Interesting perspective fom a friend

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Interesting perspective fom a friend

Jan 24, 2020 | 18:28 1 We could run our 3000 acre farm for 11 years on one days fuel load for an A380 Airbus which is 320,000 litres
We’d grow 33,000 tons of grain, 16500 lambs & 650 bales of wool with a days fuel for a big jet!
Overstating the impact of meat distracts from the real culprits. Reply With Quote

  • SASKFARMER's Avatar Jan 24, 2020 | 20:52 2 So true and it’s amazing how the sheep follow Reply With Quote
    Jan 24, 2020 | 21:46 3 Another perspective - these planes are an incredibly fuel efficient way to move people. With their 850 person capacity burning 9 gallons per mile that means each passenger is getting 95 mpg sitting on the plane. Contrast that to a reasonably fuel efficient car like a Prius that gets 45 mpg. So if you ban air travel which is presumably what this is about SF3 will have to drive to Florida - and cause an increase in emissions in the process. That's if he takes the Prius, if it's the one ton it's many times worse. Reply With Quote
    Jan 24, 2020 | 22:13 4
    Quote Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
    Another perspective - these planes are an incredibly fuel efficient way to move people. With their 850 person capacity burning 9 gallons per mile that means each passenger is getting 95 mpg sitting on the plane. Contrast that to a reasonably fuel efficient car like a Prius that gets 45 mpg. So if you ban air travel which is presumably what this is about SF3 will have to drive to Florida - and cause an increase in emissions in the process. That's if he takes the Prius, if it's the one ton it's many times worse.
    4 people in a Prius would be 180mpg Reply With Quote

  • helmsdale's Avatar Jan 24, 2020 | 22:22 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowerpower View Post
    4 people in a Prius would be 180mpg
    8 in a burban is pushing those sorts of numbers as well Reply With Quote

  • Jan 25, 2020 | 02:03 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowerpower View Post
    4 people in a Prius would be 180mpg
    My Audi Q7 3L TDI with the emissions 'fix' gets 40mpg... with 6 people.. = 240mpg with 7 people 280mpg...
    Plus the A380 'tends' to take much longer trips... for much less important reasons...'vacations' especially... which are pure 'Carbon waste excursions'! At least when we grow grain.... we sequester more Co2 than we create!!!
    Last edited by TOM4CWB; Jan 25, 2020 at 07:36.
    Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • Jan 25, 2020 | 04:06 7 Don’t quite get the line of thinking here.

    So it’s best to ban farming and keep air travel

    Somehow this is derailed

    The guy was pointing out when I read his use of diesel fo farming is efficient and creates jobs food wealth etc etc Reply With Quote

  • LEP
    Jan 25, 2020 | 06:32 8
    Quote Originally Posted by malleefarmer View Post
    Don’t quite get the line of thinking here.

    So it’s best to ban farming and keep air travel

    Somehow this is derailed

    The guy was pointing out when I read his use of diesel fo farming is efficient and creates jobs food wealth etc etc
    Those are my thoughts exactly. If the earth muffins want to look around and want to limit activity to reduce emissions, start with making movies that are shot on 6 locations around the world and conferences which could be streamed online and leave food production alone. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jan 25, 2020 | 07:37 9
    Quote Originally Posted by malleefarmer View Post
    Don’t quite get the line of thinking here.

    So it’s best to ban farming and keep air travel

    Somehow this is derailed

    The guy was pointing out when I read his use of diesel fo farming is efficient and creates jobs food wealth etc etc
    I was just pointing out the silliness of the constant "it's not me making the emissions it's the other guy" memes/comparisons from both sides. How many of the farmers that liked your example are going to curtail their air travel?
    Besides think how much less the emissions would be if you didn't grow the wheat to feed the sheep but raised them on grass instead. I note the example is based on 1lb a day 365 days/year which isn't the best case the sheep lobby could be making by any stretch of the imagination. Reply With Quote
    Jan 25, 2020 | 07:47 10
    Quote Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
    I was just pointing out the silliness of the constant "it's not me making the emissions it's the other guy" memes/comparisons from both sides. How many of the farmers that liked your example are going to curtail their air travel?
    Besides think how much less the emissions would be if you didn't grow the wheat to feed the sheep but raised them on grass instead. I note the example is based on 1lb a day 365 days/year which isn't the best case the sheep lobby could be making by any stretch of the imagination.
    I do 'like' Mallee's example... and absolutely do less air travel now... Going to visit grandchildren in LA... with three people in my Touareg... 120mpg per person... 26hrs instead of 4. Cheers! Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Jan 25, 2020 | 09:52 11 That’s quite a trip! We are flying to Las, then Shreveport. I believe in “Greening of the Earth”. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • Jan 25, 2020 | 15:14 12
    Quote Originally Posted by grassfarmer View Post
    I was just pointing out the silliness of the constant "it's not me making the emissions it's the other guy" memes/comparisons from both sides. How many of the farmers that liked your example are going to curtail their air travel?
    Besides think how much less the emissions would be if you didn't grow the wheat to feed the sheep but raised them on grass instead. I note the example is based on 1lb a day 365 days/year which isn't the best case the sheep lobby could be making by any stretch of the imagination.

    That wasn’t his point wasn’t playing blame game.
    PETA want all sheep farming banned in Australia urging people not to wear wool for good of planet, suggesting synthetics err a free plug for oil industry.

    The guy didn’t deny he may pollute add co2 etc was just stating something good comes from his use of fuel rather than demonise farmers.

    Am a little surprised by you comments actually grass.

    Thinking it’s time to join farma again I feel his disillusionment with agriville

    Was good fo a few weeks but going back to how it was.

    But yeah I thought before I posted the original thread shouldn’t have done it. Reply With Quote
    blackpowder's Avatar Jan 25, 2020 | 19:55 13 By the way, what did I miss regarding farma?? Thought him too stubborn to quit lol.
    Did I miss a good brawl?
    Last edited by blackpowder; Jan 25, 2020 at 20:00.
    Reply With Quote
    Jan 25, 2020 | 21:28 14
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
    By the way, what did I miss regarding farma?? Thought him too stubborn to quit lol.
    Did I miss a good brawl?
    No.

    You just missed seeing a good man come to his senses. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes