• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soil organic matter

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soil organic matter

See concern from some about dropping levels of organic matter and suggestions that we change rotations or cropping patterns in order to maintain or increase it.
    Higher levels generally go along with fertility and yield potential so should add to land value but have to wonder how much.
    Might depend on crops we grow and their response, legume crops with nitrogen fixing ability might be less affected than cereals but science may get it for cereals too.
    Question comes up about selling straw and removal of crop residue, maybe should stop doing that before changing other things.

Since adopting direct seeding years ago our organic matter has gone up quite a bit. Practicing a good crop rotation is pretty important. We do allow some neighbours to bale straw some years but in most years we decline. Most cattle guys don't expect to pay, not realizing that its their is at least $10 value of nutrients in each bale. Our agronomist doesn't like us doing it as he plans on those nutrients going back in the soil. If there is an extra heavy rye straw there we are more likely to allow it. If it is baled then will be many years before that field is baled again.

Comment

As long as u are putting higher fert rates than expected yield potential removal u shud be building OM. As James stated if the foreign material is left and more importantly incorporated or spread properly it shud benefit the building of OM.

Comment

My opinion is the interaction between the biology of the soil and the roots is where you are building the majority of your organic matter, more living plants longer means faster increase in OM. This is why zero till or minimal till has helped to build organic matter, not because of the material grown on top. If we don't disturb the biology/roots in the soil the organic matter created won't be oxidized. Hence the big push for cover crops etc, however you also need the climate to grow them...

Comment

Surface straw is a smaller factor by far than what many people often think. Roots are number one. Then there is the stubble, the dried up leaves, the chaff. Straw matters, but not as much as one would think.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
            Surface straw is a smaller factor by far than what many people often think. Roots are number one. Then there is the stubble, the dried up leaves, the chaff. Straw matters, but not as much as one would think.
            Spoken like a true animal farmer. Straw is worthless so let me do you a favor and bale it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucker View Post
              Spoken like a true animal farmer. Straw is worthless so let me do you a favor and bale it.
              What?

Comment

I said straw is worthless?

Comment

It takes over 30 years, and in studies, even up to 50 years of straw removal to start to have an impact on soil organic matter.

This article, citing a study by guy Lafond backs me up.

https://www.topcropmanager.com/baling-straw-can-be-done-sustainably-5003/

Comment

A true animal farmer also returns nutrients to the soil. It’s called manure.

Comment

There is 1000 lbs of nitrogen per acre in 1% of Organic matter. 10,000 lbs of Carbon. What you see on top is organic material - not organic matter. An acre of soil 6 inches deep weighs approximately 2,000,000 pounds, which means that 1 percent SOM weighs about 20,000 pounds per acre. Under average conditions it takes at least 10 pounds of organic material to decompose into 1 pound of organic matter, so it takes at least 200,000 pounds (100 tons) of organic material applied or returned to the soil to add 1 percent.

So basically if you fertilized your wheat crop with 100 lbs of N per year for 10 years and never harvested or removed anything during those 10 years, you would increase your OM by 1% once the organic matter actually broke down to OM from 10 to 50 years.

Comment

Dumb comment in general but also not what he has said or suggested.

To turn that back at you I've seen lots of guys burn straw rather than give it away because they had too much to deal with. That is pretty dumb also. If you learn to work with your neighbors instead of against them life might just be more pleasant.
                        Last edited by GDR; Feb 1, 2020, 22:26.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                          A true animal farmer also returns nutrients to the soil. It’s called manure.
                          Organic value aside there is about 20 dollars of nutrients in a straw bale, and no, I am not going to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                            Organic value aside there is about 20 dollars of nutrients in a straw bale, and no, I am not going to give it away.
                            I never asked for or told anyone to give away their straw. I am simply pointing out that relative to other dry matter straw removal is less than most guys think. And the fact soil om doesn’t suffer for 30 to 50 years of removal, it simply isn’t as big a deal as many seem to think. Everyone knows there is nutrient value in straw. Not everyone knows the result of 50 year old straw removal impacts, or lack of, on soil om.

Comment

It wasn't my intention to single you out Sheepwheat. If you feel that way I'm sorry. I am upset that everyone seems to see straw as waste. Any biofuel proposal has line items for baling and transportation of straw but seem to think that farmers are getting a favor by having their 'waste' straw removed for them. I'm also upset with cattle farmers who have 5 or 8 bales burst their netwrap and just leave them in your field. I'm upset with cattle farmers who don't haul the bales off because they are busy when you are trying to get in and do a post harvest pass with the sprayer before freeze up. I'm upset with cattle farmers who miss a half dozen swaths on the far side of a tree line that you find the next spring plugging your air seeder. I am upset with cattle farmers who when they do grudgingly pay $5 per bale give you a rubber check. So yes, if I have a straw 'problem' I will 100% every time burn it now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...