• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New map shows all the oil and gas spills in Sask.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess you have lost and given up?

Comment

you sound like a ****ing two year old , FFS

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
        I tidied up my grammar so you can all relax now! I know it was bothering you a lot.
        That obviously wasn't a grammar mistake, it was you being over zealous in your campaign to smear everyone who dares take an objective view point. When no one bit on a post with no commentary, and no context, you couldn't wait to throw the response out there, and likely hadn't read the response anyways, as is usual for you.

You did however make a Freudian slip when you mention sticking your head in the sand and the problem will go away. Much to the consternation of green zealots, nature has the tools to remediate hydrocarbon spills, as it has been successfully doing for natural seeps for millions of years. Which is not a justification.

Perhaps if you had included some commentary, and put the spills into context it would have helped. How many of those spills are larger than a barrel of oil ( first point I looked at was 100l)? How many are a skid steer blowing a hose on a site? How many are within containments, so pose absolutely no risk? How many were 100% recovered( one random incident I looked at was more than 100% recovered)? What other industry has to report and track such things, and does such an ethical job of reporting?

As for context, the CBC article where you found this states that 59 million litres was leaked over 18 years. Total oil production in Sask over that same period was almost 400 billion litres. I'll let you do the math on that one. And how does that compare to spills from any other industry, such as sewage as mentioned above? And judging by all the examples I looked at, almost 100% of that was recovered. Although that didn't stop the Journalism professor who oversaw the map creation from putting an obvious bias into the commentary attached to the map.

Without commentary, readers could have easily assumed that you were pointing out how responsible the energy industry is in collecting and publicizing this info, compared to almost any other industry. How many spills have your fellow farmers had to report and remediate?

Comment

I am not surprised you down play the environmental consequences of fossil energy sources. It is your MO on climate change.

So whats the plan for abandoned, orphaned and suspended wells?

Is the oil industry going to pay for the cost of cleaning them up or are taxpayers going to subsidize the oil industry again?

There are billions of dollars of liability sitting there on what was once good agricultural land. Whats the plan?

Fortunately regulators have tightened up on the oil industry when it come to leaks and spills. But they still have a long way to go.

Sometimes it seems as if the oil premiers are acting only on behalf of the oil industry and not landowners and the public.

Comment

Stop worrying about what we do out west. Its not your problem. And its farmers who make that deal with oil companies. Since you are not one, it doesnt concern you.

Comment

Nice try Einstein!

I have oil leases and pipelines on my farm land. I deal with the oil industry 365 days a year!

So what's your experience?
              Last edited by chuckChuck; Nov 17, 2019, 11:28.

Comment

Opinion | Saskatchewan needs to get serious about abandoned oil and gas wells

Saskatchewan has tens of thousands of inactive oil and gas wells
                https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/opinion-sask-abandoned-oil-wells-1.5104173 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/opinion-sask-abandoned-oil-wells-1.5104173

"A report last year by provincial auditor Judy Ferguson noted that the number of inactive oil and gas wells in Saskatchewan had ballooned by 90 per cent between 2005 and 2017. The Ministry of Energy and Resources (MER) pegged the future cost of abandonment (capping) and reclamation at $4 billion.

Even though the ministry points to several programs it says will ensure the energy industry picks up the tab — annual levies on the industry toward an Oil and Gas Orphan Fund and the government's Licensee Liability Rating (LLR) program, which requires a security deposit from higher-risk licensees — there's little reason for confidence.

Saskatchewan currently has more than 30,000 inactive oil and gas wells scattered around the province — MER provided a figure of 35,868 wells that includes oil and gas, water source, storage cavern and potash production — as well as 31,057 abandoned and 609 orphan sites requiring work.

Of the orphan sites — wells whose owners are unknown, insolvent, or no longer operating the province — 240 need to be capped and have the sites remediated to a pre-drilling standard. The other 369 orphan wells have been abandoned and the site remediated, but need more growing seasons to ensure that the reclamation was successful.

Saskatchewan faces a looming problem involving the oil and gas industry that has been its bread and butter for decades.

Based on former premier Brad Wall's 2016 request to the federal government for $156 million to clean up 1,000 wells, the capping and restoration of these orphan wells could cost as much as $37 million.

According to the orphan fund's 2017-18 annual report, it had about $11 million as of March 31, 2018. The LLR program also held $104 million in security deposits paid by operators whose asset value falls below their cleanup liability.

In addressing the long-term cleanup cost projection of $4 billion, MER estimates the current value of oil and gas wells and facilities in Saskatchewan at $14.5 billion."

Comment

As for orphaned and abandoned wells, A good start would be if you would quit driving capital out of the industry, companies can remain in the country and profitable and clean up their own house.
                  https://www.jwnenergy.com/article/2019/8/drilling-underway-10mm-alberta-geothermal-project/ https://www.jwnenergy.com/article/2019/8/drilling-underway-10mm-alberta-geothermal-project/
                  Could also convert them to Closed loop geothermal. As is being done as a trial right next-door to me right now.

And no, I wasn't down playing, I specifically noted that It doesn't justify it. I was asking you to provide context for us. It was your link and you started the conversation, I assume you must have some opinion on the matter , And have done your research

So how does that compare to other industries, other jurisdictions? How many go unreported compared to other areas ? What is the minimum that requires reporting compared to other jurisdictions.

