• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help with land rental, Regina region.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
    Totally agree with you saskfarmer. But even with land ownership, at our commodity prices today, our cost on that land with land payments and inputs would equal nearly $300 an acre, if not more. And that's on a pretty modest input and equipment budget. That's 45 bushels an acre of number 1 wheat, or 40 bushel an acre of durum. Those would be 5 or 10 year average yield around here.

I'm not looking to farm just to break even.
    Well said ....throw in a harvest from hell and those 140 rents start to hurt a little even on good land????

Comment

MNP said the most profitable farms are in that
      3-5000 ac range. IMO farm what you own, and watch everyone else work for nothing renting all the high priced land.
      Margins are so tight and to take your machinery over someone else’s land and and add more hrs doesn’t make sense anymore .... and I’m taking from experience. The little money you are making isn’t going to replace the machinery.
      One investor I know of who I used to rent from is now expecting the tenants to also pay the land taxes once a new agreement is written up.
      This will show how hungry guys really are.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
        If I am paying $140 a acre I will buy it first. Ownership is way better than renting, way better.
        $140/acre would be equivalent to financing at $2800 per acre at 5%. Way better off to buy than rent.

Anyone paying cash rent that high and believes they are making money is not very good at math or history, hopefully they are much better at forecasting the future.

Comment

But if you own all or most of your land it’s easy and that is how multi generations take on more I guess. If my boys wanted land it’s not a problem on any amount. It’s is it a good investment and will it some day have a return.

I have investments in property that might make us money some day and some that we might walk away on in other countries do to political unrest. Shit happens it’s investing.

Sometimes you win sometimes you lose and you hope to break even.

Comment

[QUOTE]
            Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
            Edible beans. Lentils. Peas.

Canning peas potatoes carrots onions. Export hay, dad had sugar beets at one time.
            ha forgive me forgettting about the vibrant carrot export market.

Talking the majors here, anything reportable by stats can. If corn and soy make a real foothold in western canada it will be right in the area I mention.
            Last edited by jazz; Jan 2, 2020, 09:44.

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
              I've been told as high as $140/ac around Swift Current. If you're doing cash rent, $100/ac is bare minimum.
              These numbers seem like long term contracts that were signed when durum was $9 and lentils were 50 cents?
              Buying would be a challenge in this region since if a retired farmer can get $100-140 per acre why would he ever sell?

Comment

Jazz

Talking the majors here, anything reportable by stats can. "If corn and soy make a real foothold in western canada it will be right in the area I mention".

Soybeans account for the third largest seeded area in Manitoba, following canola and wheat, with 1.9 million acres sown in 2018. Manitoba produced 1.58 million tonnes of soybean in 2018. Manitoba produced 22 per cent of all soybeans in Canada in 2018.

2017-05-05 · Manitoba could also see a huge leap in corn acres this year, with Statistics Canada reporting that the province’s producers plan to seed 475,000 acres with grain corn this spring, representing an increase of nearly 38 per cent over last year.

What the F--- are you talking about. Have you ever driven in Manitoba in the summertime? Is Manitoba not Western Canada? Do you even know what specialty crops are grown in the Portage, Winkler, and Carman areas of Manitoba? Not to mention how the whole province of Manitoba is covered with soybean acres.

Jazz take a break from posting your conspirsacy theories on every topic that comes up on Agriville. Better yet stick to the climate change topics nothing ever gets proved on those topics and you excel in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                  These numbers seem like long term contracts that were signed when durum was $9 and lentils were 50 cents?
                  Buying would be a challenge in this region since if a retired farmer can get $100-140 per acre why would he ever sell?
                  Nope. That's this years prices.

Welcome to my world. Especially when Monettes are around here and can gobble up 30 or 50 Quarters at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post
                    Jazz

Talking the majors here, anything reportable by stats can. "If corn and soy make a real foothold in western canada it will be right in the area I mention".

Soybeans account for the third largest seeded area in Manitoba, following canola and wheat, with 1.9 million acres sown in 2018. Manitoba produced 1.58 million tonnes of soybean in 2018. Manitoba produced 22 per cent of all soybeans in Canada in 2018.

2017-05-05 · Manitoba could also see a huge leap in corn acres this year, with Statistics Canada reporting that the province’s producers plan to seed 475,000 acres with grain corn this spring, representing an increase of nearly 38 per cent over last year.

What the F--- are you talking about. Have you ever driven in Manitoba in the summertime? Is Manitoba not Western Canada? Do you even know what specialty crops are grown in the Portage, Winkler, and Carman areas of Manitoba? Not to mention how the whole province of Manitoba is covered with soybean acres.

