• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A day of Reflection and Remembrance.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread was about remembrance. Please honour that. Everyone leave other comments in other threads.

My maternal grandfather was wounded in the hand at Vimy. He drove an ambulance after as he couldn't carry his rifle. He was also a victim of a gas attack there which plagued him the rest of his life.

My wife's uncle was killed in action in Germany in the last days of WW2. He had been part of the liberation of Holland.

Keep to the title topic here. Give us stories of remembrance, honour and valour.

Comment

Forget Cherry, he has had his day in the sun. Today we are thankful for young brave soldiers and smart commanders. Our father flew many missions in the dead of night unable to turn on any light, over Burma and India. A farm kid night- bombing, teaching navigation, getting his crew shot out a few times. We learned from him a love for Punjabs who guarded him and his crew so the bombers could catch a bit of rest, and fed them what little they had usually rice with curry paste. If not for the Punjabs, dingos would eat the tires off their planes. Today I see many East Indians and have respect for the people they come from. Our bomber is gone but his wife, a war wren is in a nursing home. She wll get her favourite hermit cookies and creamed tea and we will be with her at the 11 th hour to hear her remembrances. Happy Remembrance Day- wear your poppies proudly because many Canadians saved many lives.

Comment

Ya, I have a neighbor on permanent disability after his 22+ years in the Navy.
        Today we are supposed to pay respect to those standing post. Or have stood on the wall. None seem to come home completely.

Comment

Just finished watching CBC Remembrance Day broadcast from the National War Memorial. So proud of all Canadian Veterans and Troops in attendance. I couldn't never thank them enough.

We must all be grateful for these Hero's of this great country, Canada!

Comment

Never saw one farmer in our coffee shop with a poppy on either including myself. Just seem to wear one on my better coats. Better correct that before don sees me and says same about us.

Comment

This is how I really feel.

But yes my one uncle was shot I don’t know how many times in the last few days. He lost one thumb but the man was always their for you. He knew what he did was good.

Comment

Saskfarmer, Another pathetic partisan distortion of the truth to defend Cherry and your bigoted divisive views? LOL

How do you think Canadian veterans from asia, africa, latin america would feel about about Cherry's attack on immigrants? Do all those immigrants vote Liberal?

You don't have a clue do you? Keep spouting hyper partisan nonsense.
                Last edited by chuckChuck; Nov 11, 2019, 11:59.

Comment

Our old neighbour fought in France and it was raining real bad one night and they slept under a couple of tanks to try and stay out of it. The ground became so soft that one tank sunk in the night and he and the other soldiers tried digging their pinned comrades out but were unable to. He never slept while it was raining out for the rest of his life.

RIP Albert

Comment

Thanks to all who served. My mother went to Thunder Bay to a munitions factory and Toronto for the same. Grandfather was wounded at Ypres and when recovered spent the rest of the war in a plane. He lost three brothers in that war and a fourth died in 1921 or 22 while serving as a Sargent building a rail road in Kashmir area along the Pakistan India border. He had fought in the Boer War, and WW 1. I have visited the little town these boys grew up in and saw the effort locals put into the 100 year armistice remembrance and I have seen their names on the cenotaph there.

Comment

True story my dad was a rear gunner radio operator.

Lied about his age to get in was about 3 weeks short.

Had only 30% vision in one eye perfect in other memorised eye chart at medical again so he could get in.

After I believe 18 months of training in aust Halifax Canada and think Sussex in uk was shot down on first mission spent rest of wa as POW.

History suggests they had a one in three chance of getting shot down, the plane he was in was worse a fifty fifty chance.

Comment

I watched the CTV broadcast from the National War Memorial in rememberance of my father and also for all the other veterans. He was in the RCAF for 5 1/2,enlisting in 1940 and being stationed mainly at Gander, Newfoundland. He wanted to be a pilot but his eye sight was not good enough. The qualifications were drastically reduced near the end of the war and were taking every one as they needed pilots. He worked as a mechanic on the air base. I remember him saying that their biggest worry was sabotage. After the war he came back and started farming. He obtained farm land which was offered to all the veterans that wanted to farm. I am still at the same location.

Comment

I support G****s, his message to buy a poppy. He’s obviously upset about it. He tells new Canadians to be aware and support our vets. The “ you people” is aimed at those not buying a poppy. I also believe free speech is a right. His words to new Canadians reflect what many of us feel. It’s not a secret, people who come to Canada should understand what we feel. In our family 6 brothers served. My father signed a release so his 17 year old son could join the RCAF. My wife’s family 4 brothers joined the RCAF, two were killed. The oldest, a sergeant, can be seen very briefly, talking to James Cagney, in the movie “Captains of the Clouds” before he was shot down over the English Channel near Denmark and killed. Buried in Denmark. Left a wife, son and daughter.
                          It’s a deep feeling.
                          If they aren’t honoured we feel it deeply. As does Don Cherry.
                          Threre are obviously many stories.

Comment

My family fought on the eastern front, great uncle is buried in Budapest mass grave number 4, never got a grave or headstone. Never forget.

Comment

2010 documentary, "Storming Juno" well done, heart wrenching, emotional, educational for all, especially youth and NEW Canadians.

Comment

Again from my barbarossa point of view the Russian movie come and see with english subtitles is what my family faced. Heart wrenching. anyone tech challenged I will send you a copy.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.