• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trees

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trees

Green Blizzard

The page that did not load for me shows that Canada has 8953 trees per person. China has 102. Brazil 1494. US 716.
    Yes Canada needs a few more trees to save our planet

Comment

Originally posted by may-be View Post
      The page that did not load for me shows that Canada has 8953 trees per person. China has 102. Brazil 1494. US 716.
      Yes Canada needs a few more trees to save our planet
      I'm trying my hardest to reduce that ratio, but it is a losing battle, since all of the non farming neighbors are planting them faster than I can knock my own down. Anecdotally, it seems that there are more trees here than almost ever before, certainly more than when the first settlers came.

Comment

Trees provide a lot of ecological goods and services that farmers take for granted.

In your location trees may be in excess, but for much of the world deforestation has led to desertification and major soil loss.

When you generalize that trees are bad you need to take into account that there are still many windbreaks across the southern prairies that provide benefits to crop production and soil protection.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
          Trees provide a lot of ecological goods and services that farmers take for granted.

The Trudeau government take them for granted....farmers are not being paid for their contributions to the environment....

But the billion trees Trudeau wants to plant ...the math is done on the sequestering value...

Comment

Our farm has hundreds and hundreds of acres of trees. I love our land, it is some of the most beautiful and aesthetically pleasing land in the province. We burn lots of wood, we eat lots of game.

Outside my borders, trees are losing the battle badly. To each their own, but this beautiful parkland is turning quickly into bald ass prairie. Good for me as a hunter, as a guy to whom dollars don’t matter most I guess.

I do find it interesting that the bald ass farmers come begging me to hunt on my land. Maybe if they left a bit along the creeks and sloughs, they too would have some animals to hunt. Lol

I could care less if the government compensates me enough. For me, when I am out on our wild land areas, the beauty and the animals are compensation enough.

Comment

Tree planting is planned mostly for cities.

So are arguing that trees are bad for farming and we should cut them all down?

You will lose that debate and turn hunters, conservationists and average citizens against farmers.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                Tree planting is planned mostly for cities.
                Do the math. Canada already has 300B trees mostly in our boreal forests which cover about 3M sq kms. That's 100k trees per sq km. Is this all going to go in parks and back yards. Shelterbelts would be the more logical place.

And we already clear cut a million acres of forest every year. Isn't it easier to shut that down? Shouldn't the forest industry be sacrificed on the altar of climate change first?
                Last edited by jazz; Jan 10, 2020, 09:33.

Comment

Except the truth is, the wildlife(deer, moose, elk) have nothing to eat in a mature forest, they live off of alfalfa, canola, barley and bales. We can drive to Banff and back, and see an order of magnitude more wildlife( and signs/tracks) within 5 miles of home than in the entire remainder of the trip.

My neighbour is mad at me because I allow hunting( in this case, on land I bought from him), and the hunters love to hunt my land because that is where the wildlife are guaranteed to be, since there is something to eat. Apparently it is OK for me to feed the thieves, but he puts game fence around his bale stacks so they can't get in, and doesn't leave any alfalfa standing, as a few neighbours who love deer do every winter.
                  Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jan 10, 2020, 10:05.

Comment

Should be able to plant trees at the old GM factory..

Comment

Yup, they eat. And tramp. And pee. I don’t mind cuz I’m a hunter dude. I WANT the animals around. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                        Yup, they eat. And tramp. And pee. I don’t mind cuz I’m a hunter dude. I WANT the animals around. Lol
                        And the best part, its a free country, and you are welcome to do whatever you like on your land.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          And the best part, its a free country, and you are welcome to do whatever you like on your land.
                          Yup. Nothing like a tender elk sirloin, moose burgers, deer jerky!

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post

And we already clear cut a million acres of forest every year. Isn't it easier to shut that down? Shouldn't the forest industry be sacrificed on the altar of climate change first?
                            Dont pick on the forestry industry, they have a similar business to ag. And dont think too many want to live in mud huts anymore, lots of other benefits to forestry also. The regrowth after logging and replanting is amazing, looks like hell the first couple years but after that grows pretty good, likely better carbon sequestering than the prior aged trees.

Comment

Chuckchuck. I find it very bad manners to try and put words in someone’s mouth. I stated some facts. Who is arguing, Debating or trying to generalize that trees are bad? Or trying to turn anybody against anyone.
                              If I did not like trees I could add some productive acres to my land. I am also waiting for some free trees to plant for more windbreak. I just find it sad that we closing industries and about to waste a lot of money doing many things that will not make much difference when we have people living in the streets and pensioners going to food banks.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...