• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whiny multinational seed companies pulling out of canuckistan

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whiny multinational seed companies pulling out of canuckistan

So given that the seed tax is delayed, China's Syngenta and France's Limagrain are stopping cereal breeding in canuckistan. Certified wheat seed is listed at $12 to $15 bu bushel around here. The question is do our competitors in the US, UK, or Australia pay more for seed than that? How about Russia and the Ukraine? Somehow I doubt it. These multinational companies figured canuckistan's government as a soft touch I am sure and would easily convey them all sorts of rights with some wining and dining, and promises of investment but apparently us farmers were not so easily baffled with bullshit. Anyways to Syngenta and Limagrain: wheat prodcuers are not getting a return on their investment right either.
    Last edited by ajl; Dec 4, 2019, 17:10.

Is ChemChina/Syngenta focusing their sales in communist regimes now instead?

Comment

Don't let the door hit you in the ass!

Go back to public seed breeders and get some varieties that don't need fungicide every 10 days and loose grade after 2 light rinses.

Comment

yep, good riddance, and take 'Cant'-erra with you.

Comment

Maybe the parasites are sensing their host will be on life support soon. Time to move on.

Here's something for those parasites to aim for, I don't need more bushels or more bushels that require more inputs....I need traits, that make me money with LESS investment and expense...even if it means growing LESS bushels. If you can't do that for me....fúck off.

Wow, what a concept.

Comment

Good riddance. Not enough money in cereals for the producer let alone a seed co getting their hooks in. Wonder too if they saw the pushback from producers about seed royalties. Saw there was no more money extort from the system so they left. That said I have no problem with our check offs going to public breeding. Understand it takes money to develop new varieties and we can’t be on the public tit for it all. It’s either that and we keep control or we’re beholden to the bastards like canola.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
              Good riddance. Not enough money in cereals for the producer let alone a seed co getting their hooks in. Wonder too if they saw the pushback from producers about seed royalties. Saw there was no more money extort from the system so they left. That said I have no problem with our check offs going to public breeding. Understand it takes money to develop new varieties and we can’t be on the public tit for it all. It’s either that and we keep control or we’re beholden to the bastards like canola.
              I have a problem with saskpulse using our money to develop private label varieties for processors....

If they are not smart enough to get development costs and a profit out of a variety then why do it?
              Last edited by bucket; Dec 5, 2019, 06:34.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                I have a problem with saskpulse using our money to develop private label varieties from processors....

If they are not smart enough to get development costs and a profit out of a variety then why do it?
                My thoughts exactly.

If the market isn't demanding it, why the hell are they trying to produce it? Unless they can come up with something dramatically better than what is currently available in the market, how much is all this "tinkering around the edges" of cereal genetics really worth?

It would seem the majority of farmers are saying: "Not Very Much!"

Comment

Great news, government is putting out much better varieties anyways at a reasonable cost. These big seed companies can **** off.

Comment

cert seed is 10 here, very reasonable.

Comment

King Red was sold for less than the cost of development...the same guy going around telling farmers to accept the new reality of the pulse market and trade barriers in others....

While he gets and is begging for more government money

AGT has been subsidized better than a dairy farm and yet can't write a cheque at the scale...

Why is that...and why should he be telling farmers to accept a reality of agriculture while he isn't...

How would AGT fair without the massive government handouts he has had????

Comment

Probably regrouping to figure out how to get the cereal seed prices up to Canola seed levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodtime View Post
                          Probably regrouping to figure out how to get the cereal seed prices up to Canola seed levels.
                          They have come to the realization that its not gonna happen
                          That 41% drop in net income is the final blow for them

Comment

Well ...when the test plots of the new latest varieties end up being feed grain ...I guess they haven't mastered the gene trait of Mother Nature...

The newest varieties didn't guarantee anyone a number 1 grade ...did they?

Be interested to see how the the varieties put into a different class are fairing this year...

Something that should be monitored on an ongoing basis....to justify the decisions they make about adding another class without proper testing...because their testing criteria would re-classify many newer varieties to the feed classes quickly...
                            Last edited by bucket; Dec 5, 2019, 07:20.

Comment

Follow the money and see which seed company executive sits on a board and advises the liberals about the seed business. Yea who the **** is he looking out for. I can tell you its not the farmers and when you have liberals that know nothing about ag its easy to see what will happen.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.