• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CDC breaks ties with Pulse Growers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CDC breaks ties with Pulse Growers

I have no info to support this idea. But I wonder if the break isn't payback from a certain breeder's failed attempt to gain a seat on the pulse growers board.

I think he is a petty vindictive little man.
    Last edited by LEP; Jan 27, 2020, 09:36.

Originally posted by LEP View Post
    I have no info to support this idea. But I wonder if the break isn't payback from a certain breeder's failed attempt to gain a seat on the pulse growers board.

Is that who they wanted to appoint?

CDC is funded by who?

Maybe it needs a shakeup?

Comment

Not sure of the total funding structure of CDC but I do know that SPG put a tonne of money in for pulse breeding.

I think the CDC smells royalties.

Comment

From what I understand this goes beyond any one person. There is a new "interim" director running the CDC. I did get to the SPG annual meeting. The discussion about appointed directors and the clear voices of a lot at the meeting that elected members is better that appointed. I believe there was a resolution passed about farmer owned varieties moving forward. Personally I feel that the CDC / SPG arrangement that we have had was a good win / win deal. I expect that when the CDC varieties get sold to the big seed companies that our seed costs are going to go up.

Comment

Who owns the CDC and where do the profits go?

What did the Pulse growers “contribute” every year?

What did the CDC want that the Pulse growers couldn’t or wouldn’t pay?

Comment

I would go so far as to say that any varieties released within the first 2 or 3 years after this agreement expires were likely funded by SPG.

If a new wonder variety is released in the first couple years after the agreement expires, there should be a lawsuit from farmers.

Comment

Who owns the CDC?
              The CDC is owned by the U of S

What did the Pulse growers “contribute” every year?
              The CDC and SPG had a " Variety release program " for a lot of years where an arrangement was made that SPG paid the CDC for development of new varieties. SPG has access to those varieties royalty free. I think we were paying something like $5 million for that program?

What did the CDC want that the Pulse growers couldn’t or wouldn’t pay?
              I don't know. Nothing was said publicly at the annual meeting

Comment

It would be interesting to know who owns the germplasm from the years of varietal research. He who pays should own. But don't know.

Edit: I was changing wording not liking my own post.

Comment

Not sure of the total funding structure of CDC but I do know that SPG put a tonne of money in for pulse breeding.

I think the CDC smells royalties.
                  UPOV 91 = $$$$$
                  Open up your wallets boys....here we go!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...