• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CWB seed Identification

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CWB seed Identification

I just read in this evening newspaper that the CWB is spending 1.5 million of farmers money to develop technology for identifying varieties by gene identification. As usual there is no background as to why, who made this decision, and where the money is actually coming from. If this is to address GMO's then I have a concern that we as producers are being asked to spend money on a problem we did not necessarily create. The next comment would be that if the CWB was not in place who would be footing the bill. While I am not suggesting that this money does not need to be spent, I would suggest that other parties with vested interests need to step up. One suggestion that if you want to release GMO varietes then you need to contribute to this.

I'm wondering if the article you refer to, is a recent press release, from the Canadian Grain Commission (CGC)? It says, 'The Government of Canada has committed up to $3.27 million to help grain producers and industry work together with researchers to develop rapid grain quality testing techniques. The funding, announced today by the Honourable Andy Mitchell, Secretary of State (Rural Development) (Federal Economic Development Initiative for Northern Ontario) on behalf of Agriculture and Agri-Food Minister Lyle Vanclief, comes from the Western Grain Transportation Adjustment Fund. ... Research funded under this program will require industry partners to match the federal funding. In recognition of the need to provide farmers options in varietal selection and to meet customers’ specific requirements, the Canadian Wheat Board has committed $1.5 million to this initiative.' '...the money announced today will support the development of automated grain quality testing techniques to keep pace with customer demands and new developments in plant breeding technology. Funding under the new initiative will go toward projects that investigate new techniques that can be used to complement the current system. One potential example is the use of DNA.' '... this initiative will build on that excellent system by reducing reliance on visual grading.' Everyone can read more about it in the full CGC press release at www.cgc.ca and look under 'News'. What other comments do people have on this? What 'industry partners' should be contributing? Would you like to see a system that reduces the reliance on visual grading?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.