• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drying cost

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drying cost

We are still working on our dryer so it will be a bit before we get going. What are others finding to be their cost per bu to dry wheat ? Not many grain buyers set up to dry but the odd one does. Was quoted .25 cents per bu/per point .

It depends if you are trying to pay off a brand new dryer setup or not.

But really 25 cents per bu/point is good money. Real good money.
    At that cost there would be some second thoughts as to if it should have been left in the field for the winter if you're dealing with moisture levels above 18% or so for wheat. Especially if it has been severely down graded.

Comment

Local elevator drying for a small load of 19.2% hrs wheat was 36.2 cents per net dry bushel earlier this fall. Was surprised they took it that wet. Drying charges have gone up since but 25 cents per point would be excessive.

Comment

Charged about 9 cents a point for my oats at terminal.

Comment

All i know is we dry 15-19 wheat in fall for 1-2 cents a point with NG , would think it would cost 4 tomes as much when cold plus whatever the power cost is , have never calculated that

Comment

Have heard of 22 cents per point bushel for drying at Viterra terminals.

On top of drying don’t forget their will also be a shrinkage charge that will be significant.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post

On top of drying don’t forget their will also be a shrinkage charge that will be significant.
              Do they credit anyone for the gain in protein? Can be significant as well but they just pocket that one now don’t they.....

Comment

Not a word about me delivering wheat moisture testing as low as 10% last crop year. Deduct weight for tough grain but don't add for OVERLY dry.

Kinda gets tiring.

Comment

Our cost on propane and diesel to run a batch dryer 13c/bu for average I would guess 4%.

equipment and labour is harder to figure, if we charged $150/hr for 800bu batch dryer, tractor to run the PTO, labour and misc, it would be 80c/bu assuming 750bu dry. Resale value is high on dryers and the old tractor's hourly cost is pretty low so if I factored that in, it could be 40-50c/bu.

There is an outfit that does custom drying, charging 10c/bu with minimum 60c/bu charge.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                    Not a word about me delivering wheat moisture testing as low as 10% last crop year. Deduct weight for tough grain but don't add for OVERLY dry.

Kinda gets tiring.
                    got tiring a long fu_cking time ago
                    here you can deliver 10 loads oats at 12 mt , thirteenth is 14 mt and they still deduct shrink ? or any grain or any amount of it

them - "computer does it automatically"
                    me- "tell computer it is 13.5 mt?"
                    them- "have to know what it is"
                    me -"you are dumping it in the same bin ?????"
                    them- "no were not"
                    me- "well, your computer is dumping it in the same bin"
                    them - turns computer away

and around and around it goes

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post

yup this is where I got my price. What I am finding though that falling numbers is the big thing.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...
                      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.