• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morris looks in trouble

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bucket View Post
    I think Morris would be a better fit for a major like deere or case as opposed to the conservapak system that deere bought...
    Bourgault might have enough market share that Case, Jd, Adco might want to buy them at 10 cents on the dollar, but i'm not sure about the other small drill manufacturers. This could be a catch-22 situation, farmers may stop buying drills from these small manufacturers in fear of them going out of business,and instead buying from only the big 'mainstream' companies.

tough time ahead indeed for these companies.

Comment

Bigzee, Im not arguing that these companies are charging to much for new drills or parts. But what if all of them go bankrupt. Used drills will not exist if they don’t sell new ones. What kind of drill do you have? Are you worried about sourcing parts if your drill company disappears?

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
        Bigzee, Im not arguing that these companies are charging to much for new drills or parts. But what if all of them go bankrupt. Used drills will not exist if they don’t sell new ones. What kind of drill do you have? Are you worried about sourcing parts if your drill company disappears?
        Seedhawk!
        I can get hoses anywhere, putting on semi pneumatic tires on which I don’t buy from the company, buy bearings anywhere, have gone to Dutch openers. Can buy seal kits for cylinders anywhere. Use a Bourgault tank.
        I get your point about no drills existing if more manufacturers go tits up, but maybe they should sit down like we do and come up with a strategy of maybe selling more for less. This seems to be what we do all the time.
        This winter I’m spending around 30k on maintenance, little over half that is a complete new blockage system. Sure beats the 300k they wanted for a new drill.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
          Seedhawk!
          I can get hoses anywhere, putting on semi pneumatic tires on which I don’t buy from the company, buy bearings anywhere, have gone to Dutch openers. Can buy seal kits for cylinders anywhere. Use a Bourgault tank.
          I get your point about no drills existing if more manufacturers go tits up, but maybe they should sit down like we do and come up with a strategy of maybe selling more for less. This seems to be what we do all the time.
          This winter I’m spending around 30k on maintenance, little over half that is a complete new blockage system. Sure beats the 300k they wanted for a new drill.
          But most guys look at the 30k as a lease payment for a new drill......and that might be part of the problem as well...

A cultivator by replacing shovels would last years and that's with 4 or 5 passes a year....

Drills go once over and are garbage in three??????

Comment

there are certain parts like morris edge on shanks , wonder if anyone else makes them ? we break 2 or 3 a year
            guess we are part of the problem , still using a 15 year old maxim

Comment

It's a 15 mile drive from town to the farm. One day in seeding I was driving it and realized all the drills between town and the farm were bourgault. They will be fine when they adjust to the longer trade periods.

Morris was the obvious one, perhaps seedmaster or case drills next. Not saying Case corp. But no one has bought a flexicoil or case in this area in YEARS. At one time there were many flexicoils.

Comment

“ but maybe they should sit down like we do and come up with a strategy of maybe selling more for less. This seems to be what we do all the time.”
                Im not sure how your farm works we wouldn’t be around for very long if we used this strategy. Realistically they will have to sell less for more, and that means parts will be going up. New drills aren’t selling so making money on parts will be the focus. Not unlike Deere or Case with insane parts prices. On the new side the Quantum will be tossed because the sticker price is too high. There will be some Morris bargains at the spring sales, we may have to buy a couple for parts.

Comment

Only parts replaced on my 5710 in the 10 yrs I have owned it are 2 shanks, air hoses and a couple tires.

Virtually maintenance free.

ESN was the technology I adopted. Kept those single shoot drills in the field indefinately.

When you see a $25k drill grow a crop as good as a $500k one, somebody in the marketing dept must have raised an eyebrow? No?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                    Only parts replaced on my 5710 in the 10 yrs I have owned it are 2 shanks, air hoses and a couple tires.

ESN was the technology I adopted. Kept those single shoot drills in the field indefinately.

When you see a $25k drill grow a crop as good as a $500k one, somebody in the marketing dept must have raised an eyebrow? No?
                    We are similar, 21 crops, hoses once, 2 shanks broke on rocks, center duals. 10 years on 3" carbide openers. No hyd leaks or welding. Yes 1/20 the price, EXTREMELY simple, NO moving parts, same result, thank you to those building obsolescence! Change for sake of change etc...

Comment

I will probably die still owning a 5710. I think without the fertilizer damage (rust) a cart would likely last forever too.

Comment

Any one use one of these Click image for larger version

Name:	5101FBE7-C17E-4E5F-A080-8AEA84747DFA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	769299

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                          Any one use one of these [ATTACH]5471[/ATTACH]
                          I don’t but enough around this area. It’s bourgault, Deere, and some hawks and masters. Does new holland still sell a drill? 🤪

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                            Any one use one of these [ATTACH]5471[/ATTACH]
                            Two JD conservapaks seed the field across the road from me the past number of years. Seem to produce good crops. Just wonder what yield penalty they get from narrow row 12" spacing in cereals? There are a number of those rigs in this area.

Comment

Independent openers, its all Bourgalt around here. They destroyed that market. No seedhawks or seedmasters.

But shank drills, still a good mix around. Bourgaults, JD, Case, Concorde, Flexicoil, they are all very similar.

Wonder how ol Jimmy Pattison is making out with his big ag consolidation take over.

Comment

Says the guy who started a thread a few weeks ago about how shitty his canola crop came up this year 🤦*♂️

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.