• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firing up the Jet. The weather isn't going to change.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firing up the Jet. The weather isn't going to change.

The weather all week was looking promising starting on Thursday and then picking up the heat till max on Sunday then clear for a week as the polar vortex was supposed to move out.

Well by yesterdays ice fog all day and below zero temps and today's wind from the NW with rain turning to snow, I think they hit that forecast guess wrong.

So We started to clean up trucks now and put shit away. Sooner or later you need to come to realization that the fat lady is belting out the tunes and its Spring 2020 for you.

East central will not get the Calgary chinooks in November unless it is a fricking miracle. Also, a wetter month is November as we transition from fall to winter.

In our area, nothing has moved for three weeks today. Cold miserable snowy weather.

So most yesterday phoned SCIC and put their claim in for unharvested crop and yield to date.

I love after you tell them what crop (1/3) is out and what yield you have they say Sorry your way overproduction and are in no claim position. Even with grain adjustment for a grade.

But wildlife is still covered. Hope the elk and geese and Ducks and Bears and Deer do a good job. Not wild horses, they aren't covered but they have disappeared this year.

You still have to have them out in spring even if you burn the crop.

What this shows me is that in a total disaster you have a base coverage with hail insurance but that is all. Ag Stab is a joke so really not interested.

So it's going to be a very long winter for a lot of farmers.

It also shows most of us in our area the reality of the flood years. How lost acreage that was covered by flood at the beginning was dropped. Then these flats as it rained were classed as unworkable and no assistance. Till most were down to 100 acres a quarter. How we managed i still can't figure it out. Then it finally stops raining you get your acreage back. Seeding wall to wall and growing grain like you use to. Then Mother Nature throws a wrench into the best plans again.

Using margins doesn't work because when you seed 160 acres and then harvest 100 thanks to rain or snow or whatever. You spent as if you had 160 acres and only got a crop on 100. Don't have to be a genius to realize your margins aren't good. Any insurance you would be hit with such a high premium it would not be practical.

Yes, maybe tile would work. should have bought the machine at the sale last week. But with snow its, a no go.

So 2020 is going to be an interesting year with two harvests. Spring and fall, Will feel like south America. Seeding after the combines.

Continuing to try to put snow and ice and plug shit up and it just does more damage.

So the crop reports will be done for this year as were waving the white flag.

Later Boys.

Click image for larger version

Name:	60AB58BB-C581-40A9-A42A-2F4650BEEA51.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	769118

Please fill out

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
      The weather all week was looking promising starting on Thursday and then picking up the heat till max on Sunday then clear for a week as the polar vortex was supposed to move out.

Well by yesterdays ice fog all day and below zero temps and today's wind from the NW with rain turning to snow, I think they hit that forecast guess wrong.

So We started to clean up trucks now and put shit away. Sooner or later you need to come to realization that the fat lady is belting out the tunes and its Spring 2020 for you.

East central will not get the Calgary chinooks in November unless it is a fricking miracle. Also, a wetter month is November as we transition from fall to winter.

In our area, nothing has moved for three weeks today. Cold miserable snowy weather.

So most yesterday phoned SCIC and put their claim in for unharvested crop and yield to date.

I love after you tell them what crop (1/3) is out and what yield you have they say Sorry your way overproduction and are in no claim position. Even with grain adjustment for a grade.

But wildlife is still covered. Hope the elk and geese and Ducks and Bears and Deer do a good job. Not wild horses, they aren't covered but they have disappeared this year.

You still have to have them out in spring even if you burn the crop.

What this shows me is that in a total disaster you have a base coverage with hail insurance but that is all. Ag Stab is a joke so really not interested.

So it's going to be a very long winter for a lot of farmers.

It also shows most of us in our area the reality of the flood years. How lost acreage that was covered by flood at the beginning was dropped. Then these flats as it rained were classed as unworkable and no assistance. Till most were down to 100 acres a quarter. How we managed i still can't figure it out. Then it finally stops raining you get your acreage back. Seeding wall to wall and growing grain like you use to. Then Mother Nature throws a wrench into the best plans again.

Using margins doesn't work because when you seed 160 acres and then harvest 100 thanks to rain or snow or whatever. You spent as if you had 160 acres and only got a crop on 100. Don't have to be a genius to realize your margins aren't good. Any insurance you would be hit with such a high premium it would not be practical.

Yes, maybe tile would work. should have bought the machine at the sale last week. But with snow its, a no go.

So 2020 is going to be an interesting year with two harvests. Spring and fall, Will feel like south America. Seeding after the combines.

Continuing to try to put snow and ice and plug shit up and it just does more damage.

So the crop reports will be done for this year as were waving the white flag.

Later Boys.
      Glad you didn't bid on the tile machine. We towed it home from Edgely yesterday.

Comment

Enjoy the winter.

Comment

Snowing here this morning..... Saturday November 16 ...

Little rain too....just for good measure....keeps the straw wet so the snow sticks real good....

Comment

This is why I’m not having any more hope for harvest 2019

Comment

Yup snowing here in Melville , well kinda lol
              On our way back to the Fort to watch volleyball provincials.
              A bit more snow here than back home .

Comment

Roads are dangerous in places take care if travelling...

Comment

Furrow we’re along the highway north and north of terminal.

Comment

Highs from -1 to +6 here for the next ten days. Maybe we can get this snow melted and have one last crack at combining? Will try send it east once we are done with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                      Glad you didn't bid on the tile machine. We towed it home from Edgely yesterday.
                      Did you see the Ghetto? Most people are afraid to enter it and just avoid it and it's crack-pot résidents.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                        Did you see the Ghetto? Most people are afraid to enter it and just avoid it and it's crack-pot résidents.
                        I saw some ghettos. Mostly where there used to be a thriving oil patch. Boarded up restaurants in Redvers, and empty shops for lease in Carlyle. Wow. Trudeau really put a chill on communities in that part of SK. Would I have driven through your slum Farma? There were a couple spots we did speed up. I swear one town had the music from "Deliverance" playing instead of Christmas music.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                          I saw some ghettos. Mostly where there used to be a thriving oil patch. Boarded up restaurants in Redvers, and empty shops for lease in Carlyle. Wow. Trudeau really put a chill on communities in that part of SK. Would I have driven through your slum Farma? There were a couple spots we did speed up. I swear one town had the music from "Deliverance" playing instead of Christmas music.
                          More likely Volbeat, loud enough to make the rocks roll.

Comment

Boys got there bucks today and I’m on my way. Deer hunting 2019 is done.

Comment

That Darn polar vortex is all the way south. Fricking Canada and its cold air.

Oh, today they are promising sunny next Friday Sat and Sunday plus 4. Ah been here before cant sees it happening.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.