• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain showers on que ...

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain showers on que ...

Yup it’s been 15 hrs
    Had lite showers this morning
    Knocking on door again now
    Fak it bed time
    Standing wheat dry now .

They backed off the heavy rain for us till the next afternoon. It just means the system is slowing down. God, I hope we don't get the 75 mm they are talking about over the week.

No more rain.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
      They backed off the heavy rain for us till the next afternoon. It just means the system is slowing down. God, I hope we don't get the 75 mm they are talking about over the week.

No more rain.
      If that Idaho low shows up here ...its hello October and feed wheat...

Comment

The stage is being set for us to lose tens of thousands in value in the Ghetto's wheat crop.
        This is going to hurt!

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
          The stage is being set for us to lose tens of thousands in value in the Ghetto's wheat crop.
          This is going to hurt!
          Tens of thousands??????

This rain has the potential to take a billion out of Saskatchewan's farmers...here is my reasoning for the expert lurkers....

Canola will survive the rain actually probably help it for green counts but " rain makes grain" and prices will fall for canola...

Wheat and durum will take a quality hit ...prices will fall..

Durum coming in at elevator yesterday....shrivelled but colour and probably protein but a 4cwad on weight....

Wheat might maintain a 2 but sprouting issues and there will be more on the ground and not by swathing...

Comment

The solution to all farm problems is cash advance. Trade problems, cash advance. Weather problems, cash advance. Low prices, cash advance.

Comment

Add in bushel weight losses

Comment

Originally posted by farming101 View Post
                Add in bushel weight losses
                Last year ours was 415-418g/0.5 liter.

Comment

So now we will pay a seed tax to deliver feed wheat? Only in Canada.

Comment

South sask got rain Friday night and Saturday morning.so combining yesterday today or tomorrow.Prbably for 10 days the way the forcast looks.september usually is iffy for harvest weather but never got August weather this year like we usually get.

Comment

That is no combining yesterday today tomorrow .typo on previous post.

Comment

So far Sept is living up to its reputation in spades for "potentially" being a "pissy" harvest month, I told the Apprentice it can be this way.
                        And yup, August didn't really co-operate well either....especially with a crop that was behind schedule to start with.

We were usually pretty lucky getting our cereals off in good shape, I don't remember the last time we will have had this big of a quality issue. Oh well, at least the yield is respectable.....we'll make it up in volume....right Bucket?

Comment

Originally posted by farmaholic View Post
                          So far Sept is living up to its reputation in spades for "potentially" being a "pissy" harvest month, I told the Apprentice it can be this way.
                          And yup, August didn't really co-operate well either....especially with a crop that was behind schedule to start with.

We were usually pretty lucky getting our cereals off in good shape, I don't remember the last time we will have had this big of a quality issue. Oh well, at least the yield is respectable.....we'll make it up in volume....right Bucket?
                          More rain = more feed quality = lower more pathetic prices = ..........
                          Sure hope da culonies pigs are going to be hungry.

Comment

Originally posted by MBgrower View Post
                            So now we will pay a seed tax to deliver feed wheat? Only in Canada.
                            Or , in the near future with cereals , be force to buy all seed and can not even keep your own . It will follow the canola model .
                            But here’s the rub , look at the current weather situation everywhere. So , like here , one was fortunate enough to get some good wheat off that looks like this ..

It’s going to be 99% pure seed , 99% germ , high vigour zero disease seed . But we will be unable to save for own use seed, so have to sell into market for an outstanding $5.60/bus . Then be forced to go buy new “seed” for $18/bus that has been weathered and not near the quality of what you originally have ....
                            that’s the number one problem I have with this whole seed situation, it’s going to end up just like the canola model , anyone who says so is flat out lying. It may take a few years but that will be the end result .
                            Yes the new seed will still have to meet certification, but situations like this current weather set up will put good certified seed in a very short supply . It happened in this area last fall after 4 weeks of wet weather and snow . Good barley and oat seed were near non existent..
                            this is a big issue going forward with this seed tax . Right now they just want one to pay royalties, but it will end up being controlled just like canola , corn , soybeans .... and they will try to get $60-$80 / ac out of farmers for seed just like those crops. And one could end up having to sell excellent quality seed in the elevator pit and be forced to buy weathered diseased garbage for an over inflated price .
                            It will happen.

I could be wrong , but the writing is on the wall ... and I have been around long enough to see it

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                              Or , in the near future with cereals , be force to buy all seed and can not even keep your own . It will follow the canola model .
                              But here’s the rub , look at the current weather situation everywhere. So , like here , one was fortunate enough to get some good wheat off that looks like this ..

It’s going to be 99% pure seed , 99% germ , high vigour zero disease seed . But we will be unable to save for own use seed, so have to sell into market for an outstanding $5.60/bus . Then be forced to go buy new “seed” for $18/bus that has been weathered and not near the quality of what you originally have ....
                              that’s the number one problem I have with this whole seed situation, it’s going to end up just like the canola model , anyone who says so is flat out lying. It may take a few years but that will be the end result .
                              Yes the new seed will still have to meet certification, but situations like this current weather set up will put good certified seed in a very short supply . It happened in this area last fall after 4 weeks of wet weather and snow . Good barley and oat seed were near non existent..
                              this is a big issue going forward with this seed tax . Right now they just want one to pay royalties, but it will end up being controlled just like canola , corn , soybeans .... and they will try to get $60-$80 / ac out of farmers for seed just like those crops. And one could end up having to sell excellent quality seed in the elevator pit and be forced to buy weathered diseased garbage for an over inflated price .
                              It will happen.

I could be wrong , but the writing is on the wall ... and I have been around long enough to see it
                              If for some reason this joke was to happen is there even enough seed growers to produce enough seed for every farmer? Like Furrow said and what quality will they be selling? Most durum in 16 was full of fuzz including seed growers. I had enough good seed of my own to use.
                              They can and will set the prices high because of we will be forced to buy new seed.
                              I didn’t grow canola this year because of the ridiculous seed cost, now cereals will be priced out of this world also.
                              Maybe it’s time to think about doing something else.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...