• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glyphosate resistant wild oats in Australia

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glyphosate resistant wild oats in Australia

Read report this am that the first resistance of avena fatua (wild oats) has been identified in Aus.
    Hugh Beckie predicted this several years ago
    He also predicted cleavers would be close behind in developing resistant populations
    Our whole system is based on glyphosate. As sure as Sunday, this is coming to a field near all of us. Mixing a broadleaf partner delays that side of things, but no one is mixing monocot partners with any real efficacy on wild oat.
    In the medium term, our system will need to change. To what is the question. Everyone knows it can’t be tillage on a field scale.
    What will the impact be on land values? Will a different technology save the day? Possibly.
    I also wonder if large scale farms will be able to adapt quickly enough.
    There is almost no question weed control will cost more in the future (the weed seed grinder Redekopp had at the show is 100k). ’

Originally posted by Quadtrack View Post
    I also wonder if large scale farms will be able to adapt quickly enough.
    There is almost no question weed control will cost more in the future (the weed seed grinder Redekopp had at the show is 100k). ’
    I've heard rumors about it possibly being here already... Guys getting minimal to no action in pre-plant burndown... Most have chalked it up to wrong timing, but there's always that concern. This area, which still engages in plentiful amounts of chemfallow will likely be some of the first to see it.

Only long term options I see are combine add ons that crush weed seeds, or taking it VERY dirty and cleaning at home and either composting, burning, or mechanically destroying weed seeds.

Comment

Forages. Animals. Mixed farming. A very economical answer.

Comment

Wild oats are shelling long before the crop is ready.
        In the right year, you can see the line where you stopped spraying 20 years ago.
        This will be a nasty one. The only fore seeable option has chemistry in it somewhere.

Comment

Some interesting stuff being found out here.

Yes there are resistant wild oats and ryegrass

Researcher agronomists have found If a resistant population is left for three years unsprayed no chems used for grazing ro hay whatever, they have seen the status change back to 100% susceptible weeds.

I found it hard to believe but statistically and scientifically proven.

Doesn’t suit you guys persay but grazing is a handy tool as well

Comment

Interesting, the three year thing. Thanks.
            Pretty hard to turn back the clock 60 years here. Where are all the cows going to come from? Who's gonna look after them? Who's gonna eat them? Take a zero off the end of land values.

Comment

Outside the box people. Outside, the box.

Comment

Yes, yes Sheep, I understand. And if it has to be that's great. But my previous post stands.

Comment

Some guys gone back to tillage once every five years or so.

Comment

We're going back to some tillage for other reasons. Normally that just plants the weeds lol. A perranial crop of some kind I guess.
                    I have fields where the seed bank is quite full. And from decades ago.
                    Historically, from being cheap with chem lol. Scares me. Good luck.

Comment

Steam based weed control rather than chem based?

Comment

Good point. Who knows what's possible with ever smarter tech.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                          Good point. Who knows what's possible with ever smarter tech.
                          What will happen is you will be regulated to farm a certain way if you want counties to by your product just like the EU does with canola now. Your yields will go down, it will be hard to farm as many acres, you will have messes and disasters, you will buy a seed smasher or some robotic sprayer or some such nonsense. You will knock yourself silly trying to meet all your masters demands.

.....and the prices will still be the same as they were in the 70s.

Canadian ag cannot survive another layer of regulation on top of it and that's probably the end goal anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by NoBS View Post
                            Steam based weed control rather than chem based?
                            Might not be super effective with weeds like Wild Oats that have their growing point below the soil surface

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...