• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will mice drink antifreeze

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will mice drink antifreeze

I have snap traps, live traps, and bait stations scattered around the place. Just wondering about a saucer of antifreeze inside each piece of equipment as a last line of defense. Will mice drink it?
    Definately won't have it outside where a cat or pet could get to it but just inside the cab or in closed equipment sheds.

Thanks

Our mice don't drink it.lol..

Comment

Don’t seem to here either. I gave up on them. Have a trapline set around the walls of the sheds and under and around critical equipment. Check and empty them daily (snap traps).

Comment

Originally posted by Ronski View Post
        I have snap traps, live traps, and bait stations scattered around the place. Just wondering about a saucer of antifreeze inside each piece of equipment as a last line of defense. Will mice drink it?
        Definately won't have it outside where a cat or pet could get to it but just inside the cab or in closed equipment sheds.

Thanks
        3 gallon pail, 3" green antifeeze, a chunck of saskpower marking flag heated up on one end poked through the pail near handle pivot, then through centre of a plastic pop bottle, a smear of penut butter on bottle. Works great dead mice do not stink up the vehicle. Rv antifeeze ends up freezing, but 28-0-0 also works well. An ice fishing ice scooper works well for emptying the pails. Put ramps to pail perpendicular to the bottle to force mice to jump and bottle a few inches lower than rim.
        Last edited by biglentil; Nov 10, 2019, 17:09.

Comment

We use peanut butter and snap traps.
          Works better than 20 liter pail with wheat in it..

Comment

5 gallon pail with an inch of treated canola seed at the bottom. Best bait station and mouse poison out there.

Comment

We find concentrated peppermint oil keeps them away,those traps with yellow fake cheese gets them good too
              Are the mice ever thick this year !
              I wondered if antifreeze up high would kill those rats with wings(pigeons)??
              Last edited by caseih; Nov 10, 2019, 17:47.

Comment

Originally posted by biglentil View Post
                3 gallon pail, 3" green antifeeze, a chunck of saskpower marking flag heated up on one end poked through the pail near handle pivot, then through centre of a plastic pop bottle, a smear of penut butter on bottle. Works great dead mice do not stink up the vehicle. Rv antifeeze ends up freezing, but 28-0-0 also works well. An ice fishing ice scooper works well for emptying the pails. Put ramps to pail perpendicular to the bottle to force mice to jump and bottle a few inches lower than rim.
                The plastic pail with the rod and pop can works good but had that set up in my shed and the first time I checked it I had 3 weasels in the antifreeze. Won’t use it now.
                Last edited by seldomseen; Nov 10, 2019, 18:37.

Comment

Have the 20L pails and pop bottles, smear some peanut butter...always mice in them. Cats lick the peanut butter unfortunately, sometimes knock over pails to get mice. Real cats we have now are excellent mousers too.Tin Cats work great, seems just curiosity gets them to enter, quit baiting Tin Cats but dead mouse smell must help. Snap traps in trucks just in case one gets in. Never use bait, too many DIED in trucks over the years, THEN IT STINKS!
                  Most antifreeze has a BITTER additive, so no animals will drink it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Moment.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	769111

Lean mean killing machine
                    Feed them cat food or liver.
                    Last edited by 6V53; Nov 10, 2019, 19:47.

Comment

Originally posted by 6V53 View Post
                      I agree they're the best but how do you get one to move in?

Comment

Originally posted by bobofthenorth View Post
                        I agree they're the best but how do you get one to move in?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Moment2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	769112

if you see tracks in the snow put some food out they'll find it. The small ones tame down well.The big ones are kind of skiddish and the small one will take off when the big one shows up. Don't put out too much food they stash it.

Comment

Originally posted by 6V53 View Post
                          [ATTACH]5235[/ATTACH]

My first house was a trailer which had a mouse problem. Mice would come up through where the washing machine hookups were. I was awoke in the wee hours of the morning one night to come across a curious looking weasel with blood on his face in the kitchen. I said hi and went back to bed.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                            My first house was a trailer which had a mouse problem. Mice would come up through where the washing machine hookups were. I was awoke in the wee hours of the morning one night to come across a curious looking weasel with blood on his face in the kitchen. I said hi and went back to bed.
                            Weren't you concerned about the safety and well being of the resident "trouser snake"?

Comment

If you can get a handle on controlling them in fall, winter shouldn't be much of a problem.
                              Seems the critters are migrating around looking for wintering grounds in fall and looking to move away from crowded quarters in spring. We use lots of bait boxes. We see some dead ones. We keep the machinery clean. I jokingly say a mouse would starve to death on our combine over winter. The farm yard is pretty clean and uncluttered too. Feeding cattle grain was always a draw for mice....I used to call our chop bin a mouse factory....or course it was an old wooden bin. There are no more wooden bins on this farm. Seed plants would be hard to keep free of mice. There are no cats here either, seemed they were only welfare cats anyway....and it's not easy keeping cats when you like having a Blue Heeler dog.

There are definitely mice around here because there is evidence of them but generally don't have a problem with them getting into machinery. Bound to happen sometime.

I would rather be dealing with the "vacuum" I'm creating that Mother Nature will always try to fill than being the source of mice looking to fill a vacuum somewhere else.

Be vigilant and don't let your guard down.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.