• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

http://albertaclimaterecords.com/

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is an interesting new interactive website that shows the climate trends from 1950 -2010 for much of Alberta. You can click on the map for your location and get the trends for temperature, precipitation, hot weather, cold weather, growing weather etc.

From the website:
    What is the difference between weather and climate?

The difference is time. Weather refers to conditions in the atmosphere over a short period of time. Climate is how the atmosphere behaves over relatively long periods of time.

What is a Climate Index?

A climate index is a time series of a variable, like whether daily temperature met a set value, that provide an indication of patterns in the climate system (Planton, 2013).
    Trends VS. Variability

A Temperature Trend is the average change over time that is calculated for each climate index based on all the available yearly temperature recordings.

The trends presented here were calculated based on a Mann-Kendall Trend Test

Variability is the natural fluctuation of temperature recordings from year to year.

Originally posted by chuckChuck View Post
    What is the difference between weather and climate?.
    50 yrs is not a valid sample in the history of a 4 billion yr old planet. Its cherry picked garbage. You have no idea of time scale.

Run the data for every 50 yr time set for the past 100M yrs and get back to us.

Comment

So how long does a tend have to be to change from Weather to Climate?

The weather changed here in 2004 and has been cooler and wetter since. That is going to be 16 years of cooling. Is that long enough be be climate?

Comment

Common theme lately is to shitcan records prior to 1950.....and say the world is going to end. ...

I don't buy into the world is ending like these donkeys did yesterday. ...bunch of phucking bullshit. ..

Comment

Jazz, no doubt you are a hold over from the Mesozoic era so, any data from 1950 -2010 is meaningless to you.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
            So how long does a tend have to be to change from Weather to Climate?
            That's easy, whenever the TV tells you it has. Like a hot day in July, that's climate change. An early snow, that is too. Coolest summer in 20 yrs, that's still global warming.

Comment

Jazz, no doubt you are a hold over from the Mesozoic era so, any data from 1950 -2010 is meaningless to you.
              Here we go. cant prove shit with your cherry picked data so start the insults. I suppose I am racist now too? Same old trope with the simple minded.

Comment

Jazz it is not my data or analysis.

Data Sources

The Alberta climate indices were calculated by the Kienzle Hydrology Lab at the Department of Geography, University of Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada, under the supervision of Dr. Stefan W. Kienzle, Professor of Hydrology and GIS (stefan.kienzle@uleth.ca).

The research is aimed at providing systematic knowledge to satisfy the recognized requirement for "Better climate information for a better future", as coined by The Third World Climate Conference. With the recent availability of a Canada-wide daily climate time series, spanning the period 1950-2010 at a spatial resolution of 10 km by 10 km, a complete, long-term, and spatially consistent climate dataset became available (minimum and maximum temperature, precipitation). The dataset originated from the National Land and Water Information Service (NLWIS), part of Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC), who released the daily 10km gridded climate dataset for Canada for the period 1951-2010. Grid values were interpolated from daily climate station recordings (Environment Canada).

This climate database served as a keystone in the calculation of a wide range of temperature and precipitation indices. To cover the entire Province of Alberta, 6833 time series were analysed to detect trends for 43 climate indices using the non-parametric Mann-Kendall and Sen Slope tests. Many climate indices exhibit trends with confidence levels exceeding 95%, often exceeding 99%.
                References:

Environment Canada, 2015: Climate Trends and Variations Bulletin – Annual for 2014 (https://www.ec.gc.ca/adsc-cmda/default.asp?lang=En&n=188031DB-1. Accessed Jan. 2016).

Hopkinson, R. F., D. McKenney, et al. (2011). "Impact of Aligning Climatological Day on Gridding Daily Maximum-Minimum Temperature and Precipitation over Canada." Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 50: 1654–1665

Hutchinson, M.F., D.W. McKenney, K. Lawrence, J.H. Pedlar, R.F. Hopkinson, E. Milewska, and P. Papadopol, 2009: Development and testing of Canada-wide interpolated spatial models of daily minimum/maximum temperature and precipitation 1961-2003. J. Appl. Meteorol. and Climatol., 48, 725-741.

McKenney, D. W., Hutchinson, M.F., Papadopol, P., Lawrence, K., Pedlar, J., Campbell, K., Milewska, E., Hopkinson, R., Price, D., Owen, T. (2011). "Customized spatial climate models for North America." Bulletin of American Meteorological Society-BAMS December: 1612-1622

Natural Resources Canada, 2016: Regional, national and international climate modeling. (http://cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/projects/3/4. Accessed Jan. 2016)

Comment

Jazz it is not my data or analysis.
                  Post data 1850 to 1950.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extreme_temperatures_in_Canada

High and low records are almost all before the modern oil economy even started when there was 5 billion fewer people and hardly anybody owned a car or flew in a plane.

Comment

“science” can not be trusted anymore. The whole research and science field has become so lucrative and cushy that the pigs in the trough are gladly concocting, sorting and cherry-picking. The world has turned into one big SCAM assisted by internet and computer “models”.
                    Last edited by sumdumguy; Nov 6, 2019, 08:52.

Comment

I've just about had it with your climate garbage chuck. As I type this its -18, lakes and sloughs are frozen over and have been for close to 2 weeks. Snow and cold comes earlier every year. Yes it seems like since 2009 it's been getting worse every year. The climate change people DO NOT practice what they preach, ever. Now employing brainwashed children like hitler youth. I'm sorry to use that terrible example, but that's what they are doing! If the climate experts go off averages, how do you recover from these double digit and more low daytime high and night time low temps? Snow 3rd week of october here to stay now the normal. Let's get real. This is about a useless society with no direction in life living off liberal govt handouts, the govt needs more handouts, hey let's impose climate taxes and use that. No wonder there is separation talk going wild.

Comment

Jazz

You have to ignore facts in this conversation....

Can't predict anything 6 months out accurately but believe nonsense 25 or 50 years out....

They have kids believing they shouldn't have kids when they get older.....FFS....

I hope they keep that teenager's interview until she is 30....the one on the National last night....then I had to switch channels....

Comment

Imagine chucks life. Every day wake up, eat some propaganda, find some bogus article to back it up, then come here and get destroyed. Guy is nothing if not dedicated to his illusion.

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                          Can't predict anything 6 months out accurately but believe nonsense 25 or 50 years out....
                          Its worse than that, now they have to fudge the past to make it all fit. Now its 1950 and onwards, ignore the data and time period before because that doesn't fit. In al my life I have never seen such devotion to a scam.
                          Last edited by jazz; Nov 6, 2019, 09:12.

Comment

Not much to talk about if you don't believe scientists or believe in science. You might as well go back to the dark ages.

Most of farmers are smart enough not to listen to the equivalent of coffee row "experts" spout conspiracy theories without any evidence or facts to back them up.

Comment

Regina Mayor Fougere received money believing scientists on climate change for some gas wells at the landfill...so he believes science....well until he might have to clean up his lead pipes ...then the science isn't compatible or believable....

Thats the problem with extremists ...they find a way to have their views fit the narrative...

Now...I might be an extremist....but I know at the end of the day farmers are giving away their contribution to cleaning up the fake issue....but even still the planet is happier with all of our farming practices in the last 30 years....

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...