• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“You People” .....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same old shit from a basement dweller. He must have no grain to dry or grain to haul. Maybe he’s not done cause he’s to busy cutting and pasting every sad story. Everyone has stories like that no matter what race or where u come from. I can recall playing sports and being degraded for being a poor rural kid and u didn’t see me lay down and cry or give up on life. Everyone has to find their way in life and find a path threw adversity. Generally it makes u stronger and makes u remember things like that that light a fire under your ass to push u harder. We are in such a sucky woe is me society that we expect a life. Shut up and go earn it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
      https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/don-cherry_ca_5dcc6707e4b0a794d1f9ea08?utm_hp_ref=ca-homepage

Hockey Never Wanted 'You People' Like Us. Don Cherry Was A Constant Reminder.
      Before being fired after 38 years, how many people did Cherry turn off the sport with his ignorance?

By Darren Andrade, Special To HuffPost

I remember a dimly lit rink with wood panelling, old wooden flip seats in the stands, and the smell of sweat and cigarette smoke hanging in the air. It was the early ’80s, and it was that night in the arena that I first felt the sting of the word “******.”

It was directed at my oldest brother who was a late-starting, first-year hockey player low on skill, but big in size. He couldn’t do much more than throw his weight around, which seemed to bring out the racial slurs from the opposing players with the quickness. On other nights, it was parents hollering the same names from the bleachers. On one occasion after a game, a few of them surrounded my brother in the tunnel leading to the dressing rooms before his coaches intervened.

My parents, who had immigrated from Jamaica 13 years earlier, had never seen anything like it. Not the names being hurled from spectators in the stands and spit across the ice by some of their children, and certainly not the violent retribution being encouraged against “that kid.” The mothers and fathers screaming for their kids to hit my brother with sticks and cut him with blades was the last straw for my parents. They made my brother’s first season his last.

My middle brother and I were never introduced to the game after that. At home, we didn’t sit around to watch hockey as a family like we did with the Toronto Blue Jays and later the Toronto Raptors.

My parents did what many immigrants did and turned their backs on the puck. Hockey became the bottom rung on our sports ladder, and for a long time whenever it played on our television — which wasn’t often — my brother’s lone season was the first thing we thought of. It was a thing.

So, when Don Cherry began his run as the face of Canadian hockey on television and VHS videos in the ’80s and ’90s, it was not a welcome sight in our home. He relentlessly served as a reminder of the prejudice and closed-door attitude that hockey had greeted us with. Cherry quickly became the face of our disdain.

Cherry’s whole act — from his bullish delivery to the talking designer suits — was meant to be in your face. He became so synonymous with hockey in Canada that if he offended you, hockey offended you. It was a cringeworthy embrace that excluded many from outside the culture, and bothered too few from within. You felt it when he talked about a hit or a goal just as you did when he insulted and offended.

Cherry’s recent “you people” rant wasn’t out of the ordinary or surprising, but the swift reaction and his eventual firing was — even in today’s “cancel culture” climate. So little had been said and so much swept away for so long that there wasn’t a minority in Canada who believed anything would come of it, but social media reality hit the old-schooler hard.

A new voice for “you people” emerged with countless virtual witnesses spread across dozens of platforms that professional sports leagues don’t ignore. And while the axe dropped quickly, it took that voice a long time to find a way to be heard through the dark forest of hockey elitism and up a Mount Olympus of disconnect. A voice that finally did what the voices in Cherry’s earpiece over 38 years of broadcasting had failed to do.

Cherry was a man who talked like a guardian of the game, but kept it stuck in places it should have long freed itself from. Places like the rinks my brother was taunted in all those years ago. The power that comes to a sports league that accomplishes the task of inspiring the youth and uniting communities is immeasurable. Sports can do that. Hockey did not do that when Don Cherry represented it.

How often had he stopped hockey and the NHL from progressing? By having him stand at the gate for 38 years, how many people did he turn away with his ignorance? How many didn’t approach at the sight of him and his divisiveness? People like us? The “you people?”

Cherry’s gift was that you felt it when he spoke. You felt it when he talked about a hit or a goal, just as you did when he insulted and offended. One was just as animated as the other. We felt it when he disparaged foreign players and their people, his own countrymen, women and “you people” behind the shield of the CBC, then Sportsnet.

My oldest brother’s hockey life lasted one season, and not because he lacked skill or drive or the potential to be great. It was because he was different and feared, and that fear manifested itself into an ugliness all-too-present in hockey. How many others have exited in the same way, fighting while being pushed out the back door of an unwelcoming culture? How many, if given the same respect as their white colleagues, would have gone on the contribute to the game in a way that “you people” have in the other big pro leagues? How much more diminished is the game now because of those absences, those early exits? How much less evolved? How much less appealing?

My brothers and I went on to play other sports. We all made our mark in baseball early. The oldest stuck with it while the middle one played rep soccer and lettered in rugby. I fell for basketball and started for my varsity teams through high school. We were good. We enjoyed the games, and much of our love for them was transferred to our own kids. Our sporting traditions were built first as a detour around hockey and the roadblocks people like Cherry put up. Now, we’re long past the sport.

Still, when Don Cherry was fired, I did think of my brother the hockey player, but they were unexpected thoughts. After years of recalling how disappointing a time that was, I thought instead about how hard it must be for the other side to understand the impact of that experience on a sports family — on parents in a new land and kids who just want to play. How it cut many of us “you people” so deeply, and how Cherry was a constant reminder of the wound.

