• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Run aways

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run aways

So you have all pocketed good coin last few years, are cattle people more humble and thankful?

About the time you get full of yourself with cows is when they all escape up the road or waterers freeze or calving goes to shit. Always safest to stay humble.

Comment

Love my cows, took a while to realize that is how our land worked, ever so grateful.

Comment

Around here if you got cows and aren’t humble eventually you get “schooled” and either become humbled or get out of cows.

Just going over the year end financials and it’s definitely not a get rich quick scheme but no complaints since it can always be worse.

Happy feeding 😎

Best when someone is able to come with me. School starts tomorrow so back to lonesome me I guess.

Comment

Nice job grazing that corn Woody!!!

Did you feed anything else?

How do the cows look?

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
            Around here if you got cows and aren’t humble eventually you get “schooled” and either become humbled or get out of cows.

Just going over the year end financials and it’s definitely not a get rich quick scheme but no complaints since it can always be worse.

Happy feeding 😎

Best when someone is able to come with me. School starts tomorrow so back to lonesome me I guess.
            It is a treat to have good company, specially when the can open gates.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
              Nice job grazing that corn Woody!!!

Did you feed anything else?

How do the cows look?
              The cows were losing some condition since they still have their calves on them after we started grazing it. Two weeks ago we started taking out 10 lbs/pair of rolled barley and they have started picking up again. It’s adding to the cost but we’re now able to push the clean up of stalks a little harder which helps offset it. If it was dry cows they would be just fine without any supplement.

Just got 8 more inches of snow today so the last quarter will be interesting to see how much more the loss will be when they get there shortly. Took out straw today for bedding as the temp is dropping and supposed to hit -30 in a couple days. Keep letting them have bigger paddocks (getting lazy with fencing) and no complaints so far. Currently in 80 acres and the next is 100.

I’m the center of attention when I blow the feed truck horn. 😉

P.S. If you spot the roan cow in the picture that’s part of my “dowry”. My awesome FIL dropped of my wife’s 4-H projects after we got married. Oreo even got a free meal ticket after not calving last year. Doesn’t happen otherwise here. The kids call her “cookie cow”. 😎

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post
                The cows were losing some condition since they still have their calves on them after we started grazing it. Two weeks ago we started taking out 10 lbs/pair of rolled barley and they have started picking up again. It’s adding to the cost but we’re now able to push the clean up of stalks a little harder which helps offset it. If it was dry cows they would be just fine without any supplement.......
                That's crazy Woodland - have you done feed analysis on the corn? If you've got cobs you've got plenty energy - its the protein that's low with corn. I suspect you'd be ahead supplementing protein not energy (barley). We're feeding 100% protein blocks (Biuret) to get the best clean up we've ever had. Our corn was tested at 71.5TDN, 7% protein and that was the whole plant - by the time they select and leave some stalk the ration they consume woulds be higher quality than that.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...
                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.