• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please, Just one more boom

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please, Just one more boom

Interesting opinion article on the future of Calgary. Will it become the next Detroit?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-future-oil-industry-max-fawcett-part-one-1.5273170 https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-future-oil-industry-max-fawcett-part-one-1.5273170

Was dealing with a guy from the States on car parts....
    He called Detroit "Detroilet".

Saw a show on TV about some of those once booming cities and how some areas of them look like abandoned ghost towns, schools and public building closed and falling into ruins. It was surprising. Sad.

Comment

Yea saw that too
      A person was driving and videoing and thing that really stuck in my mind was a pit bull looking out an upstairs window
      Apparently wild dogs have taken over houses and live in them
      Entire blocks just deserted , how does that much cement , pavement, housing ruins and stores ever get turned back to viable farmland

Comment

Im hoping for one more boom in this bullshit, leach ridden buisness

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
          Im hoping for one more boom in this bullshit, leach ridden buisness
          Just like my dad, i got in at the tail end of a boom.

I would imagine my kids will get in right at the tail end of the next one...

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
            Just like my dad, i got in at the tail end of a boom.

I would imagine my kids will get in right at the tail end of the next one...
            Calgary sits next to the most popular national park in the country. I think enhanced eco tourism would be the next logical idea. Detroit has none of that.

Comment

Calgary's economy is becoming more diversified outside of oil. Over the next ten years there will be a huge change in the economy in my view. Technology growth and more tech head offices will lead-the-way (IMO). The city has a highly educated population and this diversification should help stabilize the boom and bust cycle of energy.

For ten years in-a-row, Calgary has been ranked in the top-5 most liveable cities in North America, In the past two years, Calgary has been ranked #1 in North America.

https://www.calgaryeconomicdevelopment.com/newsroom/calgary-named-most-livable-city-in-north-america/

Comment

I think the people paying 100% more taxes over the last few years may disagree.

Comment

I bet there will be another oil boom, we just aren't there yet. Regardless as Errol says, Calgary is not as energy reliant as the media and the rest if the country think. Population is young, independent and strong willed, and from their backgrounds of resource and agriculture, the entrepreneurial thought process and ability to adapt and master a variety of tasks is strong. Places like Detroit had a couple generations of assembly line workers that were used to repetitive tasks and used to being taken care of by a union. Not trying to point fingers but it's hard to change the mentality of what you grew up with.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...