• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grading Help

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grading Help

I don't trust these companies this year. Here are my durum and some heated canola I had.
    ------
    3 CWAD 14.8

QC Grading Factors :
    Protein (14.800 %) Moisture (14.600 %) Mildew (3.200 N/A) Sprouted Kernels (5.300 %) Frost (3.200 N/A) Hard Vitreous Kernels (73.000 %) Test Weight g/0.5L. grams/half litre (387.000 g/.5l) Severe Sprouted (2.600 %)

TF 3 Canada

QC Grading Factors :
    Moisture (12.100 %) Oil Content (38.900 %) Heat Damage (1.200 %) Distinctly Green (0.700 %)
    -------

Thought there were a little harsh on the durum. 1.2% heated is pretty low and low green count.

Does this seem fair? Would blending the canola with my better stuff or cleaning the durum help out?

Originally posted by jazz View Post
    I don't trust these companies this year. Here are my durum and some heated canola I had.
    ------
    3 CWAD 14.8

QC Grading Factors :
    Protein (14.800 %) Moisture (14.600 %) Mildew (3.200 N/A) Sprouted Kernels (5.300 %) Frost (3.200 N/A) Hard Vitreous Kernels (73.000 %) Test Weight g/0.5L. grams/half litre (387.000 g/.5l) Severe Sprouted (2.600 %)

TF 3 Canada

QC Grading Factors :
    Moisture (12.100 %) Oil Content (38.900 %) Heat Damage (1.200 %) Distinctly Green (0.700 %)
    -------

Thought there were a little harsh on the durum. 1.2% heated is pretty low and low green count.

Does this seem fair? Would blending the canola with my better stuff or cleaning the durum help out?
    A maximum of 0.1% heated seed is permissible for No. 1 Canola (1 seed per 1,000).
    • No. 2 Canola can contain up to 0.5% heated seed (5 seeds per 1,000).*
    • ​​No. 3 Canola can contain up to 2% heated seed (20 seeds per 1,000).*​

Pretty hard to blend out heated canola even though its low, could end up screwing up even more loads. Elevators dont even try. Sucks though, I get it.

Comment

Crushers are sometimes a good market for canola with a small amount of heating. Richardson told me a few years ago that my canola was heated, they wouldn't take it but I could truck it to their Lethbridge crusher. The crusher just called it damage not heated. Basis was better heading west. Even though it was 5 hrs by truck it was only about .25 a bu.

Might be worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
        Pretty hard to blend out heated canola even though its low, could end up screwing up even more loads. Elevators dont even try. Sucks though, I get it.
        About 25% of my canola is heated, rest is all #1. I would have to blend it all together to try and get into a better grade. Not a wise risk to take. Better to dump the heated now and try to wait for better fortunes on the good stuff.

Any thoughts about the wheat? Would cleaning help? Somewhere I read that sending it all through a vac can knock off some of the sprouts. 73% HVK is so close to jumping into the next grades. This might be worth holding and blending up.

Comment

If the graders are rolling out 300 seeds (grading guide indicates 500, but any I've seen only seem to do 300), then realistically, the threshold for detection is only 0.33%. Anything below that unlikely to be found in one load, obviously total probabilities increase with every load. Unless it smells, then they are supposed to roll out 1000, and your threshold drops to 0.1%.

So in theory, if it doesn't have odour, and you have enough good canola to dilute it down by at least 10 times, then it could work. But it is likely easier to work with them about just paper blending it, likely end up the same place in the end anyways.

Comment

The other consideration on the heated, is that likely most of the seeds counted as heated are only various degrees of tan or light brown, and wouldn't be counted as heated if not for the presence of 1 dark brown, which makes them all count as heated. Again, unless of course the sample or the tan seeds smell heated, then they all are heated even without the presence of one dark brown. So it could be that your sample is only .2% dark brown and heated, and the 1.0% is just damaged, so your threshold for detection would drop significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
              The other consideration on the heated, is that likely most of the seeds counted as heated are only various degrees of tan or light brown, and wouldn't be counted as heated if not for the presence of 1 dark brown, which makes them all count as heated. Again, unless of course the sample or the tan seeds smell heated, then they all are heated even without the presence of one dark brown. So it could be that your sample is only .2% dark brown and heated, and the 1.0% is just damaged, so your threshold for detection would drop significantly.
              AF I can detect some odor in this stuff so I bet they can too so I have no reason to doubt their findings.

Never had heated canola before or tough canola before. We don't even have aeration. Our land is south of the dry line and we always get a shot of weather to finish up dry, but not this yr.

Comment

About 25% of my canola is heated, rest is all #1. I would have to blend it all together to try and get into a better grade. Not a wise risk to take. Better to dump the heated now and try to wait for better fortunes on the good stuff.

Any thoughts about the wheat? Would cleaning help? Somewhere I read that sending it all through a vac can knock off some of the sprouts. 73% HVK is so close to jumping into the next grades. This might be worth holding and blending up.
                Without seeing your sample to for my own opinion I trust their assessment of 3-2 on frost assessment. What this refers to, assuming they are using a 1-5 scale, is that it is in the middle of the grade and not likely to be upgraded without at least a 50/50 blend with some middle #2 quality. Maybe You can knock off the sprouts but it will still be assessed as sprouted if the sprouts are long enough to be knocked off they should be assessed as severely sprouted either left on or knocked off.

Comment

Originally posted by walterm View Post
                  Without seeing your sample to for my own opinion I trust their assessment of 3-2 on frost assessment. What this refers to, assuming they are using a 1-5 scale, is that it is in the middle of the grade and not likely to be upgraded without at least a 50/50 blend with some middle #2 quality. Maybe You can knock off the sprouts but it will still be assessed as sprouted if the sprouts are long enough to be knocked off they should be assessed as severely sprouted either left on or knocked off.
                  Yikes, so basically I am fd. I have downgrades across the board. Good canola needs 2pts drying, some heated, durum down to a 3 unless I can find a drunk grader and I find out I have volunteer durum in my nice quality lentils which could get a downgrade too.

Nasty year.

Comment

Unrelated and with respect. Do any new bin plans in your area include aeration??
                    From here, it would appear valuable to at least cool down in late fall. Preventing convection current concentration issues as well as bugs.
                    Not drying of course just maintenance.

Comment

This year must be a grader’s nightmare too.

Comment

Vac at minus 25 and colder and it does or did for us.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.