• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

plugged lexion

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plugged lexion

As the title suggests, plugged the lexion last night. Usually plug the cylinder and just drop the concave and fire it through by engaging separator. But this time the main 6 or 7 rib belt is smoking on left side of combine. Usually APS belt is the culprit. But APS and cylinder are spinning with separator engaged.

Am I right in thinking it is plugged in transition between the beater behind the cylinder and the rotors? Going to go inside the hopper and check this morning here, but figured I would ask for some insight on here as well.

Heavy tough oats with green straw! Liking the yield, hating watching the combines CRAWL around to get it. Even had a first in this same oat crop and plugged the rotor on the case as well.

There is a kit that you can put on the impeller behind the cylinder that separates the crop flow to the rotors...

Its a serrated kit that helps cut tough straw....and help prevent buildup in the impeller and plugging like you describe...

You maybe at this for a while....

Comment

I think its called a sunflower kit for the impeller...

Comment

I just got the pleasure of learning how to do this. Partially courtesy of the combine forum.

If cylinder and APS are still turning, that is half the battle already won.

Remove the bolts from the 2 speed cylinder gearbox so that nothing in front of the rotors is turning.

Then slide the coupler between rotors off so that only the RHS rotor is turning.

Try engaging the separator now with only one rotor turning.

If it clears that rotor, then put the coupler back on and try clearing out the other rotor.

Since your cylinder isn't plugged, you can skip this step:

Loosen impeller drive belt, remove the door at the top of the feeder house/under cab, drop concave and start thresher again, and the cylinder and APS will throw the slug out on top of the feeder house.

Open covers in the bottom of the hopper and dig out what you can from the impeller ( I was able to skip this step)

Tighten impeller belt, engage thresher and verify that the impeller is in fact turning because there is no speed sensor on it.

Mine was plugged from end to end by the time it stalled( I wasn't operating), started out with plugged rotors in very tough straw and I didn't have to remove a single straw by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
          There is a kit that you can put on the impeller behind the cylinder that separates the crop flow to the rotors...

Its a serrated kit that helps cut tough straw....and help prevent buildup in the impeller and plugging like you describe...

You maybe at this for a while....
          So you figure that I am at the right part of the combine? Never plugged it like this before.

I have the wear kit on the impeller. I would have to throw that one out and put the sunflower kit in?

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            I just got the pleasure of learning how to do this. Partially courtesy of the combine forum.

If cylinder and APS are still turning, that is half the battle already won.

Remove the bolts from the 2 speed cylinder gearbox so that nothing in front of the rotors is turning.

Then slide the coupler between rotors off so that only the RHS rotor is turning.

Try engaging the separator now with only one rotor turning.

If it clears that rotor, then put the coupler back on and try clearing out the other rotor.

Since your cylinder isn't plugged, you can skip this step:

Loosen impeller drive belt, remove the door at the top of the feeder house/under cab, drop concave and start thresher again, and the cylinder and APS will throw the slug out on top of the feeder house.

Open covers in the bottom of the hopper and dig out what you can from the impeller ( I was able to skip this step)

Tighten impeller belt, engage thresher and verify that the impeller is in fact turning because there is no speed sensor on it.

Mine was plugged from end to end by the time it stalled( I wasn't operating), started out with plugged rotors in very tough straw and I didn't have to remove a single straw by hand.
            According to monitor both cylinder and rotors are turning. Must just be blocked at impeller I am thinking. But would that make the main drive belt smoke?

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
              According to monitor both cylinder and rotors are turning. Must just be blocked at impeller I am thinking. But would that make the main drive belt smoke?
              Seems unlikely unless the belt tensions on both are completely wrong. Impeller belt is 2 band belt, don't see how it could stall out that multiband belt all by itself. Perhaps a mechanical failure?

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                As the title suggests, plugged the lexion last night. Usually plug the cylinder and just drop the concave and fire it through by engaging separator. But this time the main 6 or 7 rib belt is smoking on left side of combine. Usually APS belt is the culprit. But APS and cylinder are spinning with separator engaged.

Am I right in thinking it is plugged in transition between the beater behind the cylinder and the rotors? Going to go inside the hopper and check this morning here, but figured I would ask for some insight on here as well.

Heavy tough oats with green straw! Liking the yield, hating watching the combines CRAWL around to get it. Even had a first in this same oat crop and plugged the rotor on the case as well.
                That reverse on the case sure is nice tho !?

Comment

All the engineering they put into combines and very few have complete reversers. ...productivity goes down when you are stopped. ...maybe no one thinks that out in their ads.....

Comment

All the engineering they put into combines and very few have complete reversers. ...productivity goes down when you are stopped. ...maybe no one thinks that out in their ads.....
                    Every engineer should get some seat time in tough conditions. Plus have to dismantle and reassemble the machines that they design.

It might bring a better understanding and a little commonsense to machine design.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                      Seems unlikely unless the belt tensions on both are completely wrong. Impeller belt is 2 band belt, don't see how it could stall out that multiband belt all by itself. Perhaps a mechanical failure?
                      My appologies. It was the impeller belt that was burning after all. Had someone watching while I engaged machine. To their defence it was pitch black at night.

Opened covers inside hopper and found the culprit staring me in the face. A little pulling and swearing and back going again!

Comment

Do you have the sunflower kit on the impeller. ...if not get it...

Comment

Do you have the sunflower kit on the impeller. ...if not get it...
                          No just the regular wear kit. Harder steel bolt on sections that bolt to the impeller, but not serated like you are talking about.

Comment

That is one of things I hate
                            About the lex..
                            Climbing in the hopper.
                            Digging out the impeller.
                            Straw by straw. Nothing you can
                            Drop. Nothing you can get a bar
                            Or wrench on.
                            Then the back rotor thing.
                            Pulling the coupler apart.
                            No easy task if never been apart
                            Before.
                            I gave up and took 2 lex. Mechanics. 1 1/2 hr.to do it.

Case looks pretty good at that
                            Point.

Comment

It is sad, because other than the plugging issue the lexion is a pretty good combine. Seems you service it before harvest, and it stays in the field.

The case seems to have little gremlins here and there during harvest, but is a very nice machine to run and in my mind throws a better sample than the lexion. And as I have learned this year, the rotor reverse is a beautiful feature.

Being plugged for half a day at a time is getting to be a deal breaker for me.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...