• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Climate! Just more of the same

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Climate! Just more of the same

Seeing ruts filled with frozen water just brings back memories of being a child and my parents trying to get a Super 92 Massy combine moving again after it dropped into a set of ruts that were filled with ice. The combine would just spin on the ice and I remember it being a cloudy dark cold day just like today with the odd snow flake coming down. I remember my Dad being angry and most likely frustrated. This was likely mid to late sixties.

Not a Climate emergency! Just more of the same.

Did the super 92 have a cab or was it free air?🤐

Comment

It was free air but an old swather canvas would get hung around in front of the operator to help cut the wind. Still terrible cold!

Comment

I remember in 92 doing 35% corn December 23 in an ice storm, filling an Ag bag. Trying to haul a gravity wagon into the bagger with the old 2130 and it was so icy it just swung back and forth on the front of the wagon like a windshield wiper. Then the next morning driving the old open station loader tractor home from the repair shop 25 km with a -45 wind chill before they closed for Christmas so we could keep the cows fed.

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
          Seeing ruts filled with frozen water just brings back memories of being a child and my parents trying to get a Super 92 Massy combine moving again after it dropped into a set of ruts that were filled with ice. The combine would just spin on the ice and I remember it being a cloudy dark cold day just like today with the odd snow flake coming down. I remember my Dad being angry and most likely frustrated. This was likely mid to late sixties.

Not a Climate emergency! Just more of the same.
          Your family must have been rich. We only had a Massey 90. Thought we really struck it when Dad traded it off on a 410.

This is just weather. The problem is we've laid things off on "climate change! The sky is falling!", but it's just weather. It snowed here on Oct 5, 1959 and they didn't finish harvest. Our CO2 emissions hadn't skyrocketed. Gas was REAL gas with octane and lead. It was just bad weather.

When we defer to climate change instead of weather it steers us off course in managing risk correctly. We think of reducing emissions as sustainable rather than piping natural gas to rural areas for affordable grain drying. That has a chance of actually being sustainable.

Climate change thinking causes foolish carbon taxing. Weather concerns should fund bankable crop insurance programs.

Climate change misdirection causes offers of "green" energy tech for our northern country to stop melting ice and resulting floods. Thinking weather, you clear administrative hurdles for surface and/or tile drainage.

I just came in from working in a very snowed in yard. It was a weather bomb. Emphasis: weather.

Comment

I don’t think we were rich Braveheart.
            I also remember my Mom asking for credit at the local grocery store until they would open a quota and we could haul a few loads of wheat!

Comment

Originally posted by seldomseen View Post
              I don’t think we were rich Braveheart.
              I also remember my Mom asking for credit at the local grocery store until they would open a quota and we could haul a few loads of wheat!
              I was being sarcastic. I can relate completely. Our cream cheque bought the extras and there weren't many of them. Mom and Dad worked so hard milking cows and growing hard to sell crops (thanks to that rotten CWB).

I don't know about your Super 92, but where the engine was on the 90, was a perfect place for skunks. They were often hiding there.

Comment

Originally posted by Braveheart View Post
                I was being sarcastic. I can relate completely. Our cream cheque bought the extras and there weren't many of them. Mom and Dad worked so hard milking cows and growing hard to sell crops (thanks to that rotten CWB).

I don't know about your Super 92, but where the engine was on the 90, was a perfect place for skunks. They were often hiding there.
                I don’t remember skunks being an issue.

Comment

More of whats in a word. For example, weather bomb hits and Manitoba declares an emergency. This allows access to funds for extra MB Hydro expenses, etc.

North Dakota calls it a disaster. This allows compensation for livestock losses, etc.

Comment

My understanding of the USA system is if you can get it declared a disaster the feds take over the payments.

Seems you wait for the OPPORTUNITY then get your infrastructure fixed up.

Appears we are headed down that path with climate emergencies.

Expect a lot of them.

Comment

I remeber using a super92 to combine my first crop.

Great combine for picking a dry 35-40 bu 15 ft wheat swath.

Not overpowered but few break-downs.

Not much fun doing Red Cover in October with one.

Then the under-powered really made for getting good at pulling wads out of the plugged cylinder.

At least it wasn't underneath.

Not much good about harvesting in October.

Comment

Oh it's just climate chan . . . . . . . I'm getting frustrated by adults with teenage brains making decisions for Canadians that are a waste of tax payers money , example being Environment Canada has added, Climate Change to it's name. Why is that necessary, it just tells me the environment minister is saying, look at me, I'm important, I just made a insignificant change to a government department.

Environment Canada has a operating budget of 1.640 billion.

The hierarchy is as follows,

Minister
                        Deputy minister
                        Associate Deputy Minister
                        Assistant Deputy Minister
                        Associate Assistant Deputy Minister
                        Director General
                        Director
                        Managers
                        Supervisors
                        Staff

6800 employees.

Comment

One way to save a few billion, cancel EC right after the CBC!

Comment

More cold on the way for Canada and the midwest, due to typhoon Hagibis,

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/super-typhoon-hagibis-to-have-significant-impact-on-canadas-national-weather-pattern https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/super-typhoon-hagibis-to-have-significant-impact-on-canadas-national-weather-pattern

Comment

Re open air.

Think was maybe early 70s before we got first cabined tractor I was just a whipper snapper.
                              Then I think maybe 77/78 first aircon/heater in a cab.

My dear departed dad comment “weak pricks I ain’t been cold since the POW camps”

Funny He came to like it after a few days lol

Fast forward to 2010 me “yo blokes are effing hopeless can’t dive without gps but I’ve grown to love it”
                              Last edited by malleefarmer; Oct 16, 2019, 02:22.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.