• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad pic

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sad pic

Some o Australia’s prime double crop country
    Click image for larger version

Name:	7FA9CB03-6A35-4B53-8890-B6871E9E049A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	778556

Sad to see
    I know we are not happy about the continued wet conditions here in Sask ,but that for sure is sobering and far worse than our situation.
    Hopefully they have some level of insurance.

Strange thing is , well it’s not anymore actually, not a word in our markets hardly at all . All they can talk about here in Canada is this huge fake surplus of carryover.

Comment

That is a horrible thing to experience as a farmer. Chin up malle things will change. Hopefully.

Comment

I live in a dryer part of Saskatchewan. I can remember several years like that when we still did tillage.

Unfortunately people like Austranada would prefer if we return to that.

I hear the wildfires have started. Take care and hopefully you aren't near any.
        Last edited by LEP; Sep 12, 2019, 08:57.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
          I live in a dryer part of Saskatchewan. I can remember several years like that when we still did tillage.

Unfortunately people like Austranada would prefer if we return to that.

I hear the wildfires have started. Take care and hopefully you aren't near any.
          I do not condone tillage just because I've expressed my opinion for the need to get rid of glyphoshit. Some guys don't know how to farm without it and indeed don't want to. The treadmill is ironically too easy. Regenerative models of production are slowly taking over.

Comment

Arguably, a healthy cover crop under a regenerative regime could have kept that soil in place. So, what cover crop do you recommend seeding that requires no moisture to germinate and grow?

Comment

you guys struggle with australian farming concepts NO INSURANCE.

some multi peril stuff starting up but premium arm and a leg.

This area the guy said 90mm of rain ytd in 700mm area. Usually a winter crop and summer crop.

Frost area increasing can put up picks from southern coastal areas in WA canola in full flower turning as if it been sprayed with a 24d chem.

Public opinion about 60 minutes story or myth which ever side your on has been overwhelming and suprisingly good.

Most thought it would blow over quickly and has.

You can have world best chem farming methods organic farming methods bad farming methods if a frost comes at wrong time your stuffed or not enough rain to germinate or in above picture to even plant.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                Arguably, a healthy cover crop under a regenerative regime could have kept that soil in place. So, what cover crop do you recommend seeding that requires no moisture to germinate and grow?
                Hey resident strawman, you're just trying to set up yet another strawman argument. Pity your husband.

Comment

Devils advocate and might get flamed not my intention and sorry if I offend anyone in advance.

I know you have harvest issues every year and frost from time to time.

But have you guys ever had total crop loss through dry in say since 1990?

Comment

I feel qualified to reply to you mallee. This year the worst part of the farm received 1.75 inches or about 40mm. Up to 75 mm. After two successive dry years.

We will harvest about 14 or 15 bu ave on lentils. Hearing 20 bu on durum and 15 to 20 on canola.

In my memory we have had 3 real bad ones 1988, 2002 and 2009. 2009 was very localized but I didn't harvest a bushel because I took it out of production and collected crop insurance. So in that way we are lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post
                      Devils advocate and might get flamed not my intention and sorry if I offend anyone in advance.

'02 was awful close... single digit wheat yields are damned close to failure territory.

I was mowing kochia today... 7hrs with a 10ft schulte. When you're going 3mph in one place for long enough you start to notice things you've never noticed before...

So I was gazing at the regrassed pasture beside me and seen little pieces of wood sticking out of a pronounced mound of dirt running the entire 1/2 mile of a quarter section. It was a fenceline, and the ridge was blow dirt either from the 30s or the 80s. 4' high posts have only about 6" of wood still exposed. No wonder it was seeded back to grass.

Comment

There is a world of hurt lining up in this neighborhood...

Guys took 1/4s and 1/2s that were split into at least 4 strip fields, to minimize erosion, and turned them into huge wide open fields when they started chemfallowing. Now that kochia has become groups 2, 4, and 9 resistant, steel is starting to become popular again.

Harrows, deadrods, even high speed tillage are all the rage again... If we end up with a dry windy spring it's going to make the soil erosion of the 80s look minor by comparison!

Comment

Originally posted by malleefarmer View Post

2000-2004 over much of western Canada

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                            I feel qualified to reply to you mallee. This year the worst part of the farm received 1.75 inches or about 40mm. Up to 75 mm. After two successive dry years.

We will harvest about 14 or 15 bu ave on lentils. Hearing 20 bu on durum and 15 to 20 on canola.

In my memory we have had 3 real bad ones 1988, 2002 and 2009. 2009 was very localized but I didn't harvest a bushel because I took it out of production and collected crop insurance. So in that way we are lucky.
                            Tweety says quit complaining, you absolutely can’t lose farming here in western Canada. He has stated numerous times as others we are so subsidized and protected and entitled that there is now way we should ever whine and complain............... just saying , that’s the attitude in the Ag Industry........

I want to see even one of them , ever , in the Ag Industry live off 80% less wage ... ever. We did , and many others , for 4 years and still managed ....... they would be F-U-K-E-D in 3 months...... absolutely true .
                            We did as Sheepwheat did , made changes , worked extra jobs , cut everything to the bone to survive .... yes sheepwheat , we’ve been there too ......
                            Last edited by furrowtickler; Sep 12, 2019, 20:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Austranada View Post
                              Hey resident strawman, you're just trying to set up yet another strawman argument. Pity your husband.
                              You presented regenerative farming as the solution to this problem. Can you elaborate on how that would be done? Do you know any producers in the affected area using your methods who have managed to avoid the same fate?

Seeing pictures such as that really concerns me. While nothing we do is truly sustainable, losing topsoil is just devastating when you consider the implications, especially if it is preventable.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...