• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Outlook

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2020 Outlook

It’s been many years since I last stuck my neck out and publically looked at the potential moves for the year ahead. It’s my favorite forecast as I try to look at the big picture and don’t get caught up in the daily trading noise that is todays’ volatile markets. So, for what it’s worth, I’d like to dust off the crystal ball and give it a go.

I do believe that 2020 will be the year that commodities regain some attention (and respect). We all know that is long overdue. To put it in perspective, the S&P index has recently been trading at about 40 times the value of the Bloomberg Commodity Index (an extreme record high). For comparison, the S&P was 17.3 times the BCOM index when the Dot Com bubble burst in January of 2000. That highlights how undervalued commodities are today compared to the companies that profit off them. On the other hand, just 11 short years ago when commodities peaked in June of 2008, the S&P was only 5.5 times the BCOM index. When I mentioned in a previous thread that stocks and commodities often alternate leadership, I wasn’t kidding. Now that the US Federal Reserve has clearly stated it welcomes inflation and has been actively injecting cash into the system through the Repo market, commodities could quickly come back into favour.

Closer to home, corn looks to be a major benefactor in such a scenario. China will likely be the trigger, whether through direct purchases of US corn or indirectly by purchasing much of the corn South America has to offer, then South America purchasing US corn to fill the void (already happening). They also have a significant need for ethanol (if they want to reach their blending targets) and are looking for ways to buy US ag products to satisfy the phase 1 trade deal requirements. The result may well be an increase in corn demand from the US ethanol industry to meet those sales. With declining carryover stocks prior to the added (export and ethanol) demand, prices look poised to rally. Referring to the charts for targets, it looks like the 2019 high of $4.64/bu will be tested and a close above that should result in a rally to $5.30 initially with a test of $5.63 possible (resistance from July, 2013).

Such a move would certainly help Chicago (Soft Red Winter) wheat rally out of the saucer bottom formation I mentioned on another thread. Carryover for the 2019/20 crop year in the US is predicted to fall to 111 mil bu (by the USDA) compared to 158 mil last year and 205 mil bu the year before. Nothing cures low prices like low prices (and horrible weather in 2019). In the coming year we should see resistance near $6/bu violated with a move up to $7.50/bu US quite likely. This will certainly help spring wheat along the way.

Oilseeds are a little trickier as the soybean crush is usually driven by the demand for meal. Right now, vegetable oils are the hot commodity and look to carry on that way for the foreseeable future. The monthly soybean oil chart has a huge double bottom on it with a measured move up to $.50/lb (from the current $.3478 level). This may be too much to ask for in one year and may drag out to 2021 but would certainly benefit canola.

In the non-ag world, I expect gold and silver will be the big winners of 2020. Given inflation is the stated goal of central bankers around the world now and there appears to be a lack of confidence in world currencies, precious metals are gaining traction (the Chinese Yuan is out of favour after the trade war, the Euro is a mess as is the Yen and the White House wants a cheap US dollar to help exports). As a result, the monthly gold chart has a fantastic looking saucer bottom forming that suggests the record high of $1923/oz will be challenged, possibly in the year ahead (currently $1518). Silver has a similar base forming but it may take a few years before it challenges its record high of $49.82/oz set in April of 2011.

With that, my New Years’ wish to you is that this opinion is worth more than you paid for it (by working out), Happy New Year to all!!

And remember, take time to do something you enjoy today…

I’d love a silver lining. Not gonna wait for 50 bucks this time - exit, stage left. 👍

Comment

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your views. Takes a lot of guts to make public projections, especially with this crowd. I don't find much to disagree with, except I'm not very confident that they will succeed in creating meaningful inflation in anything priced in USD, given the worldwide money flows into the US, due to all of the reasons you listed, it will take massive efforts to overcome that tidal wave. Doesn't mean that commodities can't benefit from all the money looking for a home in USD though.

Comment

Originally posted by TechAnalyst View Post
        Closer to home, corn looks to be a major benefactor in such a scenario. China will likely be the trigger, whether through direct purchases of US corn or indirectly by purchasing much of the corn South America has to offer, then South America purchasing US corn to fill the void (already happening). They also have a significant need for ethanol (if they want to reach their blending targets) and are looking for ways to buy US ag products to satisfy the phase 1 trade deal requirements. The result may well be an increase in corn demand from the US ethanol industry to meet those sales. With declining carryover stocks prior to the added (export and ethanol) demand, prices look poised to rally. Referring to the charts for targets, it looks like the 2019 high of $4.64/bu will be tested and a close above that should result in a rally to $5.30 initially with a test of $5.63 possible (resistance from July, 2013).
        Hey Tech, thanks for your comments and observations.
        Your comments regarding corn would certainly be a game changer. I cannot find any stats showing US exports of corn to major SA exporters. Going back many years shows that Columbia and Peru are the only SA countries that are steady importers of US corn. So far this marketing year corn has sailed from the US to Columbia and Venezuela in sizable quantities.
        China shows Ukraine and the US as the major origins for corn imports.
        Regarding prices the bounce off 3.71 in the March was good to see, but right now the trend is lower.
        In the nearby, prices haven't been above $4 since August save for about an hour in the middle of the night Oct 14. As of Dec 19th outstanding corn sales and exports are 57% of last year.
        $4 first target. Closes above $4.20 would indicate an uptrend in the works.
        Again thanks for your work, hope this comment is taken as grist for the mill

