• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seed royalties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seed royalties

Got thinking about the seed royalty discussion the other day.
    Guys who support the idea say farmers will benefit from improved seed genetics / higher yield etc, so therefore we should be willing to invest more / pay royalties on farm saved seed.
    OK, fair enough.
    But what about the grain companies and railways? They will also benefit.
    Higher yields and better quality crops means grain companies will be selling more bushels of wheat and making bigger profits.
    Bigger harvests mean railway companies will be making more money moving Canadian grain.
    So let's get grain cos and railways to invest in plant breeding too.
    All in favour, say aye!

How dare you !!!

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
      How dare you !!!
      How double dare you!!!!!!!

Bringing facts to a discussion. ....

Comment

Originally posted by HITTGrapevine View Post
        Guys who support the idea say farmers will benefit from improved seed genetics / higher yield etc, so therefore we should be willing to invest more / pay royalties on farm saved seed.
        OK, fair enough.
        Higher yields and better quality crops means grain companies will be selling more bushels of wheat and making bigger profits.
        Bigger harvests mean railway companies will be making more money moving Canadian grain.
        All in favour, say aye!
        aaaaand….freight costs go up and get passed on to the dumb farmer!

Comment

At the end of the day it should be the public paying for this,for us farmers it will just increase cost all the way across the board. Remember when canola seed was 1 dollar per pound treated!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-mo View Post
            aaaaand….freight costs go up and get passed on to the dumb farmer!
            Rubber stamped freight increases and demurrage. ...

Comment

Grow more for less ..... I meant to say for nothing!!!!!!
              Take a look at canola. Bring back the first hybrid ... Hyola 401, $2.39 lb.

Comment

yea , were supposed to pay for R&D , then pay to buy the seed, then pay a royalty to grow it , and never own any of it ?????????????? and on top of that they can sell it to our competitors
                **** it looks stupid when you see it in print
                as tweety would say , just a bunch of welfare sissies that don't know how to run a business

Comment

Spg wants to set up a farmer owned seed company. As long as there ain’t a board of directors and a CEO.
                  If there is,the ceo will figure out a way to sell and take a big pay out. Then the gouge will begin.

Comment

Originally posted by TASFarms View Post
                    Spg wants to set up a farmer owned seed company. As long as there ain’t a board of directors and a CEO.
                    If there is,the ceo will figure out a way to sell and take a big pay out. Then the gouge will begin.
                    The point of seed company owned by farmers is keep control of the seed and not give the varieties away or private label them to the seed cos or processors like what they did with king red....

Comment

Originally posted by HITTGrapevine View Post
                      OK, fair enough.
                      All in favour, say aye!
                      Ahhh... at the risk of being torn to shreds.... Who do you think owns SeCan, Canterra, FP Genetics...Value etc... if overage in freight rates... where does the money go[WGRF/Wheat/Bly commissions in W/Canada]? Farmers...through Plant Breeding....Farmer owned Seed Distribution Co's....Hmmm... stating the facts and obvious reality... will get the usual condemnation Bully comments???

How about look at who owns Secan, SPG, AWC, ABC, APG, SWG.... etc, etc, etc... Co-operatives/co's directed by farmers,,, principally from western Canada...

Comment

Tom its all really nice but Canadian AG is getting way to costly and we are slowly being replaced on the world stage by other countries that don't have all the parasites taking there cut.

Sorry, it's like the guns this will be over my dead body.

I'm sick of paying for shit.

Comment

According to yesterday's Wasde report from the USDA the world is awash in wheat. In this scenario how is increasing our yields a benefit? I generally find lack of rain determines my yield more than genetics. So this year as I have said before I could make more money selling my number 1 and 2 11 protein Brandon wheat into the feed market(all sold for feed) than I could selling it to an elevator for export. Why do I need to pay more for genetics to supply chicken and hog feed? One other thought the watermelons of the world keep predicting less food production due to climate change, certainly not happening in the grain complex!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...
                          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.