• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad to hear ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad to hear ...

Yet another very well established farm in this area calling it quits .
    After a bad harvest last year and a huge amount of frozen degraded crop again this year , they are pulling the pin.
    It’s getting ridiculous that you absolutely need at least an average crop of top grade just to be lucky enough to make a buck or two .
    It does not take very long to go backwards when everyone in the Ag industry and landlords are making more money per acre than the farmer that takes all the financial risk .
    I know this guy well and he has ran a very good farm for a very long time. This kind of thing should raise eyebrows in the industry but it won’t. Yes the odd farm was overextended, but in many cases that’s not the fact anymore. The industry believes everyone grows 80 bus top quality wheat and 60 bus canola and money always flows .... well time will tell, but there will be many more after this harvest gets wrapped up and guys look at the numbers .
    Crop prices are terrible when looking at current expenses even on the leanest of farms. Then throw in feed grains and or sample canola with lower prices yet . These current tariffs and lack of leadership to deal with them are the final straw for some guys now. The numbers simply do not work when you make less than every one else up the food chain. And no crop insurance and other band aid programs won’t help in situations like this .
    50 bus / ac feed wheat is a money loser on 90% of the farms now . Last year prices held up ok , but that little profit is now wiped out.
    The margin for error has become way way to thin , throw in an uncontrolled weather hit and it don’t matter how much fertility you use , professional agronomist advice , fungicides, precision farming, fancy over expensive seed treatments, really any of that means zero when the crop is hit with frost , snow rain or lack of rain at critical times ..... there is only one loser , the farmer who takes all the risk.
    And some guys now even after 80 plus years are looking at their wealth getting demolished and are pulling the pin before they lose everything.
    Sad to see .
    Yes it’s happened before in many areas but this one may be more widespread than many in the industry believe. Time will tell.
    But hey 👋, fertilizer prices are up as well as other inputs for next year 👍👍. No problem, just sign here and they will increase your credit and your good to go lol .
    We were fortunate enough here to keep our head above water again but working for Walmart wages while everyone else in the industry is living it up is getting old fast .
    Farming as a lifestyle don’t pay bills anymore let alone try to raise raise a family . For some the stress is simply not worth it anymore.

I noticed on the Sask pulse growers website there is a letter about getting more action from government...

The incompetent Brad Blackwell writes it 2 weeks into the election....he should have started it when India shit on us....

Just over a year ago I was told that type of lobbying wasn't in the Sask Pulse wheelhouse....oh oh someone on the board hit rough waters....

Back to furrow's comment....the farming community has used up as much equity as they think and get out...

Look out for more consolidation ,,,who can afford these farms ...and what will the bailout look like when the government has to bail out the investor groups....its coming....

Comment

No one should have to pack it in due to weather.....

Comment

Certainly the problems are well defined Furrow, but what is the solution?

Comment

Sorry to hear that and I am usually totally empathetic to the plight of farmers, BUT we need to check ourselves too before looking for scape goats. We cant keep chasing inflation without a commensurate move in prices. But I am convinced that will never happen so here we are. There are ways to cut costs and improve margins. There are ways to truly diversify income instead of getting more land. But it would take a change in thinking and some experimenting. Maybe something guys long in the tooth dont want to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            Sorry to hear that and I am usually totally empathetic to the plight of farmers, BUT we need to check ourselves too before looking for scape goats. We cant keep chasing inflation without a commensurate move in prices. But I am convinced that will never happen so here we are. There are ways to cut costs and improve margins. There are ways to truly diversify income instead of getting more land. But it would take a change in thinking and some experimenting. Maybe something guys long in the tooth dont want to worry about.
            Agree , but that’s not the case anymore
            Most farms left now have done what you have stated and more . That’s the reality now
            Seems as primary producers we are also expected now to have 2-3 other jobs and sources of income to make ends meet as you pointed out . Virtually no one else in the Ag industry does and we essentially pay their wage lol
            Last edited by furrowtickler; Oct 16, 2019, 11:00.

