• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sad pic

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for replies. You do indeed know what crap shoots are apologies.

In 17 when I was there lethbridge looked ordinary but harvestable.

Our latest GM project in South Australia taking a gene from middle eastern wild barley Iran I think another gene from a German barley and presuming it’s going into a south Australian barley, they replicate drought conditions and low humidity and wind in a glass house it’s produing 20 to 25% more biomass. See what happpens with yield.

So good to catch up in gm stakes.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

Seeing pictures such as that really concerns me.
      Really concerns you! Gee that's nice

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
        There is a world of hurt lining up in this neighborhood...

Guys took 1/4s and 1/2s that were split into at least 4 strip fields, to minimize erosion, and turned them into huge wide open fields when they started chemfallowing. Now that kochia has become groups 2, 4, and 9 resistant, steel is starting to become popular again.

Harrows, deadrods, even high speed tillage are all the rage again... If we end up with a dry windy spring it's going to make the soil erosion of the 80s look minor by comparison!
        Sorry to change topics but is there a lot of glyphosate resistant wild oats around on the prairies? I see an awful lot of fields of canola around here with a healthy wild oat population.

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
          Sorry to change topics but is there a lot of glyphosate resistant wild oats around on the prairies? I see an awful lot of fields of canola around here with a healthy wild oat population.
          When one is growing crops , round up ready canola or any crop , in dry conditions at herbicide time , second and third flushing does happen .
          That is by far the most likely reason grass. Most were done the weed control before any significant rains started . And glyphosate, being a non residual herbicide like many other herbicides used in all crops , has no control of flushing weeds after they have been applied. Thus any weeds that came up when finally receiving moisture would not be controlled. It’s just that the wild oats are the easiest to spot because of their plant height.
          Also dry conditions in many areas , lead to poor uneven canola establishments. That leads to poor weed competition as well . Most weed control products are used at rates the require good crop competition . That was not the case this year in many of those canola crops in many areas . Thus you get much higher than normal “escapes” with certain weeds.
          I hope that gives you a better understanding of how weed control actually works , or not work so well , depending on crop conditions and weather.

Comment

Late rains. Spray once or twice with any of the systems it didn’ Matter. May look like shit but probably not going to affect yield, just looks like what a good organic field should look like.
            There is always next year to get ‘em!!

Comment

I doubt it because we are seeing them in RR fields also . Dont think any are resistant to roundup yet or even liberty if it decides to work , most are resistant to group 1
              It was just a backwards spring , and wild oats didnt start coming until canola flowering

Comment

Of course some of it is resistant. How many times do you have to see the proof with your own eyes that chem farming is collapsing

Comment

In crop spraying this year was a bust...completely missed the flush and a wild oat needs only 28 days from germination to heading out....

All the rains were millet makers as well...

Comment

Like most all of you these past few years have been astounding with the weather we as farmers have to deal with. For us its been the rain. In 2010 heavy rain started in the spring that continued for year until the last couple dry years. Never seen before in recorded history. That being said I am sure rains like this happened in the past. As far as the dry goes, I used to shake my head at the Palliser Triangle. How did he get it so wrong? It sound now like he came into the area in the midst of a very long drought. Kinda scary that some say it is pretty certain that there has been a 1000 year droughts in north America in the past. It is my understanding that there was basically no cultivated agriculture in Saskatchewan at all before the 1700's.
                    This is telling when you think that a lot of other places did see cultivation and not just a nomadic hunter gatherer existence. If the last 100 years has been an aberration and we will see the return to the normal, how agriculture will exist will change for sure. What will be decided if it will be growing crops or grazing livestock.

Comment

It would be a challenge to return to tillage.
                      Remember quack grass .
                      Still haunts me the things I did before. No till.
                      You just can not go back .
                      Especially when you consider the light fluffy mulch
                      30 years of no till has built up.
                      You get an 02 or 1988 where untouched fields turned to powder. Like the Spring of 88.
                      That layer could be gone in a week.
                      You had better have some new chemistry or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Austranada View Post
                        Of course some of it is resistant. How many times do you have to see the proof with your own eyes that chem farming is collapsing
                        It not collapsing. Some farmers are learning the hard way good management and chemical rotation. At farm meetings for years we have been warned about being able to keep more chemical options in the toolbox to be able to use. Abuse any one chemical group will cause issues down the road. Any of you every go to the old North Dakota Manitoba Zero till conventions ? Used to draw a couple thousand. Guys like Dr Dwayne Beck were talking a lot of years ago about crop and chemical rotation. Warm season and cool season crops. For me the issue with this is always been the challenge of prices and marketing of some crops. We are no different than most others growing too much Canola and wheat because it pays the bills. The bottom line is that in the long term the farmers who maintain a diverse rotation will be able to use a lot of chemicals with modes of action that will work. Good old 2-4D that my father used 60 years ago works great on a lot of weeds.

Comment

Go back in your hole , you have no clue as to conditions here at herbicide time .
                          Not one shred of evidence for gly tolerant wild oats in Manitoba.
                          How many times do you have to spread b/S from the other side of the planet and have zero clue about what’s actually happening in the fields here . Pathetic actually

Comment

Originally posted by jamesb View Post
                            As far as the dry goes, I used to shake my head at the Palliser Triangle. How did he get it so wrong? It sound now like he came into the area in the midst of a very long drought. Kinda scary that some say it is pretty certain that there has been a 1000 year droughts in north America in the past. It is my understanding that there was basically no cultivated agriculture in Saskatchewan at all before the 1700's.
                            This is telling when you think that a lot of other places did see cultivation and not just a nomadic hunter gatherer existence. If the last 100 years has been an aberration and we will see the return to the normal, how agriculture will exist will change for sure. What will be decided if it will be growing crops or grazing livestock.
                            No doubt the cycles will repeat.

Not sure we will get the option to decide if it is crops of livestock. It would only take a few years of extreme dry, while producers keep attempting the status quo while waiting for a return to normal. With no annual crops growing, even without tillage, and no ability to establish grass without enough moisture, the soil may not stick around long enough to do so. Unless we get enough early warning, and are smart enough to head it, it could be the end of agriculture in the semi arid prairies.

Comment

I have tried tillage radish but an interesting point....it needs water as well...

Comment

Really concerns you! Gee that's nice
                                It concerns me enough that I am willing to waste my time engaging with uninformed Internet trolls who would have us turn the clock back by decades by removing the tools humans have developed allowing us to avoid such a fate.

I was offering you the chance to share your wisdom on regenerative methods, which are a big part of the solution, but instead you revert to your usual anti-glyphosate rants, and childish insults. Do you have anything constructive to add?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...
                                X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                                You agree to our and by clicking I agree.