• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola experts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola experts

So looking for some advice. We seed canola with 3inc spread tips so we can get enough fert down with one pass. Makes for uneven germination but with the shatter varieties that hasn't been a problem. But it starting to be. I am noticing the first plants that get out of the ground really start branching to fill up the space so I get these contorted stems with branches right to the ground. Then the second wave comes in and fills in. End up with a literal jungle in there that went down with the rains and light snow compared to my neighbors that stood up.

Not having any yield issues but even maturity is a problem even after spraying.

Considering going back to tips to try and get more even start. This extra branching the first plants do, is that beneficial for yield? Or the same as just having normal plants all same stage.

I favor uniformity, in all crops. Pesticide app timing, swathing timing, straight cut timing, all better with a uniform crop.

Comment

we float 150 lbs fines, then we knife in 90 lbs Nh3 in fall , then 20 lbs 46 and 35-40 lbs phos thru double shoot 1 1/2" atom jet opener on drill , works well

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
        we float 150 lbs fines, then we knife in 90 lbs Nh3 in fall , then 20 lbs 46 and 35-40 lbs phos thru double shoot 1 1/2" atom jet opener on drill , works well
        Wow. .....when moisture generally isn't the limiting factor.

Comment

WhT crops in beside your canola. Sprays like trophy will really twist up canola, make them grow like pumpkins

Comment

We have one variety that went down on every single field we seeded it on. It's new liberty that sucks the big one. Yes, some decent pods but a twisted ****ed up mess.

Then my old stand by L252 just giver.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	qTTtNYPoT7mTOJafTZRnMA.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	769046

We use to blow on fines like the case but changed it up a bit.

Now triple shoot. Dry anhydrous and with the seed.

Seems to work plant tissue test in august said I had the right mixture.

Did a soil test for 100 bus canola for shits and giggles.

I'll leave that for the expert up north.

Comment

Some canola varieties are a real POS.
              fert all the same and 5 bpa difference.
              Dekalb 92sc never grow it..
              Have rep coming next week.
              See What We get..

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                Some canola varieties are a real POS.
                fert all the same and 5 bpa difference.
                Dekalb 92sc never grow it..
                Have rep coming next week.
                See What We get..
                This was one of my first issues with the seed tax....what happens if the variety is a dud.....who pays....

I think I know the answer...and the excuse....is getting your seed cost back enough or should you be paid for yield loss...and who's going to regulate it....

There is no farmer's advocate or ombudsman for such things and there should be....
                Last edited by bucket; Oct 19, 2019, 07:36.

Comment

We had 500 acres of it.
                  Even at 10 bucks.
                  25000 loss seeded along side 7565.
                  There old variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                    We had 500 acres of it.
                    Even at 10 bucks.
                    25000 loss seeded along side 7565.
                    There old variety.
                    It's new, more money, it HAS to be better!

Comment

While we are talking varieties I’ll add my endorsement of 252. Very pleased with its potential. If you give it the groceries it delivers.
                      I would like to hear hat others experience has been with 233P. Considering trying some for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                        So looking for some advice. We seed canola with 3inc spread tips so we can get enough fert down with one pass. Makes for uneven germination but with the shatter varieties that hasn't been a problem. But it starting to be. I am noticing the first plants that get out of the ground really start branching to fill up the space so I get these contorted stems with branches right to the ground. Then the second wave comes in and fills in. End up with a literal jungle in there that went down with the rains and light snow compared to my neighbors that stood up.

Not having any yield issues but even maturity is a problem even after spraying.

Considering going back to tips to try and get more even start. This extra branching the first plants do, is that beneficial for yield? Or the same as just having normal plants all same stage.
                        We seed with a Seedmaster so it is a knife. Twelve inch spacing. ALL fertilizer below and to side of seed. Best emergence we’ve ever had. No fertilizer with seed at all and I think this helps emergence as fertilizer salts are very hard in canola seed.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          It's new, more money, it HAS to be better!
                          It's so good that next yr they have 96sc..woopee a new improved new variety..
                          Tells me this one was shit..but had warehouses full to rip off farmers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...
                          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.