• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

carbon tax

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya If we QUIT, a ZERO emitter!

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
      My question is, will anyone use less fuel to put a crop in in the years to come vs the past 3 to 4 years?
      That ship sailed 20-30 years ago with rising fuel costs and the switch to min or zero tillage and direct seeding.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
        Did you try drying with solar panels? How about turning some windmills on your crop?

Maybe your damp crop can take public transit to market.

Next time someone needs a source of fuel to dry crop, should just burn grain. No carbon tax, carbon neutral and its practically free.

Wonder what the eco nuts would think if they found people heating with grain stoves.
        But what if the grain is too damp to burn?

Comment

How about the tax grab money going to greener infrastructure like HP gas line access for us industrial users?
          No?, I guess QC pensions come first.

Comment

Chuck, how do you justify the spectacular failure of this measure to obtain its intended result, at least among the farming segment of the population?

The CO2 tax was intended to change behaviors, leading to lower CO2 emissions, yet in spite of that, it seems that farmers ignored the market based solution of a CO2 tax, and actually increased their fossil fuel consumption, almost in spite of the taxes stated goal.

Do you think it is just a case of farmers requiring more indoctrination? Perhaps double the number of cut and pastes per week?

Is the CO2 tax rate just not high enough to impact farmers, who obviously have enough wealth to just pay the punitive tax so they can carry on with their lifestyle? Much like celebrities buying carbon offsets for flying? Or issuing speeding tickets with no demerit points to someone who can afford to drive a Maserati?
            Perhaps we need to increase it to $100's, if not $1000's per tonne to make an impact?

Are farmers increasing their fossil fuel usage to spite the hated Trudeau government? Cutting off their nose to spite their face?

Or could it be that this market based solution only works when there are alternatives? Perhaps it it can be quite effective to convince soccer moms to put their kids on the school bus instead of driving them 3 blocks to school in their Escalade or Kenworth or whatever the big vehicle is nowadays. But perhaps we need to revisit the consequences of applying it to industries who either have no alternatives, or are competing directly with foreign competitors who are not burdened by this tax, or cannot pass on the additional cost?

Comment

I have a tractor that may burn cleaner but it burns more which in turns means more diesel from the refinery.....for whatever reason for those so called scientists that can not use some logic...while forcing farmers to adapt to cleaner tractor....without ever doing the math on the fact that a tractor at rest does not pollute....

While I burn more fuel I get more done in fewer hours no one has done the correlated calculations on cleaner tractor burning more fuel in less time.....round and round we go ...right?

The carbon tax can not change habits on a farm..period....the crop has to be seeded , sprayed and harvested.....now will someone do the phucking math how you can reduce your carbon footprint?????

Comment

Just got latest propane fix. Price has risen 32.9% since the start of grain drying.

And no, I won't be cutting back

Comment

This is the issue many of us have brought up to the climatologist fanatics, but fell on deaf and ignorant ears.
                  Last edited by furrowtickler; Nov 29, 2019, 19:29.

Comment

Carbon tax = money grab. Plain and simple.

Comment

Lay the blame on Moe and Kenney who could have designed their price on carbon to exempt farmers from carbon taxes. They chose to let the federal government impose a program on them so they could use it for politics.

Saskatchewan and Alberta could have done what they wanted with the carbon tax revenue, rebating whatever they wanted and making it revenue neutral by lowering other taxes.

Both Alberta and Saskatchewan have or are planning carbon taxes on large industrial emitters. They believe in carbon taxes!

The $1.3 billion carbon capture system at boundary power station was paid for by taxpayers and Saskpower customers. Another carbon tax essentially.

SARM calculated the direct cost of the carbon tax is $2-$4 per acre. That is likely low for those who have to dry a lot of grain.

The Saskatchewan NDP asked the Sask Party to support a joint request to the federal government to exempt farmers from the carbon tax on propane and natural gas. But the Sask Party refused.

Again just more politics.

Comment

There is carbon tax on shipping grain. If you use a commercial carrier or a railway. Commercial carriers haul fertilizer from the plant to the retail. Farm chemical are hauled with commercial carriers to the retail. Diesel that is hauled to the cardlock is hauled by commercial carriers. All of this hauling is paying more than the $.056/litre diesel.

Comment

maybe chuck can tell us how much the carbon tax reduced our emissions during its first full year of implementation.

It just destroys GDP in another area. People will take the carbon hit and just buy less other stuff. Consumer spending will feel it. All those woke people in cities will see less mall and restarurant traffic as a result.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
                            Lay the blame on Moe and Kenney who could have designed their price on carbon to exempt farmers from carbon taxes. They chose to let the federal government impose a program on them so they could use it for politics.

Saskatchewan and Alberta could have done what they wanted with the carbon tax revenue, rebating whatever they wanted and making it revenue neutral by lowering other taxes.

Both Alberta and Saskatchewan have or are planning carbon taxes on large industrial emitters. They believe in carbon taxes!

The $1.3 billion carbon capture system at boundary power station was paid for by taxpayers and Saskpower customers. Another carbon tax essentially.

SARM calculated the direct cost of the carbon tax is $2-$4 per acre. That is likely low for those who have to dry a lot of grain.

The Saskatchewan NDP asked the Sask Party to support a joint request to the federal government to exempt farmers from the carbon tax on propane and natural gas. But the Sask Party refused.

Again just more politics.
                            When Alberta had its own carbon tax under former Premier Rachel Notley natural gas was still taxed for heating and for grain drying. So while you can suggest Moe and Kenney could design a tax exempt system for grain drying it hasn't happened in practice. Unfortunately like most politicians you evaded the above questions about how the federal carbon tax has lowered emissions?!?!

Comment

Politicians and Chuck will not answer that question because they know the answer is that it has not nor will not reduce FF consumption and hence CO2 emissions at this level. The latest study that was released this week says the carbon tax would have to be at a minimum of $210/T to effect any real change. We know here in rural ares that a high value such as that would still not reduce consumption because we have no viable or economical replacement for FF. (As much as Chucky would like you to believe there is.)

Yesterday was the weekly climate protests that the great Greta initiated over a year ago and I listened to a soundbite from a woman protesting in Saskatoon, who said, and I quote "government need to immediately enact tougher climate legislation because we have failed the earth." I am just a dumb plowboy, can someone please explain to me how I have failed the earth? First of all I have willingly adapted (at my own expense might I add) technology that has allowed me to reduce my use of chemicals and fertilizers by not over applying. I have been able through technology to grow better and healthier crops which not only benefit me but also sequesters more CO2. I have been forced when upgrading equipment to purchase clean burning Tier 4 engines which not only are more expensive but burn more fuel. I am forced to pay a tax on my dryer propane that has increased my costs for the so called betterment of the environment. Please explain how I have failed.

Comment

NOBODY has failed, there is NO EMERGENCY, NO CRISIS. The young students brainwashed scared to death by GRETA the abused need a cause, a religion because majority of society has none. Simply a CULT following for something to do. No instant solutions. And the action they demand will destroy the lifestyles they currently enjoy. Then watch them bitch and riot.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.