Comment

My input costs were cut to the bone when things were looking dry and we were missing rains....The only thing that has phucked up a profitable year is the weather....I can't control it and neither can anyone else....

Take off a 2cwrs at 19 moisture and still ed up with feed or leave it out....

I struggle with the decisions and the fact its still early but never been into October with this much to do and not gaining day to day....the sun is shining but its not bringing the moisture down and you can't aerate to dry with these conditions....

Comment

Furrow ..........
                As I’m spinning my tires (figuratively and literally) trying to move mushy wet grain around the bin yard to the dryer I don’t blame your neighbors for a second. My wife and I were discussing things last night while some more unforecasted rain was falling that I wish I knew if the rest of the crop was going to come off since I’d disc it under to try and give next year a fighting chance to be on schedule instead of behind like the last 4 years.

We’ve been in next year country mode since mid July here.

Comment

some landlords are about to re-learn a very valuable lesson from the 80's,
                  no one will farm rented land for nothing
                  that ship has sailed , plus the bankers won't let them even if they wanted to
                  a canola rep asked me the other day if i wanted to book some canola ?
                  i asked him if he had lost his ****ing mind, or if he was worried it was gonna run out ?
                  **** these guys have lost touch with reality
                  make no mistake , there is a shitstorm on the horizon , there will be a missing generation , similar to the 80's
                  Last edited by Guest; Oct 16, 2019, 12:07.

Comment

Originally posted by wd9 View Post
                    Certainly the problems are well defined Furrow, but what is the solution?
                    Not that difficult solution you can’t have programs insuring 80% of your average when you average in loss years and on top of it a crazy premium that reduces that 80 to 70% just doesn’t work such a low margin. That s not hard to fix. If gov was contributing something they’d then find ways to control the out of control costs. We have starting with seed
                    It’s not rocket science.

Comment

I’ve been saying it for years and things just seem to keep keeping on the same as always. I can almost foresee another dirty thirties without the drought. People working for food and a place to stay. Most people have no idea how to take care of themselves now. They rely solely on the government for help when things go for shit. Just look at the power being out for a week in Manitoba and people are shitting a brick. Young kids couldn’t build a fire and kill something to eat but they sure as hell know how to down load an app for their phuckin phone. Reality needs to hit home about what is important and what isn’t and it needs to happen to the people living in the cities for a real change to happen. Ie the importance of food production.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
                        I’ve been saying it for years and things just seem to keep keeping on the same as always. I can almost foresee another dirty thirties without the drought. People working for food and a place to stay. Most people have no idea how to take care of themselves now. They rely solely on the government for help when things go for shit. Just look at the power being out for a week in Manitoba and people are shitting a brick. Young kids couldn’t build a fire and kill something to eat but they sure as hell know how to down load an app for their phuckin phone. Reality needs to hit home about what is important and what isn’t and it needs to happen to the people living in the cities for a real change to happen. Ie the importance of food production.
                        According to them we're doing it all wrong.

Comment

The main reason more farmers are not quitting is off farm jobs suck keep in mind. Your worth less than you think and deduct commuting and possible child care. Help wanted adds are a leading source of misleading advertising. Always less than advertised so farmers put with a lot. Unfortunately it takes prominent farms quitting force cost control at input suppliers.

Comment

Well this is depressing. I can't imagine how the guys operating on the edge are going to manage this. Does everyone have shit grain? How much?

RENT: ya some rates are out of hand but why does the adjustment for costs have to come from the life-time farmer who rented his land out for retirement income? I don't give a fúck about the investors....let it go to weeds! I'm not even too sympathetic towards kids who inherited land but chose not to farm! Wasn't good enough for you before....I guess I don't care if you think you're not getting enough rent.....ROI on something free can be zero as far as I'm concerned.

Have a nice day!

Comment

Ultimately this Industry needs a delousing on several levels!

I'm tired of being the host of the parasite party.

Maybe it's time for someone else yo cinch their belts tighter, get leaner, and shave costs.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...