• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US farmer income forecast to be highest since the record year of 2013

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US farmer income forecast to be highest since the record year of 2013

In comparison to canuckistan in which non supply managed farmer income will likely be below zero in both 2019 and 2020. There are always the lucky few of course mainly due to just the right kind of weather to produce well above average crops. Trouble with canuckistani figures, you always have the distortion that SM brings to the stats. The US figure does include the highest level of government payments in a long time as well.

How to make money farming:
    1.) Scoff at any idea of orderly marketing.
    2.) Let every agribusiness company bleed off your profits.
    3.) Collect government subsidies.
    4.) Profit??

Comment

headline does not tell whole story. First, pay attention to the word "forecast" in the title. This assumes all promised fed assistance will arrive this year, which is doubtful that US farmers will receive the full 33 billion pledged by the end of the year.

second, even if they do receive that level of subsidy, farm incomes will still be 29% lower than 2013 levels. And at the same time US farm debt has exploded. US farmers currently owe $416 Billion.

And not everyone agrees with the USDA forecast. The Kansas City fed says farm income is continuing to fall in a number of states. Iowa state University says 44% of Iowa farmers are having cash flow problems. American Farm Bureau reports farm bankruptcies were up 24% in Sept and are at the highest level since 2011.
      Last edited by dmlfarmer; Dec 3, 2019, 06:52.

Comment

Time magazine report on 2019 farm crisis https://time.com/5736789/small-american-farmers-debt-crisis-extinction/ https://time.com/5736789/small-american-farmers-debt-crisis-extinction/

Comment

Forbes magazine is even more negative. "In another report from Newton, his analysis shows that while farm income in 2019 should increase by 10% from 2018, that would put it in the bottom 25% of the past 90 inflation-adjusted years." https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2019/08/30/amid-trump-tariffs-farm-bankruptcies-and-suicides-rise/#2d8193802bc8 https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2019/08/30/amid-trump-tariffs-farm-bankruptcies-and-suicides-rise/#2d8193802bc8

Comment

Probably a good reason Trump turned down the Paris Accord climate clown act .... he knows the farmers are in trouble already ..... no need to completely kill them off like Canada is about to ..

Comment

Newsflash..... $5 cash corn bids first week of July. Yeah it's gonna be good. I blame the trade war. "I" states had their window when they could hit the mother load, exactly on a seasonal high. Takes discipline but that are much better then us at that. I have no problem with this. I wish they'd teach more.

Comment

The farm subsidy is twice the size of the entire auto bailout cost to taxpayers - which was a loan. Mind boggling.

https://americanindependent.com/donald-trump-farming-bailouts-trade-war-china-barack-obama-auto-industry-cars/ https://americanindependent.com/donald-trump-farming-bailouts-trade-war-china-barack-obama-auto-industry-cars/

Comment

Meanwhile our premier went to the premier meeting and got all the other provinces to cry for the oil industry and what was said about the situation Saskatchewan farmers are facing?

Comment

Aji has always stated it's greener on the south side of the 49th to farm, so I'm sure he didn't do any research before posting this B.S. he dug up.

I thought you were buying some CRP land in Montana?

Comment

No BS here just on your threads forage. Even the Producer email had an article on the latest USDA forecast. Have looked into immigration requirements to the US. There is employer sponsored visa or investor class. To qualify for investor class you need to invest either $1000000, or $500000 in a designated rural area, and create or demonstrate that you have saved 10 full time equivalent jobs. Just buying a farm does not cut it. I do know of a family that has recently sold out in SK and is farming in central Montana now but they were dual citizens already.

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                        No BS here just on your threads forage. Even the Producer email had an article on the latest USDA forecast. Have looked into immigration requirements to the US. There is employer sponsored visa or investor class. To qualify for investor class you need to invest either $1000000, or $500000 in a designated rural area, and create or demonstrate that you have saved 10 full time equivalent jobs. Just buying a farm does not cut it. I do know of a family that has recently sold out in SK and is farming in central Montana now but they were dual citizens already.
                        Not much point in jumping though all the hoops at this point in time, It will be much easier to negotiate wholesale acceptance into the union, than to have all of the productive members of society slowly bleed out of Canada into the US. Although the slow bleed of the brain drain has become a gusher lately while the US energy industry continues to grow at our expense.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                          Not much point in jumping though all the hoops at this point in time, It will be much easier to negotiate wholesale acceptance into the union, than to have all of the productive members of society slowly bleed out of Canada into the US. Although the slow bleed of the brain drain has become a gusher lately while the US energy industry continues to grow at our expense.
                          Sure hope that day is soon as I turned 50 recently. Too many things wrong with canuckistan to bother to fix and I do have an 8 year old son. What opportunities will there be for him 15 years from now.

Comment

A big portion of that income has come in the form of FMP payments and crop insurance payments which tells me that I am competing with the US treasury and that will be a loosing battle for Canadian agriculture.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.