• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sask Party and Sask Energy are ****ing Farmers Good.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
    Now I’m wondering what it’s costing the guys in Manitoba and Alberta for new or expanding their gas services, it’s getting pretty ridiculous in Saskatchewan, maybe a little competition is needed.
    That might be the point of high bids in a behind closed doors thinking....make it unaffordable so people start asking for alternatives....

When natural gas went in during the Devine era many yards chose not to have it....why not sure but they regret that decision....

Sometimes decisions shouldn't be left to those with no vision....

At the same time it shouldn't cost an arm and leg to put gas in today....although maybe the lines were sized for the customers that signed up 30 years ago...not for future development....but back then things didn't look to good...

Comment

Originally posted by Misterjade9 View Post
      That is right Macdon, you could move your bin yard and dryer and haul grain there cheaper than it would take to get gas and 3phase . Neighbor told me the other day he was quoted $500K to bring gas 2 miles, and I thought he was bullshitting me , maybe not.
      But but chuck swears up and down farmers get subsidies for real service . So what’s the real story ?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
        Someone, please explain how come it costs well over $100,000.00 for me to add a triple pipe loop around the yard thus creating a holding cavern for Sask energy.

They don't like my idea of pumping slowly gas into an existing tank then using that tank to feed the dryer. I remember guys filling natural gas half tons in Regina on Park or Vic years ago.

That was ok but we have farmers willing to switch to Natural gas their grain dryers. These same farmers will buy gas from the province adding to the profits of Sask. energy. Justin gay Trudeau can get his carbon tax. It's a win-win and no supply issues. But why would someone in gov help farmers?

Cost of a backhoe for loop and three three-inch plastic pipe and fittings maybe 15000 to 20000 but not well over $100,000.00

So yea the Saskparty and Sask energy are the problems.

Maybe the rural needs to finally fight back a little. This is ****ing ridiculous.
        I was a director on our gas coop years ago,the system was built for home heating and the lines were sized acording to possible population density,when someone wanted to add a chicken barn there was no way we could guarante a supply without shorting some home owners in a cold snap.
        As for a tank I dont think that can be done without compressing it to liquid whitch would be very expensive,so other than going all the way back to the supply line and upping operating pressure it cant be done economicaly,and if you got it everyone else would like a gas supply also,but on yrs that you dont need to dry there is a very expensive system not sell ing any gas,but costs are there anyway you look at it.

Comment

Abandoned service stations that have disappeared from town usually have 3 ph and if you are on the edge of town they'll loop you in pretty reasonably. Or pay the 100k. Ideally you are on primary weight road. Town always will have enough ng and then Saskenergy pays for the upgrades.

Comment

Guessing $200k (110 4 years ago) to get HP gas 5 miles.
            $40k to get 3 phase 400 yards.

Comment

I have gas to the yard just need the holding tank.

It nuts time for competition.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F86D024D-2950-4FE6-B3D5-2419190D921B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	769161

Comment

SF3:

Look into a biomass boiler with a hot gas generator.

Harvest your straw, and produce clean power, clean heat, and all the gas your drier would ever need.

Or just heat your dryer with steam heat instead of a gas burner.

Modular European systems are actually extremely efficient and if you're going to spend $100,000 on just a gas line, spend the $280,000 to tell the grid companies to f**** off.

Comment

Saw a huge on-farm biogas outfit in Scotland recently. Two large cattle operations teamed up to build it - uses 170 tonnes a day of feedstock (primarily manure) and pumps the gas produced directly into the supply grid. Lots of money being made over there by farmers involved in energy generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Horse View Post
                    I was a director on our gas coop years ago,the system was built for home heating and the lines were sized acording to possible population density,when someone wanted to add a chicken barn there was no way we could guarante a supply without shorting some home owners in a cold snap.
                    As for a tank I dont think that can be done without compressing it to liquid whitch would be very expensive,so other than going all the way back to the supply line and upping operating pressure it cant be done economicaly,and if you got it everyone else would like a gas supply also,but on yrs that you dont need to dry there is a very expensive system not sell ing any gas,but costs are there anyway you look at it.
                    Makes sense , but how do these loops work then ? They looped 1/2 mile on our land for a guy here here for a bigger dyer. 1/2 mile of 3” should be same as a holding tank?
                    Interesting thing here was i offered to mow crop but their contractor insisted on bringing a guy with his mower from 4 hrs away ???at ten times the price ????????

