• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest Progress

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest Progress

Lots of guys have been putting details in different threads, but if you're interested, throw your numbers into one place.

I'll start:
    SE Alberta
    ~roughly 66% done myself, probably on par with long term average, but WAY behind where I thought I'd be considering I started the first week of August
    -area farms anywhere from 5% to 70% done.

-durum taken with decent quality, but weight will make it a 2cwad. Poor yield.

-25% of wheat taken with decent quality, rest is heavily bleached on top of heavily heat/drought stressed. Average yield.

-peas taken with decent quality except some low spots I'm hoping to wipe out before the next round of rain/snow. Exceptional yield.

-mustard still sitting in the field. Yield expected to be poor

Way way behind rains every second day. Spit already a few times today. 18% no one is close to done. East central

Comment

Up to zero percent done here as of today. Nothing even close to being ready. But if this yr.no forecast is even remotely correct, -12 should hastten maturity in a b ig and not positive way. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190923_164558.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	767789

Comment

Zero percent. Only stuff combined here has been freaking wet barley by a few guys with big dryers.

Rained today. Forecast had none. Forecast looks nasty.

I have oats that’s a week away if it was nice. Wheat a couple weeks? Lots of canola just going down now, green too. My flax will be a write off as it still is freaking blooming. Ripest flax in the field is kind of lime green to very light brown. Frost will crank it.

Wasn’t too concerned a couple weeks back, but now it’s freaking me out some. As it is with others. One guy cut canola three weeks ago it was testing 20 yesterday.

Bales wet hay today just to be done with it already. The bales will heat no doubt.

Comment

Canola done swathed today at a good staging. HRS wheat mostly ready with random green patches throughout. Sprayed just over a week ago. Hay done ish. No combining yet. Practice combining tomorrow on ripe wheat if no rain.

Comment

It was a big day out in Gumbo Flats 🤑 320 acres of durum down the tubes - not bad, not pristine, but wheat all combined. Durum got down under 16 for awhile. Good Luck all our Agriville friends and keep safe.

Comment

Originally posted by Wheatking
              We just passed the 40% mark today. Got the barley all done, and most should be salvagable as malt, between 0% chit to 20% with most being 5%. We dried 100% of our barley this year, with most testing between 19 to 21. Yields are avg for us which is between 90 and 100, seems most neighbours barley is running 100+, heard as high as 130. Not sure what I did wrong.

I would guess most in the area are done barley with 40% being malt, which is done from 90% in most years.

Wheat is maybe 50% done, not sure on quality, or yields.

Most peas are done except my peaola field, which still needs a few days. Standing good so I hope it handles the shit weather ok.

Just started on oats and it looks to be an average year. I'm guessing 1/4 of the oats are done.

Canola, I would guess 90% is safe from a frost. Very little off, and I'm guessing average yields.

We have got close to 5" of rain since harvest has started, but the fields are amazingly dry, and for that I'm grateful when I hear of the hell others are going through. I think most in our area are 1/3 to 50% done. It's been such a slow harvest with not being able to start until 1 and shutting down at 7, but we've only been taking what we can dry.

Good luck to everyone and stay safe.
              I assume your peaola field is intentional? What has been your experience, harvest & standability, yield, weed control etc? Have heard about it but havent seen it.

Comment

No combining on our farm so far, area has just started, not general harvest yet. Lots of green canola, most coming down this week even if not ready, lots of green wheat still. Frost forcasted could make lots of sub par feed wheat. I think cereal and canola yields will be very good, above average, but quality may be down. 1st cut hay done, some just last week some 2nd cut down. Lots of moisture around, not drying weather but ground is not wet.

Comment

Almost 25% done. Peas were worst ever. HRS wheat has been good, highest field so far low 90's. Not a bushel of dry grain off yet. Canola should beat the frost, one field of wheat and some fababeans could get hurt.

Comment

Central Alberta

We are roughly 25% done. Peas are done, roughly 40 bpa, not too much earth tag but really don't look that great. Finished barley today, grew all feed barley happy with yields and quality. Just started on CPS wheat tonight. Canola is all swathed, was probably 70% color turn, looked good. Not looking forward too another cold wet shitty fall. One interesting note, grain dryers are popping up with increasing frequency in the area. 2 neighbors set them up this year. Our weather is certainly becoming less hospitable in the spring and fall and certainly not f#+#ing warmer. Crops at least 2 weeks behind this year in this area. As of Jan. 1, 2020 the Trudeau carbon tax will come into effect in Alberta, just got rid of the Notley carbon tax. Certainly will add a little sting to drying grain as it ramps up to $50 a tonne by 2022.

Comment

NE Sk , 40% done, barley , oats, peas done
                      some canola and wheat done

Comment

North Central SK
                        40% done
                        Barley and Oats finished
                        Wheat 80% done
                        Canola 0%

Comment

Not much happening for a few days now ...rain last night...

RANT ALERT.....why is it that we have spent billions on climate change analysis based on daily weather reports and other things to look 50 years into the future when a 3 day or 3 hour forecast isn't or can't be right??????

There were 100% chances in May for rain that never materialized and now a 30 percent chance turns into 100% 2 or 3 tenth downpour at 9pm....

For the enviro whacks about climate change....get more accurate forecast before you start telling me that the world is going to end in 12 years...or there is a climate emergency...

Because right now farmers have a crop emergency that is being completely ignored...
                          Last edited by bucket; Sep 24, 2019, 06:01.

Comment

Wow, is the forecast ugly for here!

Annoying factoid.....

Weather is enough of a harvest impediment this year, then throw in an annoying small breakdown!

Squeeze harvest in in between the breaks from the crap weather and hope like hell there is no machinery breakdowns during those opportunities. It is so important on one combine farms. I usually look over the combine well in harvest down time but there is just some things you can't see or miss or impossible to predict.

Annoying is cheap and poor engineering. And having the problem being fixed or rectified with the same shit that failed.

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                              It is so important on one combine farms.
                              Boy you called my harvest exactly right. Rear tire on 9600 goes out, wait a day to get it in. Some shaft under the cab looks like its losing a bearing, lose a day and JD service visit. Then fire in the guts in the 9600. Takes us out for 3 days just before the big rain.

Add in a lot of misty mornings and big dew and night time humidity and the harvestable hours have been really cut.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...