• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RR Wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RR Wheat

I see this on DTN today;

"Monsanto Halts GMO Wheat Program

05/10 08:30
    WASHINGTON (OsterDowJones) - The Monsanto Co. has halted all research and development efforts for its Roundup Ready variety of biotech wheat, a spokesman said Monday.

Strife between U.S. wheat producers over the viability of the product as well as longer-than-expected deadlines for commercial production were key factors in Monsanto's decision, spokesman Chris Horner said Monday. Horner said, "It looked like it might take longer than expected."

He also stressed that spring wheat acreage has declined since Monsanto began developing Roundup Ready wheat.

"As a result of our portfolio review and dialogue with wheat industry leaders, we recognize the business opportunities with Roundup Ready spring wheat are less attractive relative to Monsanto's other commercial priorities," Carl Casale, executive vice president of Monsanto, said in a press release Monday...."

The market has spoken...

Tom,

I'm not so sure the market has spoken here. Not one single bushel of RR Wheat ever changed hands between buyer and seller. Demand was never established via any sort of trade in RR Wheat.

No Tom, the market was never even allowed to speak.

Monsanto just quit trying to push a rope. I can't say as I blame them.

Just don't expect any private money and research going into wheat anytime soon. Maybe my children's generation will dig their heads out of the sand long enough to realize that wheat isn't as sacred as many around the world like to think it is.

And another thing, this is the first time ever, where a new product or technology needed 100% consumer endorsment before being allowed to be even introduced. Imagine if Bill Gates had had to have 100% consumer endorsement before introducing Windows.
    Or Sony had to have that level of acceptance of for many of it's products before introduction to the marketplace?

I fear that we have lost far more that we will ever know.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.