Day 10 no harvesting and its getting sick already.

Commodity Marketing

Tools

Day 10 no harvesting and its getting sick already.

SASKFARMER's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 06:48 1 Day 10 of sitting and looking at the sky as fog and mist happen all day again.

This is getting sick; hell Trudeau makes more sense than the weather this fall.

Yes, I have seen many years like this, but this time I have a way to much out, and it bugs the shit out of me.

We had five days to harvest in Sept. We went on all of them and dried every single bushel.

If it flows, it goes is our motto most years. But we sit and look at the mist. Literally, yesterday it was mist and cold all day Mist.

Last summer we looked at the big dryer to change ours up to and made a plan when we were done we would sell ours and order it for 2020. Well, we're a long way from done and having it we would be no further along.

Renting eight combines to add to ours we still wouldn't have any more done.

This sitting and thinking are not fun.

Hauling gravel today as the yard is ****ing muddy.

The dryer will be done all we had up to this point this afternoon, so we sit some more.

Yea, farming what a ****ing life.

Name:  59192021400__3493A340-1A18-4450-8FC3-01623426F7CD.jpg
Views: 1690
Size:  97.0 KB Reply With Quote
Oct 5, 2019 | 07:12 2 Maybe you could put a call into the sask ag minister's office and tell them the crop isn't ready and his remarks yesterday were just stupid...

Crops were not ripe before the rain and the stats prove it....and it didn't cure between the rain and the snow later and it's not curing now....

This isn't something to ignore....the province's budget is 15 billion.....there is 12 billion gross dollars in the field.... Reply With Quote

  • Partners's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 07:47 3 Thick fog this morn.
    Any bets on which date sask ag will consider the remainder of the crop will not get harvested?
    Nov 1st or Dec 1st??
    Or will they say it will be there may 1st.. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • Oct 5, 2019 | 07:53 4 Nothing more humbling for wanabe BTO s ,than the realization that we are all at the mercy of the weather no matter how good an operator you are. Unfortunately it takes a mental toll. Most farmers are too emotionally invested in their operation. Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 08:34 5 the COLD WET 50's are back, 70 years later...climate changed AGAIN! Combined on frozen ground/ice sloughs just enough to feed livestock, so they folks told me. With the 55 in my avatar! Reply With Quote

  • Oct 5, 2019 | 08:39 6
    Quote Originally Posted by agstar77 View Post
    Nothing more humbling for wanabe BTO s ,than the realization that we are all at the mercy of the weather no matter how good an operator you are. Unfortunately it takes a mental toll. Most farmers are too emotionally invested in their operation.
    Tell that to the banker or your family when the crop is in the field and for 90% of guys , bills still need to be paid . Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Oct 5, 2019 | 08:51 7
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    Tell that to the banker or your family when the crop is in the field and for 90% of guys , bills still need to be paid .
    I have left crop out. It is THE most stressful and financially damaging thing I can think of in farming. But I have only ever left out 60% of my crop. Lol, ONLY 60%.... This year it could be the whole thing. The only thing is misery loves company, so where I felt alone before, I may not this year.

    Which may mean that the industry players are going to have to show some patience until harvest can happen in spring, because of course crop insurance won’t pay until you harvest the bloody thing.

    When you can’t pay bills and have no idea what the crop will be in the spring, it makes for the longest winter you can imagine. Reply With Quote
    Oct 5, 2019 | 09:05 8 Only experience with crop left out was swathed wheat, before the days of wildlife damage compensation.
    Most of canola crop still in swath this year along with some standing wheat, wondering what to expect if it stays out over winter. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Oct 5, 2019 | 09:08 9
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepwheat View Post
    I have left crop out. It is THE most stressful and financially damaging thing I can think of in farming. But I have only ever left out 60% of my crop. Lol, ONLY 60%.... This year it could be the whole thing. The only thing is misery loves company, so where I felt alone before, I may not this year.

    Which may mean that the industry players are going to have to show some patience until harvest can happen in spring, because of course crop insurance won’t pay until you harvest the bloody thing.

    When you can’t pay bills and have no idea what the crop will be in the spring, it makes for the longest winter you can imagine.
    We never have been there , but close .
    For some to say don’t get too emotional, well you must have other sources if a great income off the farm . Reply With Quote
    Oct 5, 2019 | 09:47 10
    Quote Originally Posted by furrowtickler View Post
    We never have been there , but close .
    For some to say don’t get too emotional, well you must have other sources if a great income off the farm .
    Without the emotional attachment to the farm, 99.9% of us would have been long gone years ago. The other .1% would be admitted....

    Farming without emotions is not farming at all.... Reply With Quote

  • Oct 5, 2019 | 09:58 11
    Quote Originally Posted by agstar77 View Post
    Nothing more humbling for wanabe BTO s ,than the realization that we are all at the mercy of the weather no matter how good an operator you are. Unfortunately it takes a mental toll. Most farmers are too emotionally invested in their operation.
    I'm not even going to comment on this statement,,, I just want to repost it here to make sure everyone gets to see what this A hole thinks!

    Just remember this next time agstar77 bothers to post anything. Reply With Quote
  • 2 Likes


  • Blaithin's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 10:09 12 How can somebody not become emotionally invested in something they dedicate the majority of their hours every day in to succeeding...

    That'd be like saying too many people are too emotionally invested in their marriage and that’s why they end up hurt and divorcing.