Jazz take a break from posting your conspirsacy theories on every topic that comes up on Agriville. Better yet stick to the climate change topics nothing ever gets proved on those topics and you excel in that area.

Totally agree.

Jazz hasn't a clue....

Grow 600 acres of carrots for Peak of the Market to feed our people at home and make far more than 15,000 acres of lentils... But hey we know nothing

Comment

We have one major that is walking away from $40 and $45 land. They are looking to shed upwards of 1/2 their seeded acres which accounts for the majority of their rented land in the next few years.

20-25 bushel #2 and #3 durum
                      15-20 bushel canola
                      20 bushel chicks
                      20 bushel lentils
                      30 bushel wheat

All done with max inputs, shiny equipment, and lots of fancy infrastructure.

those numbers dont pay...

And while those yields look horrendous, they are not that far off of Long Term Averages. They are certainly FAR below what has been grown here over say the last 15 year average, but there were numerous years that those sorts of yields on summerfallow were considered stupendous!

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                        We have one major that is walking away from $40 and $45 land. They are looking to shed upwards of 1/2 their seeded acres which accounts for the majority of their rented land in the next few years.

20-25 bushel #2 and #3 durum
                        15-20 bushel canola
                        20 bushel chicks
                        20 bushel lentils
                        30 bushel wheat

All done with max inputs, shiny equipment, and lots of fancy infrastructure.

those numbers dont pay...

And while those yields look horrendous, they are not that far off of Long Term Averages. They are certainly FAR below what has been grown here over say the last 15 year average, but there were numerous years that those sorts of yields on summerfallow were considered stupendous!
                        Were they using the latest varieties as well.?????

Because that is suppose to be the helper in achieving great results.?

Or so my checkoff friends tell me...just some sarcasm ....

That's one broken resolution already....not to be too sarcastic...

Comment

2m acres of soy is not a foothold. That's less than all Sk field pea production. That's way less than durum and lentils. That's even less than our summerfallow acres.

That would be considered niche crop by those acres.

as I said before for corn and soy to take a sizeable place in our entire production mix it will need to expand by 3 or 5 fold.

You keyboard jockeys ask why land is so expensive here and I tell u why and then you say nothing grows here. You are dead wrong.

Just like canola wasn't economical here 20 yrs ago all it took was some genetic tweaking and it's everywhere now.

Same thing will happen with corn and soy if it does get expanded. But I am interested what other area you have in mind that could handle 10m acres of corn and soy under the conditions we have? It will happen along a stretch of the transcanada. High moisture with enough GDD and able to take a Nov harvest.

Sorry if logic triggers you. That's your problem.
                          Last edited by jazz; Jan 2, 2020, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            2m acres of soy is not a foothold. That's less than all Sk field pea production. That's way less than durum and lentils. That's even less than our summerfallow acres.

as I said before for corn and soy to take a sizeable place in our entire production mix it will need to expand by 3 or 5 fold.
                            I know we are off topic but in the case of soybeans here in south east Sask soy acres were getting larger and larger until it turned dry. IMO the big problem with soybeans is the lack of an August rain in many years. In the drought years 25-30 bu per acre just doesn't cut it. It goes both ways too. I remember in the GRIP days in Manitoba where there was lots of Lentils grown in the red river valley and lots of seed plants started processing lentils. In the dry years of the late 80's Lentils worked very good in southern Manitoba.
                            My point is that most guys loved growing beans and will again as soon as conditions improve. $105 seed makes it a tough sell. Three years ago the root rot in the peas and lentils were so bad that soybeans were the perfect fit. I was amazed how fast the elevators started buying soybeans. We had to ship our peas a long ways for years before more local delivery opportunities existed.

Comment

I guess I’ve gotta drive around a little more as I’ve never seen 600 acres of carrots grown in the Regina area, many Lumsden I really haven’t seen it though.

I’m a little more than an hour away from Regina and when I do drive there I usually take the back road crop checking tour and I’ve scene lots of different crops but never 600 acres of carrots.

The thread is about Regina area rent and I know I don’t live in the Regina area anymore but out this way it’s anywhere between 10 and 50 dollars an acre and most land averages a hundred thousand a quarter what sold.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post

You keyboard jockeys ask why land is so expensive here and I tell u why and then you say nothing grows here. You are dead wrong.

Just like canola wasn't economical here 20 yrs ago all it took was some genetic tweaking and it's everywhere now.

Same thing will happen with corn and soy if it does get expanded. But I am interested what other area you have in mind that could handle 10m acres of corn and soy under the conditions we have? It will happen along a stretch of the transcanada. High moisture with enough GDD and able to take a Nov harvest.

Sorry if logic triggers you. That's your problem.
                                Canola is a niche market around me. Beans, corn, everywheres. Love those crops

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...