• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck interesting comments from oz re solar

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck interesting comments from oz re solar

As you guys know I’m gonna move to solar eventually I’m not a rabid greeny but like it or lump it it’s the way forward and might cap spiralling prices or power bill with battery setup.

But nteresting article suggests issues in oz just can’t see it working for you guys as well as here different sun hours and patterns. Read on

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-01/rise-of-rooftop-solar-power-jeopardising-wa-energy-grid/11731452 https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-01/rise-of-rooftop-solar-power-jeopardising-wa-energy-grid/11731452

My biggest concern would be the claim it takes "X" years to reclaim the costs of the panels, batteries and installation. Will the panels need to be replaced before that period of time. What is the estimated life of the panels and storage batteries? Is a system basically maintenance free?

I still think we are better off on a public grid system here with a dependable source of generation(with a personal emergency back up generator in case something goes wrong with generation or distribution). Winter is a game changer here. We are at about 50° North latitude, what are you about 35° South with no real "winter" and a temperate climate?

Comment

Great story about the success and challenges of integrating large amounts of roof top solar into the grid system.

The size and uptake of solar generation is impressive in WA.

Sounds like the Government and the Utility are on the same page when it comes to fixing the challenges as soon as possible.

Once Western Australia gets this figured out they will have the expertise to offer solutions to other similar situations which has got to be worth a lot.

Batteries and designing a smart grid system seem within reach. There are several companies including one in Canada who have designed compressed air systems to use up excess capacity and return it to the grid using turbines when the sun isn't shining.

In many sunny and hot climates the peak load of air conditioning comes with the peak production of solar.

In saskatchewan we have to deal with lower production in winter. But our summer demand peaks are getting close to winter peaks.

Sask power is planning 50% renewables by 2030 with lots of wind and some solar. So they must have a plan on how to integrate renewables in.

Saskpower is planning on phasing out coal and using more flexible gas and hydro from Manitoba for base load. The goal is to reduce carbon emissions.

Comment

Thinking of getting a top shel system payback ten years.

Top shelf may I reinterate May last for 25 yrs

Wasn’t a shot at anyone just seems still need base load no matter how much renewable uptake

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...