Is Saskatchewan's track record good or bad? Looking at a graphic with lots of dots doesn't give me any context.

Comment

Nice try Einstein!

I have oil leases and pipelines on my farm land. I deal with the oil industry 365 days a year!

Buddy in about 6 months time, 15% of Western Canadas entire daily oil production will transit my property. I wish they would put pipelines on every square inch of it.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                      As for orphaned and abandoned wells, A good start would be if you would quit driving capital out of the industry, companies can remain in the country and profitable and clean up their own house.
                      https://www.jwnenergy.com/article/2019/8/drilling-underway-10mm-alberta-geothermal-project/ https://www.jwnenergy.com/article/2019/8/drilling-underway-10mm-alberta-geothermal-project/
                      Could also convert them to Closed loop geothermal. As is being done as a trial right next-door to me right now.

And no, I wasn't down playing, I specifically noted that It doesn't justify it. I was asking you to provide context for us. It was your link and you started the conversation, I assume you must have some opinion on the matter , And have done your research

So how does that compare to other industries, other jurisdictions? How many go unreported compared to other areas ? What is the minimum that requires reporting compared to other jurisdictions.

Is Saskatchewan's track record good or bad? Looking at a graphic with lots of dots doesn't give me any context.
                      The economic health of the oil industry leaves me more concerned. But a lot of the capital leaving is because of a general downturn which started while Harper was in power. There are big questions about the long term economics and sustainability of the tar sands with or without a Liberal Prime Minister. as you know Harper signed a G7 agreement that Canada would stop using fossil energy sources by the year 2100. So what's the plan between now and then to reduce fossil energy sources and clean up the mess left behind?

Increasing pipeline capacity will help, but it wont solve the problems of world supply and demand and a downturn in commodity markets. Oil has boomed and busted several times in my lifetime. The oil industry has always fought against regulations that would cut into profits even during the good times. they have at times run roughshod over landowners. They are getting better but not all of them are good corporate citizens.

The map of spills doesn't tell the whole story but it does show that leaks are common and not well reported in the media or widely known.

Lets compare the US with Canada on one issue:
                      From https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/opinion-sask-abandoned-oil-wells-1.5104173 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/opinion-sask-abandoned-oil-wells-1.5104173

"At the bottom of it all is the weak regulatory approach taken by western provinces that place no restrictions at all on how long companies are allowed to let oil and gas wells remain inactive.

While American states such as Texas and North Dakota have stringent rules that require operators to either restart inactive wells within 12 months or cap and reclaim the sites, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia have only progressed so far as talking about developing such requirements."

Inactive wells are frequently left untouched for years in Saskatchewan rather than cap and reclaim because it is cheaper to pay the lease than it is to spend the money to reclaim.

What happens if the company goes bankrupt or sells the lease to a fly by night company that disappears?

We are behind Texas and ND on this issue.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                        Buddy in about 6 months time, 15% of Western Canadas entire daily oil production will transit my property. I wish they would put pipelines on every square inch of it.
                        Good for you. Line 3 I assume?

Don't plan on any tiling or deep ripping nearby or excavations or farm development of any kind near the right of way or easement.

And there are restrictions on heavy equipment driving over the line.

So your bulldoze or backhoe if you have one and maybe your semi and grain cart will have to stay off the line. If you cause a problem because of your normal farm activities you may need a lawyer.

Wet years and soft saturated ground are especially a risk.

I hope you got paid well for your damaged land and life time of responsibility and liability!

Did you read the fine print?

Comment

Nice try Einstein!

Next time any of us are doubting our career choices, think of this post, and remember, it could always be worse. Somewhere near Pelly Saskatchewan, some unfortunate land man, or operator, has to deal with Chuck complaining about seeing CO2 leaks 365 days a year.

And from a previous thread, he reports having trouble with lots of oil spill, pipeline leaks, H2S leaks, and workers dying on his sites. Imagine having to put up with him all the time. With all the troubles he is having, I checked the map and expected to see a large conglomeration of spills near his home town, but surprisingly there doesn't seem to be. Did you ever take my advice and report all the dead workers yet?

Comment

I do believe the law says any more than a two litre spill must be reported.
                            So how many car accidents have a ruptured oil pan or fuel tank.

Comment

A5 You showed some concern about the issues I raised with reasonable questions and then went off the deep end with lots of nonsense again. You are like Jekyll and Hyde, we are never sure who is going to show up! LOL

Was it because I raised an issue of how in comparison to the several US states our regulations are weaker and you didn't have anything intelligent to say, so you had to resort to personal attacks again?

"While American states such as Texas and North Dakota have stringent rules that require operators to either restart inactive wells within 12 months or cap and reclaim the sites, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia have only progressed so far as talking about developing such requirements."
                              Last edited by chuckChuck; Nov 18, 2019, 09:55.

Comment

Back to being serious then Chuck. And thank you for making a couple of civil rational responses to myself and Jazz yesterday, that was a pleasant change.

So since we have concluded that due to stringent reporting requirements, and high compliance rate, Saskatchewan oil has too large an environmental footprint, and we need to find other cleaner sources with better environmental track records.

So have you done the research yet, which country or state has less reported spills by volume or number of incidents? What are the statistics for North Dakota, or Nigeria, or Pennsylvania, or Saudi Arabia, perhaps Venezuala, Iraq, Libya? Please let us know so we can make the environmentally responsible choice.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...