• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical till

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical till

What is everyone's opinion of something like a Salford for putting on NH3 or pre working a field?

I like putting NH3 on in the fall and use a cultivator but it is slow and leaves the field rough. I few farms in the area use Salfords and they really cover ground and leave the fields smooth and nice to seed into. They can also really chop up pea vines.

After pricing a Salford with fert shanks i think i can live with the roughness.
    $160,000 for a 31 feet!

I was thinking the same. Not worth $160k

Comment

Are you even really farming if you don't have one of these tools in the shed?

That aside... Most of these units are only working with the top 1-2" at best, so would that be good for NH3 placement? I dont have any experience with NH3, but would think that shallow placement stands the chance of significant loss??

As far as working ahead, if serious trash is an issue, they can definitely turn it under, but since you are only incorporating into the top couple inches I've seen instances where hoe style drills still struggle immensely to clear the trash and a rough field finish and poor emergence post seeding is the result.

LOVE the job they do if you are trying to renovate pasture. Field finish prior to seeding is second to none, but in this area, they pulverize things so absolutely that a dry windy spring would make me lose sleep worrying about erosion.

Comment

Who is going to spend $150K and park it on the fence line or behind the shelter belt?

Got to justify owning one by using it....guys did that here. Brought up some dormant wild oats, ruined uniform seed placement in fields where only headlands and patches were done and some guys actually got their fields blowing.

I suppose they have their time and place but don't think it's an "everyday" piece of equipment.

There might have to be some re-learning needed.

Maybe the guys who like to spread on $100/tonne higher priced nitrogen with floaters can work it in with the vertical tillage tool.

I'd rather buy land.

Comment

You should go twice, maybe 3 times with VT. Really work that trash under, after all, it's trash. Also be sure to pull it with a 600,000$ 650 hp quad track. Then a couple quick passes with heavy harrows. All of these things are very important to be a good farmer.

Because our #1 goal is being the most expensive grain producers in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
            Are you even really farming if you don't have one of these tools in the shed?

That aside... Most of these units are only working with the top 1-2" at best, so would that be good for NH3 placement? I dont have any experience with NH3, but would think that shallow placement stands the chance of significant loss??

As far as working ahead, if serious trash is an issue, they can definitely turn it under, but since you are only incorporating into the top couple inches I've seen instances where hoe style drills still struggle immensely to clear the trash and a rough field finish and poor emergence post seeding is the result.

LOVE the job they do if you are trying to renovate pasture. Field finish prior to seeding is second to none, but in this area, they pulverize things so absolutely that a dry windy spring would make me lose sleep worrying about erosion.
            Here NH3 down 2-3 inch into cold wet clay stays right where you put it and a Salford you can lower the shanks below the discs. Have never seen land blow in my life so that's not a worry

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post
              You should go twice, maybe 3 times with VT. Really work that trash under, after all, it's trash. Also be sure to pull it with a 600,000$ 650 hp quad track. Then a couple quick passes with heavy harrows. All of these things are very important to be a good farmer.

someone piss in your corn flakes ?

Comment

Originally posted by tweety View Post

Spend more to grow more and make less.....that should be the slogan....

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                  someone piss in your corn flakes ?
                  Now now, is tweety's sarcasm any more vile than anyone else's?

Lol

Comment

i happen to agree with him/her on that topic, though
                    i think they are an expensive fad that have too many moving/wearable parts
                    it costs a lot to juice our hard land in the fall , but opening that land and getting some black dirt showing in the spring gains us a week in the spring that usually translates into 2-3 weeks gained in the fall
                    i do however prefer seeding into untouched land as we do on cereals going into canola stubble

Comment

Well, here we have to start doing something. Harrowing twice isn't always the answer.
                      We have a Case Turbo disc.
                      Although it does a nice job and is a dual tool because it's a true tandem gang disc. It like all true discs is born to die. High maintenance and repair.
                      Looking at Pro till when the time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                        Best thing I ever bought !

One pass and she's black !

120,000 for 30 ft !
                        Are you saying, "once you went black you never went back"?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                          Well, here we have to start doing something. Harrowing twice isn't always the answer.
                          We have a Case Turbo disc.
                          Although it does a nice job and is a dual tool because it's a true tandem gang disc. It like all true discs is born to die. High maintenance and repair.
                          Looking at Pro till when the time comes.
                          We have the same case disc , now use it for all low areas , sloughs and tree lines .
                          Makes seeding a breeze in spring in heavy trash areas and reduces frost risk tremendously.
                          Every area is different, we have frost near the end of May 9/10 years . It serves several purposes for us . Not used on every acre but probably 15-20% . Just low areas to reduce trash

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                            i happen to agree with him/her on that topic, though
                            i think they are an expensive fad that have too many moving/wearable parts
                            it costs a lot to juice our hard land in the fall , but opening that land and getting some black dirt showing in the spring gains us a week in the spring that usually translates into 2-3 weeks gained in the fall
                            i do however prefer seeding into untouched land as we do on cereals going into canola stubble
                            I really do understand the need to warm soil up in certain parts of the Prairies.....told you we farm on different planets, maybe even universes.

The Sahara Slum of the Ghetto is polar opposite of your Lush Garden of Eden. (sarcasm alert)

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                              Best thing I ever bought !

One pass and she's black !

120,000 for 30 ft !
                              How many acres have you put on and how bad is the maintenance? Just curious as I think it’d work great on old pasture and to take ruts out. Definitely on the “wish list” here.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...