• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hay value in your area

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hay value in your area

Curious to see what the value of hay is in your area on a per lb basis.Offered some to a fella for .6 per lb and never even got so much as a reply.In our area in sw Manitoba looks like between .5 and.9 per lb.Also is the high priced hay selling at the asking price or are people dreaming?thx for your input...bob

Glut of poor hay in this area(west central AB), and no one wants to truck poor to mediocre hay to where there was a shortage. I'm moving some decent hay at 4 cents per pound. Haven't found a price that will move the really poor hay yet, and holding out for more on good hay.

Comment

Van Raays are moving thousands of straw bales about 6 or 7 hrs one way. Three trucks a day have been going through since mid to late October and should be going until the New Year sometime.

Can't be cheap.

Comment

8 - 12 cents per pound, Southern Ontario. Little good quality hay this winter.

Straw is about 10 cents.

Comment

Seems like 5 to 6 cents a lb around here. For good hay. Gunna seed a bunch more. Good money in hay!

Comment

https://afsc.ca/wp-nfs/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/2019-Forage.pdf

This is pretty accurate for Alberta.
            I moved 1200 in Aug for 0.05$/lb.
            I refuse to deal with hay in the winter.

Comment

Early on hay was asking 8 cents,not sure how much moved,quality is poor and noone wants to buy until they are on the last bail and you have to battle snow and frozen strings.
              I think the demand will pick up when people find out you cant just wrap everything,there is going to be a lot of spoiled feed.
              There is always those who will offer 3 cent,but I cant make hay for that so will set on it for now.

Comment

Price/lb depends on how big of a lie someone tells. Guys say their bales weigh 1800 lbs. Never seen an 1800 lbs dry hay bale in my life. I can believe 1400-1500 but 1800 is a stretch. Makes it hard for the honest guy that actually weighs the darn things.

Comment

Highest I have heard locally is 5-6 cents a pound, minimum is about 4 cents. Straw is 8 cents, 500 mile round trip, coming in from Southern Manitoba, mid squares.

Southern MN slough grass hay large squares is 8-10 CDN, corn stalk 6x5's are around $125/bale CDN. Start talking quality hay and the sky is the limit in the US. Pretty much $200/ton US minimum. Have heard up to $300-350 US.

Comment

Thx.guys I guess I have a better idea now,i cant imagine how anyone could buy or sell by the bale ,weighing is fair for everyone involved....bob

Comment

At 120 a tonne do you start thinking of selling cows?

Comment

Originally posted by bob_64 View Post
                        Thx.guys I guess I have a better idea now,i cant imagine how anyone could buy or sell by the bale ,weighing is fair for everyone involved....bob
                        99% of hay/straw here is sold by bale. Common attitude sees per pound pricing as nit-picking. 90% of hay is stored outside, so some spoilage is to be expected and how you factor the per pound weight of that waste to be deducted would only cause tension. The only questions a buyer need concern himself with here is: do I need it? And can I afford it? Beggars can't be choosers.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                          At 120 a tonne do you start thinking of selling cows?
                          BTO beef guys around Fargo to Twin Cities are paying $125-160 CDN per ton for slough grass for their cows, so they would be the ones to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by 15444 View Post
                            99% of hay/straw here is sold by bale. Common attitude sees per pound pricing as nit-picking. 90% of hay is stored outside, so some spoilage is to be expected and how you factor the per pound weight of that waste to be deducted would only cause tension. The only questions a buyer need concern himself with here is: do I need it? And can I afford it? Beggars can't be choosers.
                            Good point never been a buyer or a seller,usually had enough for myself with minimal leftovers...bob

Comment

Twenty years ago in a dry year a cow bto was advertising for hay in July, I had some, phoned him and said I wanted 30 a bale, he said great I will come in January, I told him pay me now and haul it out of the field, haven't heard from him since. Told a good friend at 2000 acre land there is no cheap anything.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...