• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crack the Bags

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crack the Bags

There’s a lot of damp/wet grain in bags this year. Spoke to a farmer who assumes it is still ok. Just wondering if anyone has cracked open and checked.

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
    There’s a lot of damp/wet grain in bags this year. Spoke to a farmer who assumes it is still ok. Just wondering if anyone has cracked open and checked.
    Well a few neighbors (and myself) got some in the bin surprises so far. Heated canola, some wheat. Cant imagine whats in all those bags.

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
      I know of someone that has a bin of heated canola which is no longer saleable. He wasn’t checking it enough. I wouldn’t assume grain in bags will be ok,with canola being a priority! My neighbour bags canola, wheat and barley but haven’t heard about theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by AC man View Post
        I know of someone that has a bin of heated canola which is no longer saleable. He wasn’t checking it enough. I wouldn’t assume grain in bags will be ok,with canola being a priority! My neighbour bags canola, wheat and barley but haven’t heard about theirs.
        You won’t hear a thing either. Bags are little miracles. You can put anything in them and it always comes out just grand!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
          You won’t hear a thing either. Bags are little miracles. You can put anything in them and it always comes out just grand!
          Thats enough sarcasm for a Sunday morning.

Cracking those bags....

What do you do with it if you don't have anywhere to put it? Turing grain in a bag means putting it back in a new bag.

Many BTOs use them on their rented land, they have their place.
          Would you pay extra rent if the landlord had bins thrown into the deal?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post

Many BTOs use them on their rented land, they have their place.
            Would you pay extra rent if the landlord had bins thrown into the deal?
            I know I would, but I’m not a BTO.
            Last edited by Sodbuster; Dec 15, 2019, 14:19.

Comment

The gal I deal with at the elevator said it is almost like an epidemic with the amount of grain heating....figures some guys would have been better off combining in the spring.

Comment

This is not first hand imfo but about a month ago someone tweeted about heated wheat in a bag. He said the wheat was 23% and went in the bag cold. He concentrated on drying canola and thought the wheat would keep in a bag. When he got to the bag he was surprised it was hot.

Comment

Lifting canola right now, Friday morning the ground was steaming. Not that it ever freezes just looks scary as hell. 11-12.5 moisture. Bags got laid down Oct 6.

Comment

At least grain in aeration, with turning will keep until you can mix it off. At 20 below, should be ok?

Comment

So, how do you monitor grain temperature in a bag? Especially considering the bags are likely far from home?

I assume once you poke a hole to measure, that lets air in, and allows spoilage to start? Can you leave temperature probes in, and connect them to a binsense type of system?

Or just wait until someone reports the snow all melting on your bags?

Guys using the tube wrappers for bales with this years incessant bad weather, and their theory was that you could put it in at any moisture, and even if it was much too dry to ensile, just sealing out the air keeps it from spoiling. Sounds like the results aren't always as intended though.

Comment

i haven't ever saw a bag thats been there more than a week that didn't have holes in them from ravens, deer, elk, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          So, how do you monitor grain temperature in a bag? Especially considering the bags are likely far from home?

I assume once you poke a hole to measure, that lets air in, and allows spoilage to start? Can you leave temperature probes in, and connect them to a binsense type of system?

Or just wait until someone reports the snow all melting on your bags?

Guys using the tube wrappers for bales with this years incessant bad weather, and their theory was that you could put it in at any moisture, and even if it was much too dry to ensile, just sealing out the air keeps it from spoiling. Sounds like the results aren't always as intended though.
                          Stab it with a thermometer probe then tape the hole shut when you're done. If you're concerned about introducing any additional oxygen than is already in the bag, I think you've already accepted the fact that what's in there is comparable to silage and trying to preserve those conditions is an admission it needs addressing. There's some real challenging unfortunate conditions being dealt with because of the "Harvest ftom Hell"....that never ended and the sequel is set for next spring.

Comment

Canola is only safe after its dumped through the grates and the cheque is cashed. A lot of personal thresholds and limits were pushed this harvest. One guy I know put a piece of tape over the combines moisture readout and wrote the letters "DRY". Worse than being damp is being uncured and damp.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                              Canola is only safe after its dumped through the grates and the cheque is cashed. A lot of personal thresholds and limits were pushed this harvest. One guy I know put a piece of tape over the combines moisture readout and wrote the letters "DRY". Worse than being damp is being uncured and damp.

I think that the biggest problem this fall was we had too cool of a summer and when we started harvesting, a lot of the grain simply was not mature enough and the multiple frosts in September added to the problem.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...