• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stocks to invest in

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stocks to invest in

Inspired by jazz in the "something to be proud of thread"

Originally posted by jazz View Post

Use your aginvest to buy Weston stock.
    I've thought about this on occasion. Throw some of your profits into stocks elsewhere in the food chain. Become "vertically integrated" through your stock portfolio. If you can't make money as a primary producer, glean some of the middlemen's income that they glean off your production.

What is there to look at?

Equipment - Deere, RME, CNH, Cervus

Fertilizer - Nutrien, Mosaic

Grain handling - ??? Are there any that are not privately owned now? AGT is the only one that comes to mind, but it went private this year

processing and retail - Tyson foods, nestle, general mills, saputo, loblaws, weston

.....you " shouldn't" have to!

You are creating enough value, you just need the ability to keep more of it.

But rules and legislation ( read....SeedTax) will be enacted to ensure plant breeders' research and development will have an ROI!

Comment

One I'd look at if you're serious is JBS the Brazilian company - the world's meat processor. Shares have increased dramatically since they overcame the Government corruption scandal. Predictions are current $14 share goes to $25 in a year, $70 in 5 years. Not what I'd call ethical investing but these crooks seem to have the game figured out pretty well. Currently receiving USDA farm bail out funds and using it to ship Brazilian pork to China.

Comment

Originally posted by Marusko View Post
        Inspired by jazz in the "something to be proud of thread"

I've thought about this on occasion. Throw some of your profits into stocks elsewhere in the food chain. Become "vertically integrated" through your stock portfolio. If you can't make money as a primary producer, glean some of the middlemen's income that they glean off your production.

What is there to look at?

Equipment - Deere, RME, CNH, Cervus

Fertilizer - Nutrien, Mosaic

Grain handling - ??? Are there any that are not privately owned now? AGT is the only one that comes to mind, but it went private this year

processing and retail - Tyson foods, nestle, general mills, saputo, loblaws, weston

-AGT received 117 million
        -Loblaws received money ...no fine for price fixing
        -P&H received 10million for flour Mills in ontario
        - nutrien and mosaic are on royalty holidays

Comment

The only way to increase your part of the value chain is get closer to the consumer and most farmers I know dont really want to do that, myself included. That would mean more value processing and frontline sales at a retail location of some form. Most farmers just say f it and get more land.

Investing is sort of a happy medium. No extra steps involved and harvest some gains right off those end companues that do deal with customers. And you can diversify outside ag. Thats important. I hold shares of banks that hold my mortgages and big integrated utilities.

I get a little dividend cheque rain or shine. Lands right in my bank account every month untaxed.
          Last edited by jazz; Sep 13, 2019, 12:23.

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
            -AGT received 117 million
            -Loblaws received money ...no fine for price fixing
            -P&H received 10million for flour Mills in ontario
            - nutrien and mosaic are on royalty holidays
            All the more reason to own a bit

Comment

There's others that haven't made the jump yet. Baby boomer equity is all tied up in the house, so they can "CHIP" it, or sell and move to the sun belt, downsize into a trailer, drive around in a golf cart and drink all day. There's people actually flipping trailer parks, buy junk, totally give it a do over, then kick the retired whiteys out for illegal Mexicans that pay in cash, never cause a ruckus and basically are never seen. It's the fallout of the housing bubble. Big IF but if you bought the low at $7~ in 09 you'd be the Mr Leahy or Ricky or Julian or Bubbles.... there's cash in it.
              Last edited by macdon02; Sep 13, 2019, 22:41.

Comment

Invest short term in big screen TVs

Comment

Nat gas is the other sector im looking at this fall, its been beat for so long. Can't keep outlawing coal without a replacement. None of this canuck shit though, has to be priced in USD. Chesapeake, Duke, CNQ if you have to stay Canadian. There's others. It's clean, it's feasible and whether we are warming or cooling its a win. It's just beat for too long since Enron. Not so much a trade as a buy and hold.
                  Last edited by macdon02; Sep 13, 2019, 22:53.

Comment

Originally posted by macdon02 View Post
                    Nat gas is the other sector im looking at this fall, its been beat for so long. Can't keep outlawing coal without a replacement. None of this canuck shit though, has to be priced in USD. Chesapeake, Duke, CNQ if you have to stay Canadian. There's others. It's clean, it's feasible and whether we are warming or cooling its a win. It's just beat for too long since Enron. Not so much a trade as a buy and hold.
                    Which American natural gas stock is looking the best?

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                      Which American natural gas stock is looking the best?
                      With the island top in ng, it isn't looking good. Step aside time if in. New lows could be possible. Massive shortages of propane being reported but there's no long trade possibilities till into the new year now. Looking at first week of Jan.

Comment

I wouldn’t touch natural gas yet, producers have a surplus, pipelines are full, and oil focussed wells are just flaring the gas (burning it up) so they don’t have to deal with it. This is US too. Chesapeake heading for bankruptcy.
                        I also wouldn’t touch any farm equipment manufacturer at this time, but that’s just me.

Comment

You guys are already in the commodities business, dont go further in.

Has your bank ever lost money?

My bank pays my home mortgage for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Marusko View Post
                            What about Bunge or ADM shares?

Most other companies aren’t listed.

Comment

I own NTR on that list and think it will do well this winter. Unlike CWRS, corn prices are actually higher than last year. Some US farmers are harvesting a good crop of corn right now and others are collecting lavish insurance money. Combine that with MFP payments and higher milk prices and the US farmer for the most part is sitting good. There are a few exceptions though. So fertilizer will be bought for a larger corn plantings in spring of 2020. Machinery manufacturing could be good going into 2020 for the same reason. 2020 will in canuckistan witness the disappearance of the pulse industry needing more fertilizer for wheat, barley, oats and canola which will all be up in 20. Food processing is generally a dud as far as profitability is concerned but I recently picked up RSI because the dividend works for me. A&W restaurant royalties may also be worth a look.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...