Comment

In my opinion, and feel free to prove me wrong. The high cost of public utilities in Sask., telephone, cell phone, power and natural gas are all the result of successive governments trying to appease the green lobby. The billions spent on carbon capture and storage at the coal fired generators and the ugly bird killing windmills is being recovered from our utility bills. the worst part is that trying to appease the global warming lobby will never ever be enough. Saskatchewan should never have started down that road. Cheap and reliable energy for businesses and households would have brought business and growth far faster and cheaper than any other government scheme.

Just wait till Moe's announcement of nuclear power generation to see the greenies heads explode...would almost be funny if it weren't so sad.

Comment

SaskEnergy wants 100% cost of install recovery and to start making money the day they turn your gas on.

Where can I get into a business like that where the infrastructure costs me nothing.

Comment

My request for service quotes yielded telephone estimates probably meant to scare me off. I'm asking for detailed written quotes, how the **** do they expect me to commit to a verbal telephone quote? A written quote will require a site visit.

I asked for a 10 million BTU service.

Service off the neighbor's line which is only a 3/4 inch line isn't adequate for a 10 million BTUs. Cost $60K.

They said they said they would have to start further away on a larger capacity line to give me what I want. Cost $160K.

Really?

Sadly, the rural gasification program in Sask never saw the increased demand. Even if we would have taken it, it would fall short of what today's demands are. Houses, big shops, grain driers all on the same service.

If there was an abandoned yard with a decent gas service for sale on a good grid or highway it might be better than begging SaskEnergy for an AFFORDABLE service.

Does anyone know if "TransGas" is part of SaskEnergy?

EDIT IN, had to correct to 10 million BTU. Sorry folks.
                          Last edited by farmaholic; Nov 30, 2019, 13:41.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                            My request for service quotes yielded telephone estimates probably meant to scare me off. I'm asking for detailed written quotes, how the **** do they expect me to commit to a verbal telephone quote? A written quote will require a site visit.

I asked for a million BTU service.

Service off the neighbor's line which is only a 3/4 inch line isn't adequate for a million BTUs. Cost $60K.

They said they said they would have to start further away on a larger capacity line to give me what I want. Cost $160K.

Really?

Sadly, the rural gasification program in Sask never saw the increased demand. Even if we would have taken it, it would fall short of what today's demands are. Houses, big shops, grain driers all on the same service.

If there was an abandoned yard with a decent gas service for sale on a good grid or highway it might be better than begging SaskEnergy for an AFFORDABLE service.

Does anyone know if "TransGas" is part of SaskEnergy?
                            Rural Gas Coop in Alberta that provides me costs $7500 for a million btu contract. Other Gas Coops are cheaper. But there are pipelines everywhere here, so not hard to tie in. The 3/4" gas coop pipeline here provides 6 people with million btu contracts each. Main pipe is 60-80 psi and then yard systems are 5-20 psi. Larger your yard psi, the harder it is to supply you gas. Gas Coop said it costs them $7500 to install a mile of 1" pipe.

If I wanted 10 million btu for a dryer, I would have to buy 10 contracts for a total cost of $75,000. Doesn't matter how far they have to go to bring it in.

Comment

Maybe there should be some thought put into rail siding dryer.

Comment

I have a TransGas "NPS 4" line running across some of our land with a riser and service taps coming up on my land. This line is a higher pressure line big enough to service two smaller communities
                                I asked them to tap into that site with a pressure regulator and my own line with no capacity constraints. It would be closer than any other of their options but they said that infrastructure is TransGas's not SaskEnergy's. That's why I asked if they are affiliated. Something is telling me they are.

I receive nothing in the form of compensation for inconvenience of having the line on my land or the above ground valves.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...