opinion and hope I was some help.

Comment

We switched to liquid over 15 years ago . Works well for us , but everyone is different. All our land is close and we just pull a pup with liquid tank that’s matched up to our seed for acres . We learned a long time ago that you don’t have to put 100% down at seeding . Like Tubs we run some through the sprayer stream banding when needed to top up . Never ever have plugging issues or wait times at seeding . Blends are easy to do and micros are very easy to add if needed.
                            28 at times can be bought for much the same as NH3 or 46 if your set up with decent storage.
                            NH3 and 28 were much the same price in October. We stay flexible, we did NH3 this fall though just because we were short on man power and time limited . Only needed one guy to fertilize as they delivered for the same price as 28. The other guy did coulter harrowing and fall slough work . Made better use of our time
                            We ran a comparison a few years back in the fall, NH3 , 28 and super U broadcast side by side on a few fields all with N stabilizers. By the time you do all costs the 28 streamed on was actually the cheapest way to go per acre , NH3 stabilizer was very expensive and so was super U. And it’s fairly fast. But getting N in the ground had the best return , but all were very close, that was canola and wheat.
                            So end of the day do what works best for you. NH3 may be priced cheaper at times but it’s application costs are more with diesel , time and machinery depreciation for fall applications.
                            Spring seeding time , yes for sure if you are full load fertilizer it’s a lot of product . We now are doing biosul for S , which also helps decrease volume of liquid. So far it’s working very well.

Comment

Absolutely, everyone's situation different. I do not wish to go back to pumping 100s of pounds of hygroscopic salt with humid air. And our prill quality getting worse too.
                              I should add, we fert fairly heavy.
                              Also, I can pump from 0 to 50+ gpa at will with 5 gpm hydraulics.
                              Only one fan now.
                              I forgot to buy a new tractor and cart I guess.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...