Brrrrr!

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Brrrrr!

Jan 15, 2020 | 11:26 1 How crispy are things in your neighbourhood?

The sun is out but very deceiving. The diesel only dribbled out of the pump this morning so hopefully it’ll do better after lunch. Takes a minute to open the grapple if you don’t move it for a few minutes. The kids have had busses cancelled this week so far and tomorrow they probably will too. The critters seem to be doing ok but are really packing the grub and bedding away.

Be careful everyone and stay warm. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• ajl
    Jan 15, 2020 | 11:38 2 -41 in Vegreville at 9 am this morning. Sun is shining bright except for the ice fog. -33 forecast for the high this aft. Wonder what is the coldest daily high temp for this region? -33 has gotta be close. Reply With Quote
    Jan 15, 2020 | 12:24 3 Minus 35 here. Is now minus 31. But there is a very stiff wind. One of the coldest days I have felt yet. Sheep seem to take it in stride, tough little beggars. Still headbunting each other and clicking their heels when I show up with the grain. Lol

MOST amusing thing? I love feeding and such! Lol. I am one strange duck. Be boring without the critters. Reply With Quote
    Jan 15, 2020 | 12:31 4 Name:  891E7488-CF7A-4394-8B7F-183B14A09055.jpg
Views: 1054
Size:  19.4 KB House cracking, windows frosting. At least the sun is out.. Reply With Quote
    Jan 15, 2020 | 13:59 5 Can’t comprehend that Reply With Quote

• Jan 15, 2020 | 14:11 6
    Quote Originally Posted by malleefarmer View Post
    Can’t comprehend that
    Just like I can’t comprehend +40. I’ll second the house cracking .......... last night it was the worst it’s been in a while. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jan 15, 2020 | 18:40 7 Yup its cold. One loader tractor sits outside has 5w30 oil in the engine and when you start it it damn near stalls when oil pressure comes up. Just hope the diesel fuel doesnt gel up,been there done that before. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jan 15, 2020 | 19:06 8 The world has had the hottest decade ever. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Jan 15, 2020 | 19:19 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    The world has had the hottest decade ever.
    That is cold comfort

But thanks for the dose of optimism. Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Jan 15, 2020 | 19:41 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    The world has had the hottest decade ever.
    Liberals, Greens, NDP all want it COLDER, keep repeating that...who else wants our climate to COOL?

No science necessary, just MSM on the take, repeat, repeat and louder... Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes

• Jan 15, 2020 | 21:07 11 Hats off to you all you guys with all the animals to feed and keep them warm and healthy in this extreme weather. You are truly the hardest working salt of the earth farmers. From the milk in my glass and the bacon, or chicken or the prime rib on my plate.....I salute your efforts especially this time of year. Reply With Quote

• LEP
    Jan 16, 2020 | 08:06 12 It was so cold here yesterday my internet froze. Reply With Quote
    Jan 16, 2020 | 09:00 13 Good vehicles, cel phones and good roads: Just discussing prairie winter weather with some old guys who remember 2 block heaters in their Chevys and chains ready to go on the floor of the truck just to get home at night from the bar or stook game. Ether, gas-line anti-freeze, shovels, always carrying ski-doo suits behind seat for walking when all else failed. SE of Regina was (and still is) desolate in the winter - there was no one living on farms for the winter because no cattle to keep them. Anyone remember the good ol days? Reply With Quote

• Jan 16, 2020 | 09:03 14
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner View Post
    Hats off to you all you guys with all the animals to feed and keep them warm and healthy in this extreme weather. You are truly the hardest working salt of the earth farmers. From the milk in my glass and the bacon, or chicken or the prime rib on my plate.....I salute your efforts especially this time of year.
    I agree,have been there myself! Haven’t had cattle for a number of years now. We had to process feed with a mix mill every 2 to 3 days ,in winter,for our feeders. We didn’t have the option to pick and chose our days. Just hoped that everything would keep running. Good luck to everyone feeding livestock! Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Blaithin's Avatar Jan 16, 2020 | 20:05 15 Need that Chinook on Monday so that the cows can clean up the silage bales they didn’t eat fast enough 😂

• 3 Likes

• Jan 17, 2020 | 07:21 16
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaithin View Post
    Need that Chinook on Monday so that the cows can clean up the silage bales they didn’t eat fast enough 😂

No hard-frozen bales this year yet here - we have had an exceptionally mild winter so far. Just a few inches of frozen material on the outside, which they can chew through.

But that's a good thing because I'm feeding some very wet, wrapped oats/peas/barley bales that would turn into ice cubes in those temperatures. Other years, we have had them freeze so hard that the netwrap doesn't want to come off and the girls can't chew the outer layers off.

Although a mild winter has its own problems, I'll take this for now. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like

• Blaithin's Avatar Jan 17, 2020 | 12:28 17
    Quote Originally Posted by burnt View Post
    No hard-frozen bales this year yet here - we have had an exceptionally mild winter so far. Just a few inches of frozen material on the outside, which they can chew through.

But that's a good thing because I'm feeding some very wet, wrapped oats/peas/barley bales that would turn into ice cubes in those temperatures. Other years, we have had them freeze so hard that the netwrap doesn't want to come off and the girls can't chew the outer layers off.

Although a mild winter has its own problems, I'll take this for now.
    There’s even spots in a couple of the hay bales that have frozen.

Sellers may be able to try and talk their way out of mouldy/dusty bales and say they were dry when they baled them.... but if the cores have frozen solid well... Only one way I can think of a core being wet enough to freeze while the outer layers are fine! Reply With Quote
    Jan 17, 2020 | 13:41 18
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaithin View Post
    There’s even spots in a couple of the hay bales that have frozen.

Sellers may be able to try and talk their way out of mouldy/dusty bales and say they were dry when they baled them.... but if the cores have frozen solid well... Only one way I can think of a core being wet enough to freeze while the outer layers are fine!

Strange - but that kind of strange usually didn't just happen without cause.

Very little good 1st cut made around here last summer. For as dry as it was overall, we never seemed to get that extra day it took to cure it. A little drizzle would drift over the area and there goes the quality.

A lot of wrapping happens around here. Kinda costly, but no leaf loss, no brown, rained on feed.

We cut some triple mix that was planted after barley harvest. Got a little over 2 - 4.5' bales/acre, cut on Oct. 24, baled 2 days later, barely wilted. Cows think it's candy.

So if we would get that kind of cold you have out there, they would freeze right thru and not thaw until June! Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like