Comment

Happy New Year Farming, you were right to call me out on the ‘already happening’. I was referring to the 200,000mt corn purchase for import by Brazilian meat giant JBS-SA due to soaring domestic corn prices (up almost 50% in three months as a result of strong Brazilian exports). I had seen it reported as US origin but when I went back to check, it turned out to be Argentine sourced.

That doesn’t change the fact that China looks to become a significant importer in the future given they have increased their domestic use by 49 MMT in the last four years. So far imports have only increased to 7 MMT from 3.46 last year while they work through their large stockpiles but the pattern is very similar to their reliance on imported soybeans over the years (soybean imports went from under 5 MMT 21 years ago to over 90 MMT recently). If Brazil and Argentina for the most part have maxed out their export potential, any future sales to China could be difficult without increasing imports.

As far as the short term price targets go, my objective in these exercises is to try to look at where we may be in 12 to 18 months and how that could impact our businesses. I’m not too worried about when we’ll surpass $4, more about what are the implications for management if the long term potential is realized.

All the best for 2020

Comment

For those of you who are looking for something to read over the holidays I thought you may find it interesting to review the original post from last year.

When I hear repeatedly that 'No one could have seen this coming' I disagree. I believe it was predictable.

In case anyone is wondering, corn is at $4.55 currently, Chicago wheat is $6.30, soybean oil is 42 cents/lb (helping canola reach almost $650/t) and gold hit a record high in the fall at $2089/oz.

The purpose of this reply is to simply point out the potential value of market analysis. It will evolve as influencing factors change but that just makes it all the more important to follow with an open mind.

That said, I do believe that a market analyst that is afraid to contradict the popular theory for fear of looking incompetent isn't worth wasting time or money on (because they are incompetent).

With that I would like to wish you all a happy and prosperous New Year!!

And remember, take time to do something you enjoy today...

Comment

Thanks for sharing...

So what’s with wheat ?

Comment

You keep saying 2020 over and over but it's 2021 we are going into? Am I missing some thing, its early and I haven't had a drink in almost 60 days.

Just asking for a friend.

Comment

It is interesting how many of the predictions came true in 2020 thanks to the covid inflation trade. 2021 will, however, see the end of that and a pivot back to debt deflation as people realize we are in a depression. Since the government is not planning to get out of the way, this is a depression that only the youngest members on here will see the end of.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                    You keep saying 2020 over and over but it's 2021 we are going into? Am I missing some thing, its early and I haven't had a drink in almost 60 days.

The first 5 posts were from December 30, 2019 looking out to 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by TechAnalyst View Post
                      The first 5 posts were from December 30, 2019 looking out to 2020.
                      Any predictions into 2021..will certainly be an interesting year....dryness...prices etc????

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post

You should have said you were drinking.

Comment

Sticking my nose out on what's going to happen in 2021.

Lots and lots of Barley will be grown. Wheat, not durum will drop in acres by quite a bit. Guys around us are switching 1000 acres and up to barley for feed.

Canola acres will be up but if the drought moves west lookout on the final outcome for yield. They will drive the market down with massive acres till the west starts to wilt then they will say Manitoba and sask will be big.

It's bone dry in most of Western Canada. So that might be the news story of 2021. The USA is also dry and so is Some of Brazil and Argentina. Maybe we don't have such a large supply.

Canada is in a shit show and if Covid 19 is done it won't be till later in fall of 2021. Look for lots of small and a few large businesses to go down.

Gold will continue to move up. The USA elected a putz and by fall we will get what they actually are. It's the same as we have in Canada. Clean energy deal and rah rah BS.

Once the American population realize what's happening all bets are off. They don't play like we do in Canada and keep electing a putz. Even Democrats get pissed at what's coming.

People will start to wake up in Canada and Ask why were locked down and can't go anyplace. People will start to ask why is China such a big part of Canadian politics and society.

Its a guess but is it really.

Comment

There is something off in the markets. I dont remember a yr ever where the major crops are this sold out 6 months before a new crop gets going.

I dont think its dryness they are responding to. It something else. China appears to be stockpiling and has already bought up a lot of cheaper crop than it is now. What are they up to?
                            Last edited by jazz; Dec 28, 2020, 08:35.

Comment

When WWW3 happens and china walks in and starves all of NA it will be an easy win. Skippy and Biden will be sent to tropical islands for doing a great job.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...