• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corral lumber weather protection

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corral lumber weather protection

Just rebuilding some corrals, mostly wind fence and wondering if anyone has any good ideas for lengthening the lifespan. Not convinced the spruce rough lumber will hold up like the fir corrals I'm replacing. Have heard about spraying a mix of diesel and used oil as a preservative. Anyone try that with any success or other thoughts?

GASP!!!!

Comment

I never have any problems with that kind of lumber as long as its not in contact with the ground. It's a dry enough climate. We used creosote a lot in Scotland and you can still get it there although it's obviously been banned here.

Comment

Originally posted by GDR View Post
        Just rebuilding some corrals, mostly wind fence and wondering if anyone has any good ideas for lengthening the lifespan. Not convinced the spruce rough lumber will hold up like the fir corrals I'm replacing. Have heard about spraying a mix of diesel and used oil as a preservative. Anyone try that with any success or other thoughts?
        I've seen it done. My friend did his windbreak and corrals but I think with just used oil. He has sold his farm but at his sale last year the boards still looked good.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          GASP!!!!
          I meant to say dark oil based stain made from recycled materials, is that better?

Comment

I meant to say dark oil based stain made from recycled materials, is that better?
            It's all in how you say it.

Comment

Interesting about using oil for a preservative. Windboards seem to last it’s the plank you nail onto that doesn’t. Fir definitely lasts longer than spruce which lasts longer than poplar. Have some wood fence I put up in 2003 and wind fence put up in 2008. The wood fence with spruce plank and a couple sawed poplar are about done. Windbreak boards are good but planks rotten. The 24’ freestanding panels built the same time are still good as the day I drug them out there. I hate wood fence.

Comment

I use oil field material, weld bolts on to attach 2 by 6 boards and then nail slabs on, has worked well!

Comment

Originally posted by SCS View Post
                  I use oil field material, weld bolts on to attach 2 by 6 boards and then nail slabs on, has worked well!
                  That is about as good as it gets. Dad bought some freestanding windbreak frames. I bought 1/1/4” channel iron which I welded onto said frames. Used self tapping screws to affix windboards to channel iron. Has stood up well but when windboards break off it’s enough bother to replace boards. I wonder if a guy splurged for treated 2x6 and treated deck screws. I’m sure the CCA would eventually rust out non treated screws or nails. That said what are everyone’s opinions about screws or nails? I’ve done enough nails both air and hand. Too long of nails and boards work out. Screws stay put more so but wonder if they would rust out faster.

Comment

Freestanding windbreak panels are so cheap to buy and are long-lasting, I don't know anyone who would put up wood. Not to mention resale value. Every single auction I go to locally has the panels going at new price, or better.

Comment

We built pipe corrals with treated 2x6 and wind boards at Dads, was good but lots of work. We cemented the posts in which was maybe a mistake, lots of ground movement there and not so easy to fix when they are all welded togeather.

This project is in a second yard, needing some good wind protection for calving as is very exposed. Portable wind breaks are not a bad idea but are expensive by comparison and the portability is not required here.

I don't think deck screws are heavy enough gauge. At home I used galvanized nails for nailing planks as the treatment doesnt hurt them, problem is they are quite soft. I'm just using 5" twisted spikes and twisted air nails for wind boards, I think they will outlast the wood. I've seen guys use those truss head screws and they would be great when a board breaks. $1.50 each though and I'm too cheap.

Rot I get is between the wind board and the plank. I'm gonna try the oil and see, when it rots out again it might just be time to pack it in anyhow!

Comment

We built pipe corrals with treated 2x6 and wind boards at Dads, was good but lots of work. We cemented the posts in which was maybe a mistake, lots of ground movement there and not so easy to fix when they are all welded togeather.

This project is in a second yard, needing some good wind protection for calving as is very exposed. Portable wind breaks are not a bad idea but are expensive by comparison and the portability is not required here.

I don't think deck screws are heavy enough gauge. At home I used galvanized nails for nailing planks as the treatment doesnt hurt them, problem is they are quite soft. I'm just using 5" twisted spikes and twisted air nails for wind boards, I think they will outlast the wood. I've seen guys use those truss head screws and they would be great when a board breaks. $1.50 each though and I'm too cheap.

Rot I get is between the wind board and the plank. I'm gonna try the oil and see, when it rots out again it might just be time to pack it in anyhow!
                        Think when it comes down to it you’ll only get so many years out of a windbreak. Treated planks will add years for sure but wood lasts so long. I’ve looked for substitutes and nothing is as cost effective and easy to construct as wood if done properly. Now if they could come up with recycled plastic windboards or something.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...