• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tough times ahead for Ag

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"""":We had many neighbors screw the system and declared bankruptcy..."""""

Yup and there is a second generation gearing up to do it all again....because the people in the lenders office are rookies....

Comment

I had to check twice to see if this is agriville,there hasnt been anything except whine,moan,piss,over how bad ag is !!! Now alls well and everyone is admiting to being very well off.....WOW
      And still a liberal gov,,go figure
      Sarcasm intended

Comment

Farmers just don’t change. We are doing this all for pennies on the dollar. Don’t plant a crop and see what happens. Trouble is too many took the bait and have no choice but to go row with slaves. Pissing and moaning won’t change a thing til u hit them and I mean all them where it matters most. Keep buying and planting and u feed the beast.

Comment

Merle asks the question -

:0

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            """":We had many neighbors screw the system and declared bankruptcy..."""""

Yup and there is a second generation gearing up to do it all again....because the people in the lenders office are rookies....
            Ritchie Bros will be there to help when the party is over for the second time.

Comment

Partners said it perfectly , and thank you for saying the obvious, SPEND WITHIN YOUR MEANS ! Around our operation we have a line of machinery that could be termed " a working museum" but it is well maintained and paid for. We have replaced stuff on a budget , fixed and rebuilt the entire operation on a limited budget ( thanks to my wife who works off farm ) and we are saving for our son's university education. In the 20 years that I have been on our place full time , I have seen a lot of neighbors spend a LOT of money on machinery and land , when they were very well off with what they had. Yes I am envious, sorry for that , but that is what it is. As far as weathering the storm , we have been there and done it . I know a lot of people in this area that better start doing their math better or they are going to be in for a rude awakening.

Comment

Galaxie you're not alone. Some on here are farming a bit and have Zero Operating debt or opp lines, they pay cash. Some have Zero equipment debt or very little, Some have zero land debt or maybe a quarter. Some have million-dollar savings accounts. Some have a property in other countries and own other businesses. Some have shares in companies that would blow people away at the amount.

But the real problem that anyone with money realises before others is that when an investment gets bad its time to get out or change things.

Farming has once been a good thing and yes it goes in cycles but lately, the focus on all others and nothing on the farmer's problems is starting to hit home. Last week in saskatoon it was all about keeping the industry happy with loans grants etc. No one mentioned without the farmer all would fail.

But we did this to our selves with useless fools running farmer boards and doing nothing but becoming yes men for industry and gov.

Will it change I doubt it as pigs need to be fed and gov will give money to them any day and hope farmers just get bigger and bigger.

Other countries are moving ahead in Ag and we topped and are dropping.

Comment

Kevin Hursh predictions for next 10 yrs;

1. Glyphosate and other critical herbicides will be banned or severely restricted
                  2. Climate fanatics have gotten into every level of society and will be impossible to reverse that trend. Which means ag is a target.
                  3. Interest rates to rise, land values cooling
                  4. Some token extra processing for protein from canola and pulses might get a leg up here. I will believe that when I see it.

Very few positives.

https://www.producer.com/2020/01/fearless-predictions-for-the-decade-ahead/ Fearless predictions for the decade ahead

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    Kevin Hursh predictions for next 10 yrs;

1. Glyphosate and other critical herbicides will be banned or severely restricted
                    2. Climate fanatics have gotten into every level of society and will be impossible to reverse that trend. Which means ag is a target.
                    3. Interest rates to rise, land values cooling
                    4. Some token extra processing for protein from canola and pulses might get a leg up here. I will believe that when I see it.

Very few positives.

https://www.producer.com/2020/01/fearless-predictions-for-the-decade-ahead/ Fearless predictions for the decade ahead
                    If governments and others don't start understanding the value of farmers pretty quick....everything above won't matter anyway...The FSU is eating our lunch and cake as well...

Besides Hursh is making money writing that ....

Comment

The next ten will be bleak on the farm but I don't think glyphosate will be that restricted. The poorer harvest that is working its way through the system right now will raise food costs somewhat and combined with lower disposable incomes for consumer will get the focus on real problems and away from fake ones. There will be a small uplift on pulse processing but the cattle industry will continue to shrink.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                        The next ten will be bleak on the farm but I don't think glyphosate will be that restricted. The poorer harvest that is working its way through the system right now will raise food costs somewhat and combined with lower disposable incomes for consumer will get the focus on real problems and away from fake ones. There will be a small uplift on pulse processing but the cattle industry will continue to shrink.
                        It will be an excuse to raise food prices....there is no reason for it....other than the Westons know they can get away it....

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                          The next ten will be bleak on the farm.
                          Read that article again with a different lens

no support no safety net no improved programs no expanded trade no enhanced infrastructure no incentives for younger people no commitment to value added anything

More of the same.

Moe is doing the same jawing. Wants all this extra GDP from ag but won't commit any money to it. Surely sask could afford to put up one protein or biodiesel plant to start the ball rolling?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            Read that article again with a different lens

no support no safety net no improved programs no expanded trade no enhanced infrastructure no incentives for younger people no commitment to value added anything

More of the same.

Moe is doing the same jawing. Wants all this extra GDP from ag but won't commit any money to it. Surely sask could afford to put up one protein or biodiesel plant to start the ball rolling?
                            Moe and company wants to spend $7500 an acre to get water to the quarter line with another irrigation project ....but thats not going to create shit other than a place for the Albertans that sell out to buy land in Saskatchewan...its sort of like the housing market...

A billion dollars for 300 farmers...think about it...

Comment

Well boys after reading all your post we may all be ****ed too!! This **** show might make the 80’s look like a minor speed bump! With no oil patch to keep farms a float thanks to the current federal administration we will all be up **** creek without a paddle. Not like a good oil patch job would go far towards saving a farm nowadays anyway.

Comment

Lots of realistic views, suggestions. No matter how the economics changed, there were always enough of us to make it work, and wait it out, perhaps spinning our wheels standing still, but surviving to expand another day. Equipment ran longer, inputs fine tuned for max return. There are so many variables influencing income and expenses that we will never know the next 10 years accurately. Stuff changes daily. I am hoping the next GEN makes a go of it all so our values stay up, and us soon exiting are well rewarded.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.