These painful cuts made all over this great country for far too long on ice rinks, in dressing rooms and through televisions can finally begin to close.
      Dont you ever have a thought of your own ?
      Dont you ever work ? , or is this your work ?
      When do you have time to dig all this drivel up ?

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        Dont you ever have a thought of your own ?
        Dont you ever work ? , or is this your work ?
        When do you have time to dig all this drivel up ?
        Chuck is not a farmer. At least not a grain farmer and he is not located in western Canada. I can tell by his activity online.

Preachy lefty hypocrite troll somewhere down east with nothing better to do. I know of no real farmer that wants the patch shut down.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
          chuck is a prof at the university !

he's no Farmer !
          Social media allows people that don't have the guts to fight in public and attach their name to what they believe in, to soldier on namelessly in private. The only conviction they have is to remain in fear of their real names. They hide in fear of retribution. They hide because outing themselves will cost them something; freedom, freedom to express their views, capital they make on the backs of the people they ridicule, or perhaps all three.

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
            Social media allows people that don't have the guts to fight in public and attach their name to what they believe in, to soldier on namelessly in private. The only conviction they have is to remain in fear of their real names. They hide in fear of retribution. They hide because outing themselves will cost them something; freedom, freedom to express their views, capital they make on the backs of the people they ridicule, or perhaps all three.
            Is there never a case where your only defense IS anonymity?

Retribution... for people pointing out and making factual statements.

Comment

Don’t engage the basement troll. Then it isn’t really there. It adds nothing of any sense, just discontent. Just don’t let it trigger you into responding to it.

Comment

Be happy people are fighting it out anonymously on the internet. The alternative is much worse.

The internet has also given a forum for people with radical nonsense views like chuck. He wouldn't dare spout his propaganda nonsense in a mall or coffee shop.

Comment

BUT but if you are CBC or employed there, you "spout propaganda nonsense" 24 hours daily, and get paid by Liberals. MSM biggest evil ever happened to the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
                    Exactly larry
                    I have contacted many on here
                    Have lots of good chats/texts/emails with people on the same team
                    Probably made some new friends with persons with similar interests
                    Couldnt give a shit who knows who i am ?
                    Nothing i have said on here i wouldnt say to someones face
                    Anyone that needs to know who i am can simply PM me with their name and i will do the same

Comment

Its always a mistake to make generalizations about a group of people. Jess Allen made that mistake along with many posters on Agriville and other social media.

She apologized and Cherry refused to. The difference is she is a privileged white woman who is taking on privileged white hockey culture.

Cherry a privileged white celebrity, accused immigrants, minorities and people of colour, (most of which are not privileged), of not supporting our veterans and our troops because he thinks they don't wear poppies. The truth is they do wear poppies in many cases and do support and appreciate our veterans.

There are lots of immigrants and minorities in the armed forces and veterans. Many Canadian minorities came from countries that were and are our allies and died fighting with us. But Cherry never seems to acknowledge them.

In fact he has in the past said bigoted things about the french, the swedes and the europeans. He also said nasty things about enforcers who were concerned about the impact fighting was having on their health. Its a pattern of abusive language. Its the language of a bully and a bigot.

If you are first nation, a person of colour or an immigrant do you really want your kids in a sport that accepts the language and the bigoted views of Don Cherry?

Privileged white folks can't understand that because they have never experienced how hurtful racism is.

Comment

Do you guys get out much? It seems like many of you live in a bubble of like minded thinking.

Do you not realize there is a range of views amongst the farm community on many issues?

Why do you think everybody should have the same view? You have to be pretty thick in the head if you think everyone is going to agree with you! LOL

Its very funny to watch some of you get twisted in a knot with very little to say about the issue or thread.

Lots of speculating and insulting with no substance. That is often the sign of someone who can't make their case or don't have a good argument to defend.

If you want to put your views out there with your names attached go right a ahead. There are numerous way to do it.

A seed grower once told me he lost a lot of business during the time he was a Reeve of the RM. Anytime you put your views out in public you can be sure someones not going to like them.
                        Last edited by chuckChuck; Nov 15, 2019, 15:42.

Comment

Privileged white folks can't understand that because they have never experienced how hurtful racism is.[/QUOTE]

I do not think I am privileged. I work 10-16 hour days 6-7 days a week. Do I have more than the average person? Probably, but see above the 10-16 hour work day. Nothing was given to me that I didn’t earn. As I am sure pertains to most people posting on here.

But to say that a white person doesn’t experience racism is out of this world. If I had a penny for every time I have been called whitey or pale face I would be rich. The difference is how it is reacted to. I guess the squeaky wheel really does get the grease.

To top this off I am of Ukrainian decent. Do you know any Ukrainian jokes? Is that not racism? Do you hear any Ukrainians ever get up on a soap box about how they have been wronged or how a joke hurt them? Now switch Ukrainian with black, yellow, red, brown, whatever and try tell that same joke. What kind of backlash would you get?

I think this is a case of people just needing to lighten up. I wasn’t living when your great grandfather got his ear pulled in school. And neither were you.

Comment

Oh and every reserve around here has a hockey team so that doesn’t fly with me. They know how to play hockey, and give as much as they take with the slurs and such. It isn’t just the “white folk” as you allude to doing the giving.

Comment

If any person needs to lighten up it was Don Cherry. He was the one who was over the top with his views about "you people" and poppies.

Comment

Saying stupid bigoted racists things by anybody about any group, race, religion is not accepted anymore.

Yes and some of those who are the victims are also perpetrators.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.