• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canada's National Beef Strategy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canada's National Beef Strategy

http://beefstrategy.com/

An interesting and important read. I don't agree with all of it, but I do think we need some kind of strategy in a complicated, fast moving world.

Originally posted by smcgrath76 View Post
    http://beefstrategy.com/

An interesting and important read. I don't agree with all of it, but I do think we need some kind of strategy in a complicated, fast moving world.
    We do need a strategy and Canada is definitely ahead of the game. On first read and first thought - my biggest fear is vertical integration. I don't know about any of you other producers, but living through BSE has taught us a lot of things. We are pretty efficient and effective in our operation. The 2 bullets that I have concerns about 'what it actually means for me as a primary producer' are:

GENETIC SELECTION
    1. The Canadian Beef Innovation Network will provide producers
    with world leading scientific based selection tools that will
    allow them to make informed herd management decisions
    2. Increase producer knowledge and adoption of genetic
    selection tools
    INFORMATION FLOW
    • Guiding Principles for industry investments and partnerships in
    digital technology are outlined

Comment

Seems fairly generic..... I would think most producers were thinking of the majority of that long before now. Although if organizations are getting more involved then it should help the industry be more uniform... maybe.... Or just add bureaucratic hoops to jump through to get similar prices to what we do now.

Not sure I'm a fan of how CAFO oriented the website seems to be. While it doesn't specifically focus on implicitly saying "feedlots", most of it's multi media is focusing on it. People look at photos more than they read, especially if they can't understand what they're reading. In a world at war against CAFO's I'm not sure that website would be giving:

Consumer Confidence
      2: Improve the effectiveness and reach of consumer communication.

Comment

You'll have to excuse my cynicism but there is no strategy - certainly not as portrayed on that website. The idea that we are all working together as "an industry" is a joke. It's a fragmented, parasitic scene where the feedlot owners are victims of captive supply and price manipulation practices. They download their misfortune on the cow/calf sector through their auction mart order buyers. Feedlot operators, order buyers and ranchers fighting each other for the crumbs that are not enough to sustain all of us. We have 2 foreign packers handling 90% of the kill and deciding exactly how much they will pay for the cattle and where they want to sell the beef. The farmers and ranchers involved in cattle production up to the point of slaughter have zero input. Well that's not really true - their input through checkoff pays the advertising budget for the entire beef sector as well as paying for this kind of nonsense. There is no strategy - this is all our checkoff dollars buy us - a few industry reps in office jobs spinning a yarn about the great industry that we are part of .....but in fact we really aren't - just to distract ranchers so we keep our noses to the grindstone and continue to facilitate the resource extraction by 2 transnational corporations.

Comment

We still have the welfare cowboys running the grass roots as they have the free grass and resource revenue,by the fact they were there first, and they have mega$ from oil to pay the political machine,there is no concenus in the beef buisness.
          I see where the lease holders have gone to gov to ask to have rates increased for fear of a countervaling duty on exports because of low rates,of course as in most announcments they dont mention prices other than 2.5 mill,which is app what the gov collects now. $1.39 per mo in northern areas up to 2.79 in south, along with upwards of 100 mill (could be less now with oil co shutting down) in resource revenue.
          Wonder what would happen if gov gave those orphan wells to the lease holders as they seem to think the are entitled to all this lease money,lit them clean them up,but then i supose they would download wells on free hold land also.
          According to this artical Manatoba is fighting mad at new regs being proposed there,15 yr instead of 50 yr lease ,open auction on leases,higher prices.
          Grassfarmer what do you know about the welfare situation in Manatoba, In alta it would be about 6% of true value. How many of you grain farmers would like to rent land for 5 to 8$/acre???

Comment

[B]
            grassfarmer are you quota supply controlled guaranteed income farmer by the sounds of your up to date on alta beef business
            why are milk producers dumping millions of kg dumping or hauling to the bioplants ?????
            and this is government controlled farming on quota
            we all loose on this china virus hitting the whole world ! yes we are all in it together .
            there be a better world after this together back to basic and less spending
            no body is dying off hunger like the last world war I remember.
            stay healthy and be happy

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.