Sunday Morning question

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Sunday Morning question

Oct 6, 2019 | 07:46 1 As I listen to what each federal party is promising in this election I find a contradiction exists in all parties. Why is it that all parties are concerned about our future generations when it comes to climate change but every party wants to increase the tax load on future generations by increasing our federal debt today? I can't remember a previous election where I was so disappointed and turned off!! Reply With Quote
farmaholic's Avatar Oct 6, 2019 | 08:00 2 It must he hard to try and appeal to everyone?

Everyone is a potential vote.

Publicly denying "Climate Change" wouldn't resonate with alot of voters.

And well the promised spending is just vote buying....

But I do understand what you're saying. Gotta protect the electorate from the Climate Change boogie man but none of them are concerned about protecting them from the Perpetual Debt monkey that they won't be able to get off their back! Reply With Quote
Oct 6, 2019 | 08:01 3
Quote Originally Posted by Hamloc View Post
As I listen to what each federal party is promising in this election I find a contradiction exists in all parties. Why is it that all parties are concerned about our future generations when it comes to climate change but every party wants to increase the tax load on future generations by increasing our federal debt today? I can't remember a previous election where I was so disappointed and turned off!!
I too am disappointed. Instead of how they are going to buy our vote, I would like to hear some policy on agriculture and how they intend to convince the west that we still count in this country. There is a reason that the US has the electoral college. Reply With Quote
Oct 6, 2019 | 08:02 4 One thing that irritates me is when the candidates go talk to elementary students ...they don't vote and have another 8 years before reality kicks in....I know why they do it because the questions are easy...

Meanwhile ask a real question about taxes and the environment and its just blank stares and dead air....

Look at Elizabeth May's response to Danny....somehow took the conversation into the age of farmers...it wasn't relevant to what he was asking...

They fit the questions into the narrative they are promoting instead of listening the electorate's concerns...

The parties are guessing what might be an issue...because they are out of touch...Ottawa has bubble wrapped them all... Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Oct 6, 2019 | 08:31 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamloc View Post
    As I listen to what each federal party is promising in this election I find a contradiction exists in all parties. Why is it that all parties are concerned about our future generations when it comes to climate change but every party wants to increase the tax load on future generations by increasing our federal debt today? I can't remember a previous election where I was so disappointed and turned off!!
    Debt doesn't seem to register as a concern anymore.

    Most haven't seen any consequence, and the PM and his weak ministers don't comprehend.

    Virtue signaling is the thing the media wants to highlight.

    Right in JT's wheelhouse.

    Never thought I'd say it, but I think it's time to pull the plug on the CBC.

    When your public broadcaster is a propagana machine staffed by political activists I think they have outlived their mandate. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Oct 6, 2019 | 08:46 6 It’s amazing agriculture which every society depends on is left out. So are rural towns and people it’s all the stupid stuff that has become important. The rich wackos dictate the agenda to make more money off all of us. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Oct 6, 2019 | 09:06 7 Its sickening! All they do is promise more money for everyone. No one seems to understand the Government has no money. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Oct 6, 2019 | 09:35 8
    Quote Originally Posted by the big wheel View Post
    It’s amazing agriculture which every society depends on is left out. So are rural towns and people it’s all the stupid stuff that has become important. The rich wackos dictate the agenda to make more money off all of us.
    Sometimes I wonder if there should be 2 voting blocks in the country. One for cities over 100,000 and one for the rest. Or is 100,000 too high?
    Last edited by littledoggie; Oct 6, 2019 at 09:37. Reason: wording
    Reply With Quote
    Oct 6, 2019 | 09:49 9
    Quote Originally Posted by the big wheel View Post
    It’s amazing agriculture which every society depends on is left out. So are rural towns and people it’s all the stupid stuff that has become important. The rich wackos dictate the agenda to make more money off all of us.
    Well the Lizard May says she wants to fill all the empty spaces on the prairies all those small towns with migrants, so you got that I guess!!! Reply With Quote
    Oct 6, 2019 | 09:56 10
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamloc View Post
    Why is it that all parties are concerned about our future generations when it comes to climate change but every party wants to increase the tax load on future generations by increasing our federal debt today?
    I have 2 questions;

    Why isn't anyone pointing out to the "young peoplekind", that the debt and borrowing that politicians are promising,,, will have to be paid off by the younger voter!

    Why are "young peoplekind" still, and are most likely, to support politicians that are promising more spending and more debt without a plan to pay it off? Reply With Quote
    Oct 6, 2019 | 10:06 11
    Quote Originally Posted by beaverdam View Post

    Why are "young peoplekind" still, and are most likely, to support politicians that are promising more spending and more debt without a plan to pay it off?
    WHY do we need MORE anyway, in this prosperous country! LOOK at what we have! And we STILL want more! Sick Reply With Quote
    helmsdale's Avatar Oct 6, 2019 | 10:09 12 How can you expect politicians to care about living within their means, when the regular folk think nothing of debt?

    Want that new living room furniture? Put it on the Ho Ho Hold the Payments plan!

    Want that new car? We'll set you up with 0% interest, over 84 months biweekly! Nevermind that you'll be "underwater" on that loan for the first 3 or 4 years!

    Want that vacation you've always dreamed of? Put it on the credit card and worry about it later!

    Want that new boat? No payments for the first year, then 72 months and it'll be yours!

    The camper to go with it? DEALS DEALS DEALS, just put it on credit!

    New Granite countertops and stainless steel appliances? Put er on the HELOC and worry about it later!

    Hell I read an article the other day that millenials are putting new shoes and sweaters on PAYMENT PLANS!

    Shit, even us farmers these days. Want that chunk of land you've always been drooling about? We'll put you on interest only payments, or blow the whole thing out of 35 years! Nevermind that the only way it's going to pay for itself for the duration of the loan is the capital appreciation you'll be able to loan against for the next great expansion...

    Nobody ever reads, nor cares about the fine print. "Past performance not necessarily indicative of future returns"
    So... when the politician says we'll give you this and that and we'll just put er on the credit card, you wonder why it doesnt resonate??? Nobody cares until they're forced to! Reply With Quote

  • helmsdale's Avatar Oct 6, 2019 | 10:13 13 Nobody gave debt any serious consideration in the 70s and 80s either in this country... Until we damned near failed to clear our federal government bond sales!

    Personally most dont give a shit about debt until that new car is hauled away in the dark of night, the boat is repo'd, or the banks come calling for the house keys! Reply With Quote
    Oct 6, 2019 | 10:55 14 Helmsdale

    Many good points in both posts. I don't know if you have children or not, but I can tell you mine do not fit your description of Millennials.

    Living within ones means and nothing comes easy in life without hard work was drill in their heads from the get go.

    I didn't invent the wheel on this philosophy, as I'm sure other posters have stated the same thing to their children.

    One thing I will tell you, if and when the shit hits the fan my children will benefit from their up bringing in more ways than one!!


    Hamloc

    There hasn't been a fit leader of this country since Paul Martin. The guy knew what economics was about and knew the value of money. But that SHIP has sailed in both regards!!! Reply With Quote
    helmsdale's Avatar Oct 6, 2019 | 11:11 15
    Quote Originally Posted by foragefarmer View Post
    Helmsdale

    Many good points in both posts. I don't know if you have children or not, but I can tell you mine do not fit your description of Millennials.

    Living within ones means and nothing comes easy in life without hard work was drill in their heads from the get go.

    I didn't invent the wheel on this philosophy, as I'm sure other posters have stated the same thing to their children.

    One thing I will tell you, if and when the shit hits the fan my children will benefit from their up bringing in more ways than one!!
    PSA: If we are using born between 1981 and 1996 as the period to define millenials, then I myself am one of the cohort.

    Obviously there are those that fall outside the trend. But trends and patterns do exist.

    Yes I have children. I hope I'm at least half the father to them, that mine was to me! Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Oct 6, 2019 | 22:11 16
    Quote Originally Posted by helmsdale View Post
    PSA: If we are using born between 1981 and 1996 as the period to define millenials, then I myself am one of the cohort.
    If you never had kids, I was going to tell you to dry behind your ears. Reply With Quote