• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BEEF/GRAIN/CHICKENS...ETC.==politics

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BEEF/GRAIN/CHICKENS...ETC.==politics

I've read alot of threads that are very debatible in nature, some even deserving an argument; it's allways at least a dood read. The true and simple fact is Canadian Agriculture is inthe SHITTER.
    For many of the past 12 years the 'ol "hang on to the tail of the cows & they'll drag you through the bad times" saying ain't working.
    We all know grain farming has been in a skid.
    Diversification inthe last 4-6 years has generally been not very positive. Any movement into cattle has had drastic casulties, let alone any semi- domesticated beasts. Larger acres of everything from echenicia and hemp to better barley and the jerusulum turnip have had limited cash. Hell the good old oilwell check can't come soon enough, when you're waiting.
    We can discuss this along time, but the fact remains the entire basic food sources inthis counry cannot survive on what's left over after margins have been looked after.
    Obviously every one has their view. Maybe it's time to let urban consumers know that we simply cannot garuntee supply of cheap and safe and fresh groceries like they have had.
    Things have got to change. no more top heavy admin. cost schemes. Agriculture has hit a wall in Canada.

With 20 some days till someone once again has our countrys farmers in their hands, maybe its time they heard from some of us.Call an old friend in the city; see what they think; hell ya might even sell him a freezer full of meat. This current government has ignored agricultural PRODUCERS too long.

You have certainly got that right! However I doubt anything will change. One day the people will wake up and realize the rural population no longer exists...the peasants have pulled out to greener pastures!
    Why would any young person want to take on huge debt to lose money? No predictable income and no control over expense or profit. It quite frankly is a no brainer?
    I was talking to a farmer last year and asked him how his crops were(now this farmer has a lot of land, good equipment,and does it right). His reply" Oh I did fairly well, got a good crop and sold it well. Don't owe any money and I got a few bucks put away, but you know you don't have to be much of a genius to make 50K on a 10 million dollar asset! In fact I'd be better off flipping burgers at MacDonalds! I have no idea why I keep doing this...I must be an idiot or something!"
    Now he was 58 and he admitted he was getting tired and wanted to quit. His kids were all gone and weren't coming back. He wanted to travel and play more golf. And I suspect there are a whole lot of farmers just like him? Who will want to pack it in soon? Who will replace them?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.