• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cwrs protein

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cwrs protein

Apparently protein is 10 ish in the great white north.

Good for $1.26 in discounts at local elevator....

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
      Apparently protein is 10 ish in the great white north.
      Sounds like a lack of heat units?

Comment

Have some 16 protien here but falling numbers low
        So its all feed with high protien that they can use for blending
        Be ****ed if i will sell it for feed

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          Have some 16 protien here but falling numbers low
          So its all feed with high protien that they can use for blending
          Be ****ed if i will sell it for feed
          Some of our sprouted wheat has falling numbers of 135-145. Tests I had done independent of GrainCos.
          It is what it Is! Probably even unblendable, if it's even possible in a good year...there is just so much of it out there now.
          I don't know how borderline stuff can be dealt with but mine isn't there so not for me to worry about.

It's an open market and maybe you can find a buyer who will take it for a higher than feed price based on its specs.

Not too long ago feed prices were at a small discount to #1 HRS, GAP.....widening.

Comment

ours are 160-290
            lots sold wheat here as a 1 and 2 before the falling number craze started

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
              ours are 160-290
              lots sold wheat here as a 1 and 2 before the falling number craze started
              I do understand the issue, up to us to see if we can get paid better.

To me the 290 stuff should be blendable....anything borderline.

Do cookies, flatbreads, noodles....anything unleven need high falling number specs?

That's what we need to know!

Comment

I remember years ago that was the market they were chasing because only affluent people like fluffy bread...

That may be the characteristics that have been bred into our varieties...high yield...low falling number...

The seed tax will save us....

Comment

Since Gluten is a protein what is the gluten strength of CWRS this year? Will all the CWRS varieties make the markers to meet the class?

Comment

My AC Brandon what I have in the bin was 14.6, which I was shocked to see considering very low heat units and lots of rain.

Comment

I'm done with wheat.
                      In the past 8-10 years the graincos have used the following excuses to buy my wheat cheap:

Low protein, it's garbage worth $4
                      'Frost' damage, garbage worth $4
                      Fusarium, garbage worth $4
                      Ergot, gotta clean it, oops missed one, garbage worth $4
                      'Heat' damage from hot air drying from too high a moisture content. There isn't even a grading factor for this but it's garbage, worth $4

And now this year it's falling number!

That's it for me, I'm out. Someone else can take that beating

Comment

Shawn,

The CGC grain grading guide provides the ammunition, a whole arsenal of It, to be used as grading demerits.

It's really unbelievable.

Down graded grain isn't "worthless" but is "worth less".

Know what you have! There are independent grading services out there. If you use them you may not be subject to "buyer bias". Remember the paradigm shift I mentioned.

Comment

Interestingly enough I can't find the falling number test or the range used to determine if it falls into any specific grade category in the CGC grain grading guide. The only thing they are using in the grain grading guide that I can see is an objective count of sprouted and severely sprouted kernels in a certain size sample.

The good thing about the falling number test is it takes the objectivity out of the grading, anything borderline....wouldn't you rather rely on the subjectivity of a methodically approved test? If it's close, maybe something can be negotiated.

Comment

Because it isn't.
                            Falling number isn't a grading factor in Canada. Haven't been privy to the discussions at the standards committee for about 15 years but they wouldn't bring it in then because of the inability to test quickly and repeatedly on the driveway so the proposal was scrapped back then, however the rest of the world buys on falling number so it's a mess.
                            The graincos will have minimum FN specs on export sales.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarms View Post
                              Because it isn't.
                              Falling number isn't a grading factor in Canada. Haven't been privy to the discussions at the standards committee for about 15 years but they wouldn't bring it in then because of the inability to test quickly and repeatedly on the driveway so the proposal was scrapped back then, however the rest of the world buys on falling number so it's a mess.
                              The graincos will have minimum FN specs on export sales.
                              Is there a standard or can it vary depending on end use?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.