    If it’s just a job to someone, fine. But farming is usually more than a job, it’s a lifestyle and yes, people tend to be emotionally involved in their lives.
    Last edited by Blaithin; Oct 5, 2019 at 13:18.
    Reply With Quote

  • Partners's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 12:00 13 Just read on discover Humboldt.
    Harvest at 50% because North East making progress.
    So farmers not that far behind.it states.
    So stop worrying guys.. Reply With Quote
    Oct 5, 2019 | 12:30 14 If this is a drying day.
    Hate to see a wet one. Reply With Quote
    biglentil's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 13:01 15 Wind finally ditched Misty for Sunshine! Lets get this party started! Reply With Quote
    Oct 5, 2019 | 13:03 16
    Quote Originally Posted by sawfly1 View Post
    If this is a drying day.
    Hate to see a wet one.
    Yeah, wet here too - was at half an inch by 9am, haven't been back out to check since. I reckon 7" in September here and over an inch in October already. Looks like a drying trend going forward though - hopefully it comes true for everyone to get back on the land.

    Got to ask SF3 though - did you just drive the swather into the slough for the photo op? There obviously wasn't any crop there. Reply With Quote

  • Oct 5, 2019 | 13:06 17 Whoa boys, it’s the first week of October, not December. Some area may get nuts kicked to next spring, but most will come off yet. Quality will suffer. Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 13:55 18
    Quote Originally Posted by biglentil View Post
    Wind finally ditched Misty for Sunshine! Lets get this party started!
    Might take a bit to get this party going.
    Next question will be how impatient to be....how tough?
    Tick tock tick tock Reply With Quote
    Blaithin's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 14:19 19
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    Might take a bit to get this party going.
    Next question will be how impatient to be....how tough?
    Tick tock tick tock
    Wheat's coming off at 19-20 here.

    Canola is still 20... nobody is touching that yet. Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 14:21 20
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaithin View Post
    Wheat's coming off at 19-20 here.

    Canola is still 20... nobody is touching that yet.
    Hard to justify drying feed wheat down from that mkisture level. Reply With Quote
    Blaithin's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 14:36 21
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    Hard to justify drying feed wheat down from that mkisture level.
    All 1's and 2's around here still. Anything lower tends to be from sprouts. Not that the price of No Protein 1 is a celebration to offset drying costs.

    I was just proven a liar. Seen a 13.4 canola but it's been swathed for a month. Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Oct 5, 2019 | 14:56 22
    Quote Originally Posted by agstar77 View Post
    Nothing more humbling for wanabe BTO s ,than the realization that we are all at the mercy of the weather no matter how good an operator you are. Unfortunately it takes a mental toll. Most farmers are too emotionally invested in their operation.

    I never wanted to be a BTO when we were young farmers, operating on a shoestring, doing everything we could to stay a float. It wasn’t that much fun. We stayed in because that’s where our life, our friends and our family was. Stressful times for young people and I wouldn’t want to make light of their trials no matter what size they are. R-E-S-P-E-C-T Reply With Quote

  • farmaholic's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 15:20 23 Hand thrashed canola and yellow mustard are untestable.

    Name:  20191005_151225.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  92.0 KB
    Suprisingly its brighter yellow than the picrure shows👍.

    Good drying day here now. Hope we don't lose our gains to the 30% chance of rain tonight. Reply With Quote
    fjlip's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 16:00 24
    Quote Originally Posted by farmaholic View Post
    Hand thrashed canola and yellow mustard are untestable.

    Name:  20191005_151225.jpg
Views: 1378
Size:  92.0 KB
    Suprisingly its brighter yellow than the picrure shows👍.

    Good drying day here now. Hope we don't lose our gains to the 30% chance of rain tonight.
    12.1 hand threshed, canola, dry tomorrow, swathed over a month.
    Neighbor tried with combine across the road, swathed even longer ago, 13%
    Last edited by fjlip; Oct 5, 2019 at 17:04.
    Reply With Quote
    biglentil's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 16:18 25 Standing canola testing 18. Black clouds rolling in. Reply With Quote
    biglentil's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 16:32 26
    Quote Originally Posted by biglentil View Post
    Standing canola testing 18. Black clouds rolling in.
    Yep raining Reply With Quote
    Oct 5, 2019 | 17:11 27 Only 10? You sure farm in a nice place. Relax, that's nothing. Reply With Quote
    Oct 5, 2019 | 17:15 28 No rain but swathed canola off charts 15 + Reply With Quote
    farmaholic's Avatar Oct 5, 2019 | 18:24 29
    Quote Originally Posted by tweety View Post
    Only 10? You sure farm in a nice place. Relax, that's nothing.
    Quit trying to be a warble. Its October and dry grain is going to be, or mjght be, harder to get. I wish I had a crystal ball that worked. Anyone know any good "MISFORTUNE" tellers? And alot of people have alot to do, everyone is in the same boat. Such a wide area. Drew sent out an audio byte....we aren't out of the woods yet and there is some shit coming for some areas. For us...we need to get through tonight's chance of rain. Then early next week it looks crappy again. We need an October drought! Ok Oct/Nov, so everyone gets done! Reply With Quote
  • 1 Like


  • Oct 5, 2019 | 18:38 30 Tried my first sample today. Swathed was 23 and standing was 19 and I don't have a dryer.
    Any other year I'd be stressed but my son went under a truck last harvest and had 8 weeks in intensive care before leaving with a pacemaker, my mom died on christmas eve and my dad died in July. So this crappy weather doesn't seem to compare.

    It's only a crop and having a heart attack stressing won't change the weather.
    Last edited by Ronski; Oct 5, 2019 at 18:39. Reason: Spelling
    Reply With Quote