• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help with land rental, Regina region.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    It is not them that know they are being hosed by whom they think is a friend. It is I. I am trying to help them see this, but not getting very far. I don’t think there is any arrangement whatsoever. It is just a sad situation all round.
    Yes that is a sad situation!! I hate people being taken advantage of on either side of a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
      There is a theory that that little stretch of land that cuts between mj and Regina and runs SE can support every crop that can be grown on the continent. Easily has the most diverse crop mix right now. Lentils peas canola flax durum wheat chicks. The only place in sk with enough moisture and gdd to support corn and soya. You could potentially have a 5 or six crop rotation in there someday.
      You really are clueless.

That area doesnt have any potential to grow coarse grains profitably.

You need to take a drive to the RRV or the grainbelt of texas.

Comment

is that 30/acre on all acres, or farmable acres? still sound way low, taxes probably 15/acre.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
          Perhaps if it's a friend of theirs money isnt as important to the deal as it is to you. Might be best to worry about the problems in your backyard instead and besides aren't you usually complaining how your neighbors gave run the cost of land beyond a profitable level.
          I understand yer take given the limited info I have given. I have limited it for obvious reasons, and not to make it a long winded post. All I was looking for is rental rates. Yes money is important to them. But more important would be to break a relationship that is one sided. This isn’t the first time these senior folk have been had by greedy crooks. By a long shot... just trying to help them out is all.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
            You really are clueless.

Really. Lentils popular in the RRV? How about canola in Texas?

Guys are getting the same wheat yields as the northern areas and taking them off 2 grades better. Maybe you should take a drive.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
              Really. Lentils popular in the RRV? How about canola in Texas?

Guys are getting the same wheat yields as the northern areas and taking them off 2 grades better. Maybe you should take a drive.

Edible beans. Lentils. Peas.

Canning peas potatoes carrots onions. Export hay, dad had sugar beets at one time.

3 classes of wheat.

Buckwheat.

Canola
              Flax
              Hemp

And I could go on.

My cousin raises winter canola and caraway along with rice beans corn cotton and small grains plus sorghum in the panhandle.

You talk alot about how the world is but you dont have a clue about anything past your backyard.

Comment

Originally posted by Zephyr View Post
                Are you sure you can’t grow coarse grains profitability in the Moose Jaw-Regina heavy clay area?
                Why are the land values so high? Just north of Moose Jaw has some of the most expensive land in Saskatchewan.

RRV dirt is very productive, no doubt about that. I’ll take your word for it on Texas, which would be a good place to tour.

Comment

Aha, seniors. Yes, I've seen seniors taken for years until the family steps in. There are definitely those who would take advantage in all areas.
                  If they are aware is one thing. If they are oblivious and over trusting, that's another.
                  If your not in that area Sheep, then the risk to yourself to help them is low.

Comment

Sounds like you have made a few RED faces,there are lots of seniors or beneficarys being taken by lots of BTOs.
                    I know of 1 where when the landlord wanted out she ended up paying the renter for such as logging off timber ,working down sod land,picking rocks, In the end she paid more to the tenant than she recived in rent.
                    All you hear on here is how bad the rental rates are.

Comment

Originally posted by bigzee View Post
                      I’ve heard as high as $125 west of Regina.
                      Out here in my neck of the woods ( NW of Maple Creek, RM 141 ) if someone dangled $125 per acre cash rent , they would probably get a third of the farmland that is farmed out here. They sure would get all of mine. It would be kind of neat to take a summer holiday for a change!

Comment

Perspective.... My Dad told me my grandpa said to his older sons and his son-in-law that they couldn't/wouldn't pay for land that was selling for $5000/quarter(1950's-60's, have to ask which year). In 1991 I pay $50,000. Now it's probably about $320K. I said I would never see ten times my purchase price that my Uncle did. You never know.

So, moral of the story is land rents decades later for purchase cost decades earlier. I doubt land will ever rent for today's purchase price in the near distant future.

Comment

I've been told as high as $140/ac around Swift Current. If you're doing cash rent, $100/ac is bare minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
                            I've been told as high as $140/ac around Swift Current. If you're doing cash rent, $100/ac is bare minimum.
                            Too much risk and I don't like work that much that I do it for nothing.
                            But I will never hit a home-run if all I ever do is bunt at the plate. What do the heavy hitters think?

Comment

If I am paying $140 a acre I will buy it first. Ownership is way better than renting, way better.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                                If I am paying $140 a acre I will buy it first. Ownership is way better than renting, way better.
                                Totally agree with you saskfarmer. But even with land ownership, at our commodity prices today, our cost on that land with land payments and inputs would equal nearly $300 an acre, if not more. And that's on a pretty modest input and equipment budget. That's 45 bushels an acre of number 1 wheat, or 40 bushel an acre of durum. Those would be 5 or 10 year average yield around here.

I'm not looking to farm just